1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide to Twilight Hack and Wiigator's Backup Launcher

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by evnflow, Oct 1, 2008.

1. evnflow

evnflow Guest

****THIS IS FOR FIRMWARE 3.3 OR LOWER..THE LOADER WILL STILL WORK ON 3.4, AS LONG A YOU HAD THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL INSTALLED, USING FIRMWARE 3.3 OR LOWER..ALTHOUGH REPORTS SHOW THAT YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO INSTALL WAD FILES THROUGH WAD MANAGER, ANY LONGER(ON FIRMWARE 3.4)****

*****Update: here is Wiigator's Backup launcher V3(beta)..i have made a channel that will install over the previous channel from the previous package...if this is your first time installing, then it will make a channel for you..just follow the steps(except on version 3, you DO NOT have to install DVDX..that was just for version 1)..only real changes are that you will now install a NEW cIOS through WAD MANAGER (i.e. cIOS installer), instead of using the previous cIOS..and it will play UNPATCHED games(no need for the Backup Creator program)..it will also play your patched games as well, just may have to retry loading a few times..here is the link to the files, that are ready to be placed on your SD card: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AI4N77F0

also here is just the channel wad, for those that already have it installed and would like a channel for the launcher(remember, overwrites the previous channel i put up, and place in the WADS folder on your SD card and install through WAD Manager): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YN65JE5W

ok..here we go..first off i'm not responsible if you brick your wii..this is done on your own accord and risk!!!..use the following link to receive the Twilight hack save file(for use with Wii 3.3 or lower), Wiigator's Backup Launcher, and files needed for enabling homebrew..with all of the files already in place, just put onto an SD card and insert into your wii..but first follow these instructions before placing onto card and into your wii.. http://rapidshare.com/files/150110460/Twilight_Hack__backup_loader__and_emulators_for_wii.rar.html

how to install Twilight Hack:
    1.)you will first need The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess(and no, not a burned copy..your original)..then you will need to back up your old saved game if you want it, by going to Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data -->WII..and copying your old save file to you SD card and placing it onto your computer..then follow the next steps..

Inside the zip file you will find versions of the hack for all three regions. You may copy all of them to your SD card, but you will need to choose the correct one to copy to your Wii based on your version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. USA users, additionally, need to determine the correct save slot to load once inside Twilight Princess. The easiest way to check your version is to compare the text string which is on the inner circle of the data surface with the ones below.
    Region Inner circle text File Save slot
    Europe/Australia (EUR) RVL-RZDP-0A-0 JPN /private/wii/title/rzdp/data.bin Twilight Hack
    Asia (JPN) RVL-RZDJ-0A-0 JPN /private/wii/title/rzdj/data.bin Twilight Hack
    America (USA) RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN /private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin TwilightHack0
    America (USA) RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA /private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin TwilightHack0
    America (USA) RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA /private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin TwilightHack2

Step by Step

[​IMG]
    1. Begin by formatting your SD card to FAT16 if it is not already (in Windows it's just called "FAT"). FAT32 should also work in the latest release. (Formatting will erase ALL data!)
    * If you get an error such as "Failed to read boot.elf (-1)!" then reformatting your SD card with the Official SD Card Format Tool may help.
    * To do this on Mac OS X, open the Disk Utility (in Finder click the Go menu, select Utilities and find it there). Your SD card should show up as two entries. Choose the second entry, and then go to the Erase tab. Select the FAT16 option in the Volume Format dropdown, and assign a name to the device (if you want to), then click Erase. Confirm that you want to erase, and then follow the rest of this guide when it's done.
    2. Copy the "private" directory from the download to your SD card.
    3. Take your homebrew Wii executable (elf or dol file) and save it in the root directory of your SD card as "boot.elf" or "boot.dol" as appropriate.
    4. Now, put the SD card into your Wii and turn it on.
    5. Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii.
    6. Find your Zelda save, click on it, click "Erase"(if you don't care about the game save..if you do..copy it before you place twilight hack onto your SD card..then copy to pc..then start back over on Step #1), and click Yes.
    7. Open the SD card and select the "Twilight Hack" save that corresponds to your game region. Note: Some people are having problems with the Wii not "seeing" the save file on the SD card. If you are experiencing this, try setting the archive bit for the data.bin file - in Windows this can be either be done from the file's properties dialog (right click on it in Windows Explorer and check the box) or from the command line using "attrib +a <path to data.bin>". More info at #wiihelp on Efnet.
    8. Click copy and then yes. Now exit out of the menu.
    9. Insert The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game disc and run the game.
    * If you have the USA version of the game, load the "TwilightHack0" or "TwilightHack2" version of the game as appropriate (see above).
    * Otherwise, load the only "Twilight Hack" save game.
    10. Once in the game, either walk backwards or talk to the man standing in front of you.
    11. Enjoy. (From Wiibrew.com)

ok..now that, that is done..let's move onto the homebrew channel and backup launcher..

