1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: Max Out Download Speed Using Utorrent

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by DVDBack23, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Decodem
    Your 256 connection is kilobits (kbs) and uTorrent shows its speeds in kilobytes (kBs). 8kbs = 1kBs so the 256kbs = 32kBs.

So your speeds are not that far off.

If your network status is showing green, I do not see why trackers are showing offline so much.

You might want to try enabling encryption and see if that helps.
    Go to Options/Speed Guide and at the bottom of the Speed Guide screen there is a box to tick to Enable Encryption.
    Press Use Selected settings to save.

You may also want to use the Speed Guide to adjust your uTorrent settings to their optimal for speed.
    There is a link to a speed test on that screen.
    The important speed for the settings is the upload speed of your connection.
    You should stop all internet activity, including torrents, before taking the test and you should take the test a few times to get a reliable average.

Once you have an average upload speed you would go back to the Speed Guide screen and there is a pulldown menu of usual upload speeds where it says Connection Type.
    This menu shows speeds in kilobits (kbs) and you should choose the one closest to your speed and it will automatically adjust several uTorrent settings to fit in with your upload speed.

Press Use Selected Settings button to save.

2. Neofate

Neofate Member

This is the never ending thread -- :)

Anyhow, .. good advice on the newbies to the Torrent client scene.

As for connections, it is all limited to your ISP, and then further by your configuration, lastly limited by the speed of the overall seeds on the torrent itself.

For example, (not to brag) -- I run Dual ISP's on a dual WAN router,running Round Load Balancing. So I obtain in the ballpark of 2650Kb/s Down, and 280Kb/s Up. Or in other terms, about 2.6 Megabytes per second, and a touch over a quarter of a Megabyte a second on the Upload portion. Connection is 20Mbps/2Mbps. However, this is much higher than the typical broadband user. Though there are some people with Optimum online/fiber that run 30/2 or higher.. but it is a small community. Then you have some broadband connections that are barely above Dial-up speeds. Running anywhere from 6Kb/s to 20Kb/s. Just take note of what your ISP advertised connection speed is:

A good test to check your speed in real time is www.speedtest.net

But, if your ISP advertises say, 3Mbps/256Kbs -- Then your top torrent speeds would be about 300Kb/s down, and 26Kb/s up. If 1.5/128 it would run 150Kb/s download, and 13Kb/s upload. (This is rough, and on the low side for maximum's but an easy conversion).

Basic principle here is that you can easily 'guesstimate' what your speeds should be hovering around and tinker with your BT client if things aren't approaching say, 50% of that supposed speed.

I asked this earlier, but would really , really appreciate any and all answers here:

Please list any and all Bit Torrent search engines you guys use now. Since Torrentspy blocked US users I can only Bounce my IP which is a pain to get linked in (and since the US market was blocked the quality of the files has gone way down).

There must be a new equivalent or better Search engine for Bittorrents out there that you guys use! :) -- Please share the knowledge.

I know of thepiratebay, and several others but they rarely have what I am looking for.. and seeds are really lacking.

Thanks a ton!

3. Arts216

Arts216 Member

I just normally do a google search for a torrent I want,I use to use demonoid,but,isohunt ,mininova.org,mininova.com,torrentportal,torrentbox,torrentz,torrentspy,torrentreactor,meganova.org,livetorrents, these are just some I've come across in my travels....

4. Arts216

Arts216 Member

I'm getting the red icon at the bottom of my uTorrent which I never use to,I've done everything that was suggested & I do have the port Forwarded,my torrents are still downloading though so does this matter???

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Arts216

There are so many posts here, I am not sure but I think you indicated earlier that you had UPnP enabled.

If you did forward the port with the guide at portforward, then you should disable UPnP.

With the red icon you can still send out data and make connections, but others cannot initiate connections to you.
    See See Why is being firewalled bad? by Shadow.

6. Decodem

Decodem Regular member

Hi I go to the tweak website he mentions but the java screen dosn't load. I have the latest java and all I see is a box with a red x in the corner. I did the test to see if it was up to date and it showed the working video.How can I make it load?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  7. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

As far as the Java, whenever a new Java is installed you should always got to Add/Remove to remove all old versions of Java as the Java install does not do this.
    I am not sure if it will help on the site, but it is a security risk to leave those.

