1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: How to use Friidump (Windows)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by sld87, Oct 11, 2007.

1. WINY

WINY Member

how do i run the friidump? it doesnt run, ive alredy did the steps but i just end up in the folder where the program is and i cant run the friidump

2. Anjelica

Anjelica Member

@WINY

Not exactly sure where you are stuck but the original posters intructions are spot on. Assuming you have downloaded and installed the necessary software, try this...

Open start menu
    Choose 'run'
    Type in 'cmd' (without quotation marks)

This will bring up something along the lines of....'C:\Documents and Settings\your user name>' and there will be a flashing cursor at the end.

Type in 'cd..' and hit 'enter'

This will change the prompt to....'C:\Documents and Settings>' and there will be a flashing cursor at the end.

Type in 'cd..' and hit 'enter'

This will change the prompt to....'C:\>' and there will be a flashing cursor at the end.

Now type 'cd program files' and hit enter

This will change the prompt to....'C:\Program files>' and there will be a flashing cursor at the end

Type 'cd (name of folder that contains software) and hit enter. My file is called friidump 0.4.0 so that is what I use.

This will change the prompt to....'C:\Program files\friidump 0.4.0>' and there will be a flashing cursor at the end

Now type in 'friidump -d (your DVD drive letter): -a'. My drive letter is 'k' so I would type in 'friidump -d k: -a'.

This will change the prompt to....'C:\Program files\friidump 0.4.0\'friidump -d k: -a>' and there will be a flashing cursor at the end.

The copying will then start after a short while with the resulting ISO image being found in the folder that contains the software

Hope this helps and apologies for using bold type but I wanted to highlight the specific commands

3. WINY

WINY Member

TYVM I understand this instructions way more than the ones at the beginning, I hope this time it works :)

4. kooob

kooob Member

If you want to avoid using a batch file, you can use a windows shortcut just as easily, and specify where the output file will be saved. The other benefit is that you can put it in your start menu, desktop icon, or quick start bar.

In order to do this,

Create a Shortcut (right-click on desktop select New->Shortcut)
    Browse to where you put friidump (or rawdump), and select .exe file
    click next and put in a name for your shortcut (defaults to .exe name)
    Click Finish

Now right-click on your new shortcut, and select properties. Select the shortcut tab.

For the target, it is (eg.)
    "C:\Program Files\FriiDump\friidump.exe"

Change it to (include quotes)
    "C:\Program Files\FriiDump\friidump.exe" -a -d E: -s

The E: is my dvd drive, replace with your drive letter

the -s will automatically restart if the image has been started. If it hasn't, it will create it from scratch

For the Start In, put in the location that you want your image saved.
    eg. G:\WiiImages

When you click on the shortcut, it will open a cmd prompt running friidump, read the disc from E:, pick the name from the DVD, and save it in the location that you specified in the Start In. If the Image has been started, it will continue dumping it, if not, it will start from the beginning.

Once you have tested the icon, you can copy/move it to anywhere you want to put it, and the image will always be where you expect it.

5. chichy11

chichy11 Member

------------------
    something like that happened to me suspect69. Dumped sucessfully in correct size (7.92gb, 8,311,680kb) using friidump v4 but the image file is not type dvd file, the type is just "file". Can burn it using imgburn but it wouldn't work in wii console. Can anyone help?

6. merandom

merandom Regular member

Am I crazy? I can't find a download link for friidump that actually works! Can anyone provide one? Thanks!

7. jamesfish

jamesfish Member

Hey guys... I'm trying to dump SSB, but I'm having a heck of a time. I got an error at 93%. Upon trying to redo the dump, I get the error 'Cannot prepare dumper'.

Any ideas?????

8. merandom

merandom Regular member

Can someone PM me if you have a copy of friidump? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

9. jamesfish

jamesfish Member

Did you try the links on page 1 of this thread?

10. merandom

merandom Regular member

Yes.

Anyone??

11. scoooter1

scoooter1 Member

I see a lot of posts here about not being able to find the iso file.
    If you use the -g option it creates <game title>.iso the problem is if you use an unsupported drive and it doesn;t get the game title it creates a .iso file with no prefix making it a hidden file. But the real issue is if it doesn't find the game title even though it crates the correct file size the iso is no good anyway and won't play in your wii. I have 3 differnt drives grd8160B gdrH30N hp 1040r tha all produce the correct size iso but none of them get the game id game title or maker and none of the iso's create a good dvd. Looking for a GDR8163B now.

12. sbeanz

sbeanz Member

Hi.
    I also can't seem to find the iso file after a complete rip of SSBB (PAL). I am using friidump 0.4.0 and have a lg 8163b. I used the command:
    friidump -d f: -a . should I try and use: friidump -d f: -i ssbb -4 ??? Do I need the -4 at the end? Also is it ideal to have to layer break manually or can you just use the default settings in ImgBurn?

