1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: Max Out Download Speed Using Utorrent

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by DVDBack23, Apr 25, 2006.

1. drewcifer

drewcifer Member

already did that and reset my router and contacted my isp.. im screwed.

2. penny2

penny2 Member

I also have a very fast ISP;

Here is an example of my average speeds: (some tests are a little higher and a few are a little lower)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 8241 kbps (1030.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 723 kbps (90.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Speakeasy!

I'm running windows xp sp2 and utorrent 1.6.1

I've tried all the fixes (i think) and still only getting a couple hundred kbps downloads at times on private trackers - but averaging around 60-80 kbps most of the time - and much much lower downloads on public trackers.

I normally takes several hours or days to download larger files (movies etc) and days or weeks to upload and seed to get a 1:1 ratio

what am I doing wrong??

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  3. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

hey penny2, that speed isn't bad! Am also averaging 6-80kbps and 100kbps in private trackers. So I think your speed is pretty decent. I have 7mb connection.

4. swamis

swamis Member

ok...here it goes.

I have utorrent 1.7.2

here is my speed result from speak easy

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/swamanator/speakeasyresults.jpg

i have verizon fios 15/2. i have windows vista home premium..1024 ram and cor 2 duo....every seems to be fine and i think my speed is good too but i cant get fast downloads.. on the download speed on u torrent the max i hit is 146.2kB/s which i think is bad and upload is 186.2 kB/s max.

can someone calculate all the setting i need to set in the utorrent and reply to this..i really need help.. im trying to download this 10gb collecting of cartoons from mininova..

i need the calculation for up/dl speed and all the other setting

i would really appreciate this

5. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

wow, swamis! You have a very insane connection. Better change your utorrent to 1.6 coz 1.7 has a lot of problems and bugs. Oh and also, Vista isn't very good in terms of compatability with torrents.

6. swamis

swamis Member

schwaber can u calculate my speeds i need to put into the boxes in utorrent like the upload and dl speed and all the other things...plz
    i have a router and it is port forwarded

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Quite a connection. At options>preferences>connection, set UL to 170, DL to 1500 or 0, disable UPnP and use a port over 10,000 that isn't the default. At options>preferences>bittorrent, you can enable both DHT options but only on public trackers, set Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and Global seeds and peers both to 300. You can also set your UL at options>speed guide>connection type but I think 1 MB is too low and 2 MB is too high. Run your speed test over a few days to get a good average. 8 kb = 1 kB which utorrent uses and you want 80% of your upload test. 10% works fine too. You can disable automatic updates at options>preferences>general if you go back to 1.6.

8. swamis

swamis Member

hey mistycat thanks for the info...but still im not hitting over 95 kB/s in utorrent..i tried ur options but still no luck..ne more suggestions...i also tried to try different options in the encryption thing and still no luck....Plz help

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No idea and may be wrong but I'm leaning towards Vista.

10. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

I thought DVDback already explained this? Am I wrong??? 0_0

11. JLock13

JLock13 Member

Great forum eveyone.
    I was wondering why alot of you are getting better download speeds from private trackers rather than public trackers? What are the differances in public and private?
    I think that the private trackers have less traffic, but don't they have less seeders as well?

Thanks y'all,
    JLock

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

On private trackers, a proper DL/UL ratio has to be maintained and upload speed isn't throttled as it usually is on a public site. Also, many private sites have fewer seeds but they're uploading at full speeds to achieve a good ratio. Same thing, actually

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  13. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Yes, mistycat is right. People in private trackers need to maintain a good ratio or they will be kicked out ASAP. Also, what you said it right. Usually, they have less seeders but those seeders have insane upload speeds. They are very dedicated when uploading speeds and maintaining it. If you see a torrent in a private tracker that has 2 seeders, expect a speed around 400kbps. That is hella fast...

14. SyphooN

SyphooN Member

Hey dude, awesome guide, at least to the point where I got in it.
    I'm doing the tweaking test on the broadbandreports site but I get"* Downloading file of size 1024000: Failed to download: Read timed out"
    Is there any way to solve this problem or an alternative test site? :\
    I tested torrents by telling my friends to download them, they would get like high speeds like above 100kbps while I get 0-5kbps on the same torrents. It's really annoying me. I have no router, my firewall is disabled, and my ports are all fine.
    Anyway I guessed this test would really help me but its not working. :\

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  15. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  16. SyphooN

SyphooN Member

Thanks for the help.

My ISP isn't bad, I used to have great speeds, its been like a year since I had any problems with download speeds with bittorent, it just started like last week. And friends of mine who have the same ISP and connection speed download fast. My speedtest results (Using the site you provided) were 1522kbps down, 162kbps up. (1.5MB connection, so I think it makes sense).

But, maybe I missed something, does the site also provide that "tweak test"? Because thats what I was talking about and had problems running, so I'm looking for an alternative to that.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

17. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Hey, better post what internet speed you have.

18. SyphooN

SyphooN Member

Look one post above yours. I guess you missed it.

19. jollysam

jollysam Guest

hey, i have been downloading for about 1 year now, and my download speed on most is at about 13-20kB/s. you guys are talking about 100kB/s on here, holy crap! i did what it said at the beginning but im still getting these really slow speeds. from a dsl speed test i get 3001kBps down and 118kBps up. should i be getting faster speeds than this?i am on dsl Telecom in New Zealand, me thinks our speed sucks here....lol. Any help please!

20. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Do you have router by any chance? If so, portforward it