1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: How To Burn XBox360 Games

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by tripplite, May 4, 2008.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

REQUIREMENTS:

-A 360 flashed with ixtreme firmware, compatibility with other mods varies on downloads and such....

-Burner capable Dual layer burners, DL DVD+R

-DL DVD+R media the brand of choice is verbatim, 90% of errors i'll say are due to people using memorex or some other cheap brand:p
    you want to try and get the verbatim disc made in Singapore, but thats not a priority!

-Clonecd
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html

-SS merger 1.6

-DVDinfo Pro
    (optional)

-------------

1)Before you can burn a game you need to find out if it is patched with the Security Sectors (SS files)

The game you downloaded (i mean backed-up) probably came with a .txt file or a .nfo file, that file will most likely mention whether or not your game is patched and with what region.

How do check if my Game is Patched or not?
    To check if your game is patched you'll be using a app called
    XDVDmulleter, the guide is below
    http://hacks-4-snacks.com/stoner/public/Guides/XDVDMulleter.pdf

My Game isn't patched What should I do?

If its not patched you'll be using the SS merger to patched it
    from: http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEuAZukFZAAdFJNmbR.php

Here is a snap shot of the old GUI, nothing much has changed;)
    [​IMG]
    (thanks tweeder XD)

2) At this point you have a patched ISO with or without a .dvd file, you will now be burning either the ISO or .dvd , if you patched the ISO your self then dont use the .dvd unless you generated it after the patch....

Note: before the burn ensure that your Booktype is set to DVD-ROM

Launch CloneCD
    [​IMG]
    then load the ISO or .dvd
    [​IMG]
    Set the burn speed to 2x, if its any faster it'll fail, thats almost a sure thing!
    [​IMG]
    then hit ok!
    pop it into your 360 get a can of cola sit back and ruin your mind!
    --------------------------------------
    Where do I get the ss files?

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/x-box-360-chat/x-box-360-ss-file-thread-21848.html
    (report broken links)
    http://360patches.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=df89faf59b7f4d6f8a02057da4fc8405&action=downloads

How do I set book type?

CloneCD does not support booktype change:(
    however a program called DVD INFO PRO will do that for you
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

open DVDINFO PRO
    [​IMG]
    hit the button shown above, put a DL DVD+R into your drive and hit query then the change button, allow it to finish then either minimize or exit the program.

for further reading on booktype go here
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

What do i use to open the .nfo given to me with my download?
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Text-editors/DAMN-NFO-Viewer.shtml

What Do i burn... the .dvd or ISO?
    either should be fine! we/I suggest the iso

Where Can I get the SS merger?
    http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/xbox360pc/isotools/XBOX360_SS_Merger_1.6.rar

Verbatim DL DVD+R are expensive! do I really need them?
    yes you do.... dont argue;)
    http://www.meritline.com/

Where can I get the net frame pack 2?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en
    its an app thats essential for many program to run:)

I have DL DVD-R I can use those?
    no you cannot!
    simple as that!

questions? issues?
    please post full details if you want help!

-tripplite

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

[reserved]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
  3. homesick

homesick Regular member

nice job

4. adi231189

adi231189 Member

Hey could also give some info through IMGBurn since clone cd is not free.And what about burning through ImgBurn do u need the .dvd file or can we burn the .iso file directly by setting layer break at 1913760.

I have a game which is stealth patched but no .dvd file how to burn the game through IMGBurn do i need the .dvd file or just burn the .iso file .I have heard that .dvd file is needed only for clone cd since layer break cannot be set but in IMGBurn it can be set manually so does it need the .dvd file or not

5. carlos_sm

carlos_sm Member

Hi... i have a question.

I have a Hitachi 79 console.. and i think only can be modded phisically.

I downloaded two games and tried burning them, followed all instructions and everything. But my xbox don't read them properly, games start and then says "Dirty Disc".

I think it's because of the media i bought (Brand: Matrix), because i have played backup games on my xbox without problems.

The problem is that verbatims only come in a 10 pz. package so it's not that easy to buy, and i want to be sure before getting de DL

So do you think it could be de discs?

Or is it something else like:
    My DL burner I don't know what model it is, how can i know??
    My XBOX mod
    etc.

Hope you can help me..

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

360 games are built differently then xbox games....and so burning them is a bit of a struggle.....for instance i can use memorex media fine with my wii but a disc from the same spindle wont run on my 360:(

if its reading originals then the firmware/reader are set.....but yes i would invest in some verbatim media:)

if you find your drives burning a lot of coasters recently try a firmware update.....
    check the pamphlet that came with the computer (assuming its OEM).....
    or
    right click on my computer and go properties>then hit the hardware tab>select the device manager option> then under DVD/CD devices
    its listed there:)
    --------------------
    @adi231189
    i'll add an imgburn section later......

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=516786
    questions on that guide can be directed here:)

-tripplite

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  7. 4n0nym0us

4n0nym0us Member

I have a question about the tutorial. The drive is a BenQ (it's a Halo 3 Special Edition box), and I don't know how to update the firmware on it. Is there a specific one I have to get, and if so, where at?