Does the cmd have to be shut down after completion for the iso to appear? If its not appearing coz of a corrupt filename, will it actually be hidden on my hd somewhere and be taking up 8gb of my hd space? Or will it delete itself eventually?
    Cheers,
    sbeanz

13. scoooter1

scoooter1 Member

It will be in the friidump folder open that folder and make sure you have it set to show details and show hidden folders. you don't need the -4 that's default. I doubt that it will be any good if it did'nt find the game title. Have you tried rawdump 2.1 it supports DL disks now.

14. sbeanz

sbeanz Member

Yeh couldn't find it in the folder I made where I put friidump.exe file. I didn't show up. I didn't know about rawdump v2.1. I'll give it a go and let you know how I go. Does it seem to have less issues then friidump?
    Thanks for your help
    Cheers

15. sbeanz

sbeanz Member

is rawdump v2.1 actually proven to work? or is it still an experimental program for dual layers?

16. sbeanz

sbeanz Member

Tried friidump on my home comp with the lg8163b and tried the command "friidump -d d: -i ssbb". It goes through the whole process again and successfully completes but there is no ssbb iso file in the friidump folder. any ideas?

My work computer has a lg8164b so I tried rawdump2.1 on it and it just reports a 'faulty drive' so no luck there. I've also tried friidump on the work comp but it seems to have a 'windows delayed writing error' but it seems to continue with the process and i can actually see the 'ssbb' file in the friidump folder. I dont continue with the process as it doesn't seem like it will work if its reporting a write error after 10seconds. suggestions?
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers

17. moddoc

moddoc Member

Looks like there some good news for some Dell and Compaq laptop users. It appears that the DVD drive (Model: GCC-4244N made by LG) that comes with many of these units will work for backing up WII games. I tried this on a couple of other DVD drives with no luck (reading the title seems to be a big indicator). Anyways, it appears that the default mode -4 does not work well with the drive, but -3 runs smooth. Here is a quick screen dump from my laptop:

C:\>friidump -d d: -a -3
    FriiDump 0.4 - Copyright (C) 2007 Arep
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; see COPYING for details.

Official support forum: http://wii.console-tribe.com.

Initializing DVD drive... OK

Drive information:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drive model........: HL-DT-ST/RW/DVD GCC-4244N/1.02
    Supported..........: No

WARNING: Unsupported DVD drive model detected, falling back to Hitachi
    specific functions. If the dumping process succeeds, please report the
    drive identification strings so that it can be added to the supported
    drives list.

Retrieving disc seeds, this might take a while... OK

Disc information:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disc type..........: Wii
    Game ID............: FN
    Region.............: USA/NTSC
    Maker..............: 01 (Nintendo)
    Version............: 1.01
    Game title.........: RVL Wii Fit
    Contains update....: Yes

Writing to file "RVL Wii Fit.iso" in ISO format

7% |--*------------------------------| 1781.87 MB/h, ETA: 05/03/2009 02:10:32

Hope this post was helpful. Good luck

18. straykat

straykat Member

My first post.
    Thought i would pass on this info. For those of you who couldnt find the iso after running Friidump. If using Vista, look in the following dir.
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\friidump
    You may have to change the folder options to view hidden files.
    For some reason i have seen friidump use this dir consistently for isos.

19. sbeanz

sbeanz Member

Cheers straykat. yeh had alook in that folder and sure enough, there were were the iso's. the main iso which seemed to have worked the best was 7.92GB (8,511,160,320b) which was surprising considering other ppl have said that the AUS PAL version should be 7.89gb. I tried burning the iso onto a Verbatim DVD+R DL at 2.4x without any layer break (auto). It seemed to work but when it gets to the verifying stage, it says something about a 'bad sector' and gives me the choice of abort, try again or continue. Pressing try again or continue just makes it find the next bad sector. I tried putting it into the wii but after thinking for a while, it says it cannot read the disk. Any ideas?

I also tried burning again with the same settings except using a manual layer break of 2084960. This didn't work either during the burn, and some other error regarding the layer break (i think!?) occurred. I forgot to note but the error was. Should I try again using the 1913760 layer break? which layer break is correct? Should my iso be 7.92gb or 7.89gb?
    Cheers,

20. roehon

roehon Member

hi I'm trying to backup metroid prime trilogy Friidump was suggested to me by another forum member as the game uses a DL disc. I’m using an HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8082N106 external USB drive to back up WII games and this drive works well with Rawdump 2.0 but the drive doesn’t seem to want to work with Friidump 0.4.0
    With Rawdump I have to play with the timing, I have to start the dump and then close the drive door for it to work, would I have to do the same with Friidump or is the drive just not supported?
    Any ideas would be great thanks