1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: How to use Friidump (Windows)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by sld87, Oct 11, 2007.

1. shadowfx

shadowfx Member

What game is it, just out of curiosity? And if you have the time/effort to, try redumping it and forcing the rename with FriiDump, and see if the renamed iso will burn with Roxio or Nero?

2. sld87

sld87 Member

To the people trying to use this without a specified LG Drive: Has anyone had any luck with other brands? Cause AFAIK you guys are trying in vein even if it does say it ripped it properly.

3. janse2007

janse2007 Member

I have a Pioneer - Dvd-RW DVR-K15RA (Acer aspire 3000) and it has succeeded to make a Iso of Wiiplay..
    Grtz from Nederland!!

4. darkfayte

darkfayte Guest

I have an LG DVD ROM that i was ripping from and using Friidump it worked perfect, no errors. Only real issue i didnt notice was that the game i ripped was a DL game. The game was 8gig (approx) and when i put it into RegionFrii it said my NTSC USA game was actually a JAP region game. I can of course change the region with RegionFrii no problem but the real issue / question is:

Is it possable to rip a 8gig DL game and change it to single layer 4.37gb? I know it HAD to be possable since the game i ripped (Spyro the Eternal Night) i can download a 4.37gb version. Do i have to set my DVDROM to US region so it will only read the US part? Is that how a DL disk works? Both regions on one CD and let the Wii figure out what region to play? I guess im wondering how to chop a 8gig DL game onto ONE normal DVD+R

5. wantmore

wantmore Member

This happened to me as well when I dumped CSI: Hard Evidence using Friidump. Took over 4 hours to find out that was a wait of time. I also tried changing the name.iso but still didnt work. I'm just going to stick with Rawdump, works every time.

6. wantmore

wantmore Member

Also wanted to mention I used a LG drive to dump.

7. spanky55

spanky55 Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  8. conwayboy

conwayboy Member

Hummm what the hell is this file you are talking about it is the only time it is mentioned in the whole thread and no one seems to have batted an eyelid, what does this file do and what is it???????

9. conwayboy

conwayboy Member

seems like a nice interface but it keeps asking me to specify the preference path, i have tried to specify the path to a folder but it keeps looking for a file e.g. i specify program files friidump like the dos version does but this new gui interface wants me to specify a file in the friidump folder as a path so i created a folder called new freedumps when i specify that it still wants a file at the end of the path....im no teccho but i kinda think that must be a glitch can you advise how to specify a path, it will accept the file friidump.exe at the end of the path but i dont want new dumps corrupting the original program..thanks for any help available

10. spanky55

spanky55 Member

In the preferences window, specify the path to Filechop.exe and/or Friidump.exe. The program wants to write this info to an XML file in the same folder that holds WiiDisc.exe so be sure that the user running the progam has proper write permission for this folder.

11. conwayboy

conwayboy Member

Yeah wasnt sure if i specified the .exe fil would that mean that the dump would end up in the Fridump.exe or just in the folder. Love the GUI interface......can you tell me what is Filechop and why would you use it.

12. spanky55

spanky55 Member

The program just needs to know what executable to run when you click the corresponding button. The dumps should just end up in the same folder as friidump.exe.
    I could be wrong but in a nutshell, Filechop makes an ISO file the correct size so that after you burn it to DVD, the Wii will recognize it as a valid disc. I believe you only need this when creating a GCOS disc. Search the forums for more details about Filechop.

13. conwayboy

conwayboy Member

Actually was just away doing that it seems file chop and frii dump are two different programs completely and file chop has nothing to do with wii games file chop is to chop up files prior to sending them over the net as smaller pieces,just so happens that the filechop and frii dump are contained in the same nice GUI that has been created.

WII iso files should all be exactly the same size and if they are not then the dump is corrupt, its not just a matter of cutting a piece off, .....Wii single layer ISO file 4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes) and SSBB Dual layer ISO file 7.89 GB (8,482,783,232 bytes)neither of them need scissors.

Cheers

14. donkykong

donkykong Member

Conwayboy, actual ISO size of SSBB D/L backup (working thanks to info from Guyver521) is 7.92GB (8,511,160,320b / 8,311,680KB).

Guyver521 - the layer break in your file (1913760) is the same for 360 D/L too.

DK

15. conwayboy

conwayboy Member

Thank you Donkey Kong but i can read I have done a pristine rip from an unused new copy and burnt it to dual layer the actual size of the SSBB image file on my computer for an Australian Pal version of the Game is as stated 7.89 GB (8,482,783,232 bytes). The burnt disk is workign perfectly no glitches.

Obviously they can be different sizes or that other one is a different version or someone is telling fibs, and that aint me.

Cheers

16. kleppto

kleppto Member

I am new to the whole Wii back-up thing, once correctly backed up with friidump & burnt with imageburn (SSBB as a example) is it then possible to duplicate the back-up using Nero 8 in the conventional copy dvd way?

17. kleppto

kleppto Member

I too am backing up My Aussie SSBB is it a different layerbreak from the other regions?

18. ozdevil

ozdevil Member

can this be used for the pal version of ssbb

as i don't want to brick my wii?

19. suspect69

suspect69 Member

HI

Having a problem with Friidump, used it many times but suddenly having a problem. Type in relevant commands as usual and it runs as usual, but when I go to the folder the ISO is created in, it is not there, instaedI have a new file called friidump and another file named correctly ie Zack and Wiki but it is not an ISO file, any ideas guys, or are certain games just not able to be dumped?

Cheers

20. Anjelica

Anjelica Member

@sld87

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have been having intermittent problems with Rawdump as it often throws up the error 'Error, you might have a faulty drive', but not on all discs.

I am not dos literate, hence initially using Rawdump, but your tutorial has proved invaluable as it has given me another option with which to back up my discs.

I am now off to bed whilst my first ever backup with Friidump continues.

A nights restful sleeps is now assured

Thanks once again