As far as the speed test, if the above does not help with that site, you could try
    http://www.speedtest.net/

8. Arts216

Arts216 Member

Well,I actually disabled UPnP the other day to see if that would change anyting but no it hasn't..

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The only things I can think of (there may be other reasons) that would cause it to change from green to red after forwarding is either you did not set a static IP or the port is being blocked by your ISP.

I forgot to mention earlier that a port in the 6881-6999 range should not be used and a port in the 49152-65534 range is safest. Port is Blacklisted.

If you are not using one that is in the 6881-6999 range, it is unlikely that it is blocked by your ISP.

10. Arts216

Arts216 Member

I'm using port 31350, & I did set up a Static ip.
    I'll try another port..

11. Arts216

Arts216 Member

Another question, when I'm port forwarding my router what do I put for port start & port end & port map? Say for example I choose port 56094 to forward do I put that port in all the boxes & also what protocol do I choose TCP,UDP OR TCP/UDP?

12. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Port Start, Port End and Port Map all should have the 56094.
    I see the guide shows only TCP, but I thought it had to be TCP and UDP.

Also I just thought of another possibility on why your network status changed from green to red.

Check at Options/Preferences/Connection (the same place you disabled UPnP) and make sure the Randomize port each time uTorrent starts option is disabled.

13. dustin37

dustin37 Member

If you want to save all the heartache of trying a million different things, click Start, then run, then type in services.msc in that window that pops up scroll down to windows firewall double click it, make sure its "disabled" then click "stop" then "apply" then OK.

Next in your Utorrent preferences, for your speed select 2m, I dont care what your computer or connection is capable of, use that.
    -Now in the preferences of uTorrent go to the Bandwidth setting and set your maximum UPLOAD is 34, theres no reason to make it higher no matter what you hear. Make sure also that your Max DOWNLOAD is 0 (zero is unlimited)
    *be sure to click APPLY when you're done.
    Now go to the Advanced setting and change your Max Half open from 8 to 30, click apply again and close uTorrent.

next download this
    http://www.lvllord.de/download.php?url=en/EvID4226Patch223d-en.zip
    and run it, select YES to change your opening to 50... its not a virus as some antivirus software may say it is, most say its not, it opens your max half open connection to 50, instead of the default 12.

(when your windows protection message pops up, select "CANCEL")

Now go about your day downloading and using uTorrent, Ive used both and we all have our preferences but on 5 of my computers, not one of them has been better than uTorrent, you can find the newest build on here.
    http://filehippo.com/download/53f7bf17874c65a46e7a2ab0219c498d/download/

14. Sebu92

Sebu92 Active member

Heard of a thing named ratio? Guys like you are the biggest problem in p2p-networks.

15. dustin37

dustin37 Member

Well "Sebu92" if you bothered to read uTorrents own recommended settings for maxing out your connection so that you're not giving up too much of your own bandwidth; which can cause your own downloads to slow down drastically... you would see they dont recommend going higher than 42. Wow imagine that someone reading something.

Reading is fundamental.

*also there is a setting where once someone is done downloading whatever file they want uTorrent can automatically then increase to whatever settings you desire. I was trying to help, something you obviously didn't do as I don't see your advice anywhere.

and fyi. My computers are on 24/7 all 5 of them AND my upload limit is unlimited allowing you to use up all my bandwidth when im not downloading something. Idiot.

16. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

Well theoretically I guess he could set up a schedule to run the upload speed at unlimited overnight.

17. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Where is that?
    I have read the UTorrent Setup Guide and numerous other guides and each one talks about setting upload at 80% of ones overall upload capacity.

18. Sebu92

Sebu92 Active member

And very easily, with uTorrent.
    Why would someone with a 10/10mb connection, for example, want to seed just 42kb/s? That would be just mean. :) Something like 1000kb/s would be better. And if it would stall the download speed, it would be decreased slowly. Please, use your own logic before blindly believing a text. And I would like to see the "uTorrents own recommended settings", please? Pretty please? ;P

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  19. JRsmoothy

JRsmoothy Member

im stuck on the port forwording step got my static ip address but cannot acces my router by putting my original ip address in the menu bar justs says "website not found" or i get the damn google search out of it without even using google help!!

20. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

What is your router make and model?
    What bittorrent program are you using?