Hard drive Question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by SONY007, Mar 6, 2003.

1. SONY007

SONY007 Member

Western Digital Caviar 120GB Special Edition 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-001-WD). I want to order this H/D on-line but I notice it says OEM, so like with processors when it says OEM i've been told it means it doesn't come with a heatsink, so what does the OEM mean the H/D comes without just so I know before I purchase?

2. fruitfly

fruitfly Member

I may be wrong, but I would assume that it means it doesn't come in a box and has no manufacters warranty. It should mean it will come in a static bag and have some short warranty (like 30 days) from the where ever you buy it from.

3. monzaman

monzaman Guest

OEM means original equipment manufacturer(s). The guarentee etc is exactly the same (under EC and UK law) but the equipment might come without an IDE cabel or software. Neither of these is a problem, buy a decent IDE cable for a couple of quid from ebuyer etc (rounded type) and dload any software from the 'net, although you don't really need any software as your XP disc will format the disk (presuming you are on XP) select NT over FAT32 for a more stable system!

MONZAMAN

4. Liquid86

Liquid86 Guest

I bought my HD OEM and All I got was the HD itself, though it did come with the full manufacturers warranty, just not an IDE cable. OEM is a great deal and one I reccomend. Whenever you order something OEM just be sure to ask what it comes with, though you can rest assurred you won't get duped since the manufacturer will back it 100%.