1.)erase everything off of your SD card again(using Fat16)

2.)go into the "Place on the Root of your SD Card" folder and highlight ALL of those files/folders..copy them over to the ROOT of your SD card..

3.)place the SD card into your wii..

4.)Go to the homebrew Channel..click on WAD MANAGER..install CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042

5.)then install DVDX..using the advanced setting and choose ISO249

6.)then go back to WAD Manager and install HD_Backup Launcher..this will create a new icon/channel on your WII Start menu..called Backup Launcher..

7.)place backed up game in wii(that have been patched with the wii Backup Creator..should be around 3.99gb)..go to Backup loader..follow the instructions on screen to launch your game..

**NOTE:Take out ALL Gamecube Cards when installing your WADS**(thanks Senzafine and Dryxel)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  2. senzafine

senzafine Member

HI there nice read me...

Have instalkled the homebrew channel on my WII 3.3 E, europe version but it doesn't load any of the applications, any ideas?

Thanx Rhod

3. subhuman4

subhuman4 Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  4. evnflow

evnflow Guest

sorry..will make an update file revision..it is' CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042..sorry for any inconvenience..will have the link updated shortly

@senzafine..what apps are you trying..wad manager doesn't load?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  5. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

I got something that Might help him.I had that prob also and all I did was reformat the Card with fat32, And it worked.Atleast for me anyhow.

6. subhuman4

subhuman4 Member

7. evnflow

evnflow Guest

8. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Just curious, why doesn't this work with a back-up copy of Zelda?

EDIT: This works with a back-up copy. I just installed with burned copy of Zelda. You still have to know which version you have, 0 or 2 (I have the US version). So if you don't still have the original disc or didn't check before you "misplaced" the disc you could try either save file but I'm not sure what will happen if you use the wrong one.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  9. evnflow

evnflow Guest

that was meant for installing on a unmodded wii..did you already have it modded?..because i don't see how you got the game to read a burned copy if your wii wasn't modded

10. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Yep, already modded. Sorry!! --Chikn

11. evnflow

evnflow Guest

@ChiknLitl..that's cool..you kinda threw me a curve ball when you first said it..haha..

12. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

After you asked if it was already modded that made me think about it. Doh!! If I've got a mod chip why would I need the back-up loader. Nice guide though. ---Chikn

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  13. scott909

scott909 Member

Pretty much all of that tutorial was just copied from the wiibrew site!

14. evnflow

evnflow Guest

yeah..i stated that in the tutorial..i just put the files in place for everyone so it would be easier..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  15. h_geeman

h_geeman Guest

Noob question. To play backup games with this hack, do the games have to be backed up via the backup creator? Will regular backups work? When I mean regular, I mean games dumped with raw dump or friidump and then just burned straight to disk with ImgBurn. It sounds like I have to dump first, then use backup creator, then burn?

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes all games need to be patched with the backup creator.

If you already have a backup of a Wii game all you need to do is use ImgBurn to rip the backup to PC then patch and burn (backup games do not need to be riped via rawdump).

17. senzafine

senzafine Member

hi there have been away for a week, to elaborate on my problem, i have installed the homebrew channel, i format my card, and then copy all the files as instructed, insert the card, launch homebrew channel, click on wad manager and where it says loading it does not move off 0%.

I have tried a few different cards, formatters, fat16 and fat32 and all do the same.

18. Dryxel

Dryxel Member

I tried installing the homebrew channel and I just can't get things to load right. when it starts to load the elf file, I get this error.
    Failed to read boot.elf (-1)!
    No Code found to Load, Hanging.
    I've tried reformatting the card multiple times I've tried different elf files. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

19. subhuman4

subhuman4 Member

From googling around alot of people were having the same trouble you were. Most fixed it by formating the card which you have tried. The wiki says to use a particular format app: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack

Others found that unziping the file with winrar corrupted it.

I would suggest trying the instructions above even if they are redundant and if that doesn't work try a new SD card. Kingston is always having specials: http://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=SD/2GB&promo=FLASHQ4

20. Petries

Petries Regular member

I've been trying to make this work all evening, with no luck. I see something about not using winrar, but what program would one recommend we use then? The files load up on the Wii, and I've successfully installed the homebrew channel, but one is starts installing the WADloader is won't leave 0%. Any help would be greatly appreciated.