Also. This computer doesn't have a floppy drive. How can I update it without using a boot disk, since I can't use a floppy drive?

8. carlos_sm

carlos_sm Member

Ohh.. sorry sorry, everything i said in my last post was referring to my xbox 360.

So... my 360 is chip modded.
    I can play a backup game i bought recently
    I can play original games.
    The xbox360 games i burnt (with MATRIX media) start and then show "Dirty Disc", or "Insert this disc on a XBOX console" or just run with very slow video and audio.

BTW, my DL burner is an HL -DT -ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

I haven't found anything about new firmware.

So... do you think the blank media could be the problem??

Thanks for the help.

=)

9. adi231189

adi231189 Member

Yes as far as i know this is due to bad media i have also got a hitachi drive a same problem now i am going to buy Verbs and try to burn at 2.4x and see if it reads.Yes beleive all of the experts here are right it is a media problem and not your drive problem.I have also got LG drive but i have searched google but i can't find it the
    forum.epc1.org is down.Hope somebody can help u.

http://us.lge.com/
    Go to this site then--->computer products--->optical drives--->Belows click download driver it loads a new page again click device driver---->then DVD-ROM writer then select the LG autoupdate firmware from the 3rd or 4th page.And install it hope it can update ur firmware.

I think there is already a post about this try the search option.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  10. carlos_sm

carlos_sm Member

thanks a lot adi23...
    I will try to search the firmware for my drive and buy the verbatims.. can you post your experience with your new media please??

great to see you are an arsenal fan too =)

11. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Not to be rude, but there's already a sticky for burning games. So if noobs are too lazy to read the stickys, then obviously this thread will fall on deaf ears (or should I say, deaf eyes ;)).

There will be posts tomorrow asking "can I back up 360 games, and if so, how do I do it. Please tell me step by step, as I've searched and couldn't find anything". It never fails.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  12. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

To add: To avoid booktyping mess, all Pioneer DL drives automatically booktype to -ROM.

thanks

13. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@BurningAs
    Just to clarify on the Pioneers booktying - it's mostly the newerish Pioneers and for DL +R media only

14. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

A few mistakes.

XDVDMulleter will take care of all the patching needs. So SS Merger is one less step and one less program to deal with.

You recommend Clone CD to burn, yet state to select the .dvd OR .iso, and down further you actually recommend the .iso over the .dvd. With Clone CD you have to select .dvd. That contains the layer break info. Same goes if you're using Imgburn. Always select the .dvd.

That's way off. Many burn at 4x, including myself. I've actually found that 4x gives a better burn than 2.4x. I've seen with my own eyes a console give a dre with 2.4x backups, yet the same game made from that 2.4x backup and burnt at 4x worked great. If the user has a newer burner and keeps their burners firmware up to date, then there's no problem.

If you don't know how to make or edit a .dvd file, use XDVDMulleter to make the .dvd file for you.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  15. garlog

garlog Member

Could a backup burned with 2,4x speed bring the xbox360 to freeze?
    I read in the forum that 4x speed would be better -- that's why I'm asking.

16. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

That is one of many possibilities. Like I said, I have seen it firsthand. Problems could be:

Bad media
    Stratched media
    Out of date burner firmware
    Wrong burn speed
    Multitasking while burning
    Dirty 360 laser
    Failing 360 laser
    Firmware read speed set too low/fast

17. slimdawg

slimdawg Regular member

I personally like to use Imgburn as its free and is less complicated.

also the booktype feature is easier to change (i have a pioneer anyway so that doesn't matter for me)

18. acid307

acid307 Member

Hi guys just to let you know, i recently flashed my benq drive with i extreme 1.41 @ 12 speed and couldnt get any verb disks so i went to my local pc shop and brought some 8x datasafe dvd-r dl disks, i only have a standard hp drive that came with my desktop. After reading through loads of guides ect i tried to no avail to burn some backups at 2.4 speed all of them were coasters and comming up with dirty disk error, i thought i would give it one more go with the current set up but couldnt be bothered to burn it 2.4 so burnt it @ 8 speed all went well with the burn so i put the disk in my xbox and it went to the black screen as it was b4 so i thought oh here we go again but then to my amazement it loaded up and worked fine, i have burnt another couple of backups at this speed and they all work fine. Just thought i would share this experience maybe someone would be able to shed some light onto why the faster speed works with the cheaper disks. and also wondered if anyone else has had this experience before

19. adi231189

adi231189 Member

What speed to burn with a 2.4x Verb+R Dl disks is 1x ok.I heard that if the disks are blue from the data side will it run properly some say that the blue ones don't work is that true.

20. aaamun007

aaamun007 Guest

hi i'm new as you can see and just got my xbox 360 modded now i cant find a copy of xbox 360 ss merger so if any of you could send me a copy of it or give me a link then i would be very grateful thanks.