1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: Configurable USB Loader using FAT32 Partition (NO WBFS PARTITION NEEDED)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by larrylje, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If you had read previous post you would know that there are different steps when using an NTFS formated drive. As I said before I am not going to add how to do both file systems. Users have enough problems following the directions as they are already.

Also most Wii applications use FAT32 file format system so that is why I have choose to use FAT32.

2. de049

de049 Member

ok larry, used your recommended partitioning app and its now as fat32 partition. All works great now, million thanks for helping us all with this.

3. jayhkr

jayhkr Member

Can other files be put on the USB device or does it have to stay "wii" specific. I have been wanting to purchase a usb device for sometime now for other reasons. I thought if I could put other files on it along with the usb loading stuff I would feel better about the purchase. At the VERY least, if I wanted to use the USB drive for other purposes could I at least reformat the drive back to the way it originally was? Thanks to everyone for their help. Great guide!

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can place any file under 4GB on the drive. If they are above 4GB and it is for storage purposes you can always compress the file below 4GB.

5. jayhkr

jayhkr Member

Great! There wouldn't be any files above 100mb probably. I can assume I can just make a separate folder on the drive and it won't mess up anything else when using it for the usbloader stuff. I plan on buying the Seagate FreeAgent Desk 500GB ST305004FD as that should give me sufficent storage for what I want. Again, very appreciated!

6. upsbrown

upsbrown Member

Larry, I need your assistance. My question relates to "TRANSFER GAMES ON WBFS FORMATED DEVICE TO FAT32 FORMATED DEVICE" Drive 1, corresponds with "WBFS formated USB Device" and Drive 2 corresponds with "FAT32 formated USB Device" When i select ALL on Drive 1 and i press Transfer to Drive 2 the process begins. But it arbitrarily ends! And i have no idea why? so far i have transfered 100 of the 270 files i currently have. But my question is what can i do to keep the process going. I mean why does it not keep continuing until it finishes? It just stops transfering and I have no idea why. Sometime, the process will last 5 minutes or many hours. Thank you.

7. de049

de049 Member

No files over 4GB will work. Does that mean any game backups too?

I keep getting my Call of Duty backup black screening when i launch it via usb loader. I can see the game on the loader menu as i can the others, but this one in particular just goes black screen on mee and have to reset Wii manually.

Any ideas why this is? Is there a way of checking the integrity of the ISO i used to convert to wbfs? I transfered this file using the wii backup manager and at the same time also transfered another game. The other works great, this one doesn't.

Thanks.

8. kaylapupp

kaylapupp Member

Just followed this tut, and I must say it couldn't have been any easier. Thanks so much Larrylje.

Now that it is up and running I want to know if there are any themes or other tweaks to make it look better ?

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

9. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

I have pulled my hair out trying to figure this out. I was having the same exact issue as Nate. I tried what he suggested and it did make the loader give me an "OK" status was mounting device was attempted rather than timing out, but now it seems to be another issue. (FWIW, I noticed that the FAT32 mount: was "none" before I swapped the ports during loading; and I was getting the 30 sec. timeout. Once I tried what Nate says above, the FAT32 mount: was USB-HDD with an "OK" status.)

Once I get the "OK," everything seems to freeze up and the blue light that surrounds the disc area of the wii begins to flash. I can press the reset on the Wii and everything boots back up fine, but that's the only way to get anywhere after I get the "OK" screen and I still am unable to get any copies loaded from the USB. Any help to get me past this?

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

How many times do I need to say that when you convert the game ISO to WBFS (or rip it using the Loader) the game splits at 4GB making 2 files.

I have also ask that if you have a specific game issue you start a new thread. We don't need this thread turning into a I can't get this game working thread.

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Sounds like 1 of your drives are timing out during transferring.

Try to limit how many you do at a time.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Read the read me file that came with the softmod pack or go to the CFG USB Loader link for more info on how to do themes etc. etc.

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Check the compatibility list to see if your drive is compatible and to see if anything special has to be done to get it to load. That is really the only advice I can give. The guide works if you follow it properly and have a compatible USB Device.

14. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Member

Is there a way to make the home button take you back to the games list in USB Config instead of the Wii's home menu?
    Or, is there another button I am not aware of?

Basically i want to quit a game and go to the games list and not the Wii home menu. This way i can avoid having to start up USB Config everytime I switch to another game.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Is it that hard to start the loader each time you want to load a game?

I don't know how so if you want to know do some searching and find out.

16. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Member

It was just an idea and was curious if the option was already there and i just missed the boat on turning it on.

17. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

Thanks Larry. I finally got it to work. You guessed correctly. The flash drive I was using was not compatible even though it was green on the chart. (It did not have any confirmations, but it was green on the list.) I tried a different flas drive today and it worked just as your tutorial indicates.

This is not directly related to the USB loading, but what is the largest drive I can get for formatting FAT32? I was going to try and format a larger drive to FAT 32, but it would not allow me to format FAT32 for a partition larger than 32 GB. Is there a way to store your backups on a NTFS partition of a large capacity HDD and have the smaller partition formatted to FAT32 for the loader?

Either way, thanks again. I read these threads a lot more than I post, and you offer a lot of good tutorials and information. I know the ones of us that are new can get on your nerves at times with "newbie" questions, but we do really appreciate your valuable input on here.

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Use the application linked in this guide to format the drive to FAT32. There have been some that have used over 1TB drives.

19. NateX

NateX Member

Hard? No, but it does waste time returning to the system menu, then re-launching the loader and waiting for it to start. May be talking only a minute, but it would be nice.

However, I doubt it's possibe (or at least easily) as you're talking about chaning a core function of the Wii GUI. The Home button always takes you back to the Wii system menu. Heck, I wish all games or the Wii itself had an option to take you back to the GAME menu from within a game vs having no choice but to return to the Wii menu. Most games I've played don't have this option & it can be annoying.

Even so, the massive convenience & functionality of the USB Loader far outweighs a little extra step or time required.

If you find a way then let us know!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  20. NateX

NateX Member

You can format very large HDDs to FAT. Follow what Larry said & you'll be fine.

Note that you can have multiple partitions on your HDD whether FAT or NTFS, but as Larry already stated more than once, this quide is for a FAT drive/partition (both loader files and game .wbfs files. If you want to use another file system or multiple partitions then you can - search these forum or the web & you'll find instructions.

However, keep in mind that some other Wii apps require FAT, so plan accordingly if you choose otherwise (see pg 1 of this guide for more comments regarding FAT vs NTFS).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.