1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: Configurable USB Loader using FAT32 Partition (NO WBFS PARTITION NEEDED)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by larrylje, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateX

NateX Member

Just a suggestion, but I'd seriously think twice before going w/the Seagate. I bought that same drive first and never got it to work. It IS on the combatibility list, so maybe I just got a bad apple, but I returned it and spent the exta $20 for a WD Passport Essential that's been flawless (and doesn't require separate power, is super portable, etc.).

2. tuna42

tuna42 Member

Hi all, I've followed the guide and checked the USB compatability list, I have a Seagate 500GB free agent drive and I've Formatted the entire thing to be FAT32.

Everything works until I try to go to the configurable usb loader on the menu screen of my wii, it goes black, then after a little while loads the main screen again.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You may need to turn on the Wii System. Then after the Wii system has started unplug the seagate HDD and plug it back in. Then try running the USB loader.

If that doesn't work then you have something not properly set up or that drive is not compatible.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. slickric2

slickric2 Member

ah haaaaaaaaaaa, i've just had the same problem.

I've just modded my 3rd wii with the guides on here.
    The first 2 I did were newer wii's which can't play disk backups, however these both work super with my WD passport drive with 30+ games loaded through CFG USb loader as per this guide.

The latest Wii I modded was an older one, which can play disks through neogamma, however CFG_USBLoader will not run on it, it just takes me back to the home screen.
    This is using the same wd passport drive that works great on the other 2 wii's.

The 2 that work with CFG USB were modded last month, the other one which doesn't modded today.
    Has anything changed or been revised in the guides since Dec 26th ?

5. NateX

NateX Member

how about actually reading this entire thread? This has already been asked & discussed. Heck, I actually mentioned this exact drive in the post right above yours!

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have modded both a new and old system and they both work. All I can do is give users the tools to do the mod. If the USB loader isn't being recognized then there isn't really anything I can do about it. As long as you follow both softmod guide and this guide properly and you have a compatible drive then it should work.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. slickric2

slickric2 Member

hmmmm I'll uninstall CFG and reinstall it see if it helps.

I dont think its the WD usb hardrive, as stated that works fine with the other wii's.

As far as the softmod goes, that worked a charm as we can load backup games through neogamma, it just seems CFG USB is crashing on startup on the older wii.

I'll have a play over the next few days and see what i can find.

The only difference between the newer Wii's which CFG USB works (apart from being newer) and the older one which it doesn't, is that 1)bootmii was installed as boot2 on the older wii,IOS on the newer ones
    2)neogamma is installed on the older Wii, but was uninstalled on the newer ones(as don't play disk backups)

Let you know if I find anything !!!!!!!

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Did you try using the other USB Slot to at least start the USB loader then switch slots to get a game going? I know a few have said they had to do this step to get it working properly. I don't know why it would do this but doing those steps fixed there issue.

9. markdb77

markdb77 Member

most of the time when I click on the C-USB Loader, it resets. (black screen with grey boxes, not a FULL reset).

Then I click on it again, and it loads up fine.

10. Harro_101

Harro_101 Member

THANK YOU LARRY..I followed your mod completely and it works perfectly. There are just a couple of problems Im having: Most of my games convert to .wbfs fine, but there's one game that when I try to convert, the backup manager thinks that it's only 358MB in size when it's actually over 4 gigs! I disregarded it at first and converted it, but when I went to play the game it just played the intro sequence and then wouldn't let me into the first level. Any suggestions? The game is new super mario bros btw.

Also is it possible to save other files that are unrelated to the mod on the usb device as well, like movies and other games? Because according to it's properties my drive has over 400 gigs of free space left, but when I try copy a file on to it, I get a message saying that there's not enough space. My drive is a 500GB Seagate external desktop drive if that helps.

11. Avinator

Avinator Member

if your hard drive's file system format is FAT32 only 4gb and lower files can be put into it. you can NOT put 4GB size file on a fat32 format.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

As Avinator said if the file is over 4GB then you can not add it to the drive unless you compress it under 4GB.

13. teejay21

teejay21 Member

good stuff.. havent been in this section for awhile.. good to know this!!

14. ChodaBoy

ChodaBoy Member

Larry,

Thank you so much for this guide. Now that I've converted my ISOs to .wbfs on my portable drive, I'd like to delete them from my primary drive. If a need arises, is there a utility that will allow me to expand the .wbfs back to an ISO for burning?

Thanks

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can use Wii Backup Manager. Just choose the game you want to make into an ISO. Then go to transfer and choose ISO in the drop down list.

16. ChodaBoy

ChodaBoy Member

Well that's certainly easy enough. Thank you again.

17. Harro_101

Harro_101 Member

Hey if I downlaod a gamecube iso and save it on to my drive with the backup manager as a .wbfs, will the CFG usb loader open the game???

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Game Cube games are not compatible with USB loaders.

19. scrap69

scrap69 Guest

Hi Larry,

I know this is a forum regarding the installation of the cfg loader but I posted my own question in the main room and nobody answered me... Anyway my problem is when I try to play the Motion Plus instructional video using a usb cfg loader it takes me back to the wii menu this is on all wii games that have motion plus. Also the controls don't feel very.... plus... Other than that the games all work except for watching the video. I would imagine that everyone is having this problem as well, maybe people just havent watched the video yet?

20. larrylje

larrylje Active member

No one probably watches it after the first time because there is really no need to. So I guess it is a CFG USB loader. I don't know why anyone would want to watch the video multiple times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.