Hard Drive Question!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by JOHNSTARR, Jun 25, 2006.

1. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

I just got my xbox modded and now I want to upgrade my hard drive. Someone please hook me up with a good place where I can get a xbox compadible big hard drive for a good deal..

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

How's it modded.. If it's chipped just buy any big one. There are actually very few that won't work.. Whatever avoid Fujitsu, off the top of my head I know they aren't compatable. http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
    You need a lockable one if you want to use the MS dash. The Seagate 300GB barracudas st3300831A are a good deal. I buy them locally for £104. No mail order, No wait.

If it's softmodded then you need to look in the softmod forums for details of making a large drive from scratch. In this case it's vital that it can be locked

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  3. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Check out Newegg if possible. 250GB Western Digital for $89. Not the biggest drive possible, but that's a good deal.

4. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

I just installed a xenium soderless mod chip. Thank you both for the imput.

@jigen or any elite mod expert?

is this hard drive cool to get on newegg? I'm just being cautious because I'm such a lammer when it comes to this stuff and the last thing I want to do is buy the wrong thing.

'http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144397

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Sorry..not suitable. That one is a SATA and to use it you'll need a converter which are unreliable and expensive.

Check the list for the compatable ones. You need just a standard IDE, 7200rpm 2 or 8 mb cache.

6. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

7. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

@janrocks
    btw you can use Fujitsu, my first xbox drive was a Fujitsu when I wa jsut starting to mod, now I use a Hitachi Deskstar 250 gb.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Quite right, but you need just the right one.. Look on the list and you'll see that most Fujitsu don't support locking. No good for running a MS dash.. ;)

9. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

O.k. I have purchased the suggested 300 gig hard drive and thanks for the link for that. Now I have just finnished reading a how to for installing a new hard drive and it says that I need a hard drive power splitter. Is that in fact true or can I take out the factory hard drive and replace it with my new one. Man life would be soo much easier if I had a smart friend locally like you guyz and they could show me hands on.

My end goal is to get my mame and daphne emm. up and running but it appears that it is just a dream at this time.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  10. steimy

steimy Active member

with a modchip switching the HDD is easy pie.
    i had a friend write me a tutorial on how to do it. You will need to go and find Slayer 2.6 on a torrent site and download that and copy it to a DVD.
    http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=672
    also if you do not have them you need a Torx 10 & Torx 20 screwdriver. You can get one with both bits at places like Radio Shack for real cheap.

You will not need anything special, just the correct HDD, then you just swap one for the other.
    Without a mod chip it would be quite a bit harder, so congrats on that.

11. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Johnstarr- You like Daphne as well eh? I have always enjoyed these games and the Xbox version of Daphne is pretty good at Space Ace, Dragon's Lair and Mach 3. Cliffhanger doesn't seem to work very well, but it's playable anyway.
    Anyway, if you need any help getting this running let me know.