1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has cdfreaks/MYCE Forums Closed For Good

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Sophocles, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Are we now at the end of era? The roots of Social Media began long before Facebook popped onto the scene. In the 90s there were numerous Bulletin Boards where people with like interests could globally interact with others. Tom's Hardware.com was a popular hangout for PC builders. It's where I used to go to check for the latest bios updates. They would have them packaged for download and ready to copy to a 5.25" floppy. Then Tom's like many sold out to another tech company.

Over the years I've joined a number of forums to engage in discussions about various tech such as computer building and video transcoding. One of those forums was cdfreaks.com, which later for obvious reasons changed its name to MYCE. While there is still a MYCE.com website functioning, it appears the forum has closed.

I joined AD a few months after I joined cdfreaks, and I engaged in a number of discussions involving DVD backup, and computer building. That was on March 1, 2003, which is now almost 20 years ago. From time to time I would drop in on the people at cdfreaks, but over time my presence as a member became sporadic as my visits became fewer and fewer. I still get the urge to drop in every now and then, and yesterday I had one of those urges, but this time it was gone. I can't say if it's gone for good, but it sure is starting to look that way.

If anyone has an idea of what's going on, I would be interested in hearing about it.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I used to go to the Nero section of MYCE. Might have even participated there. I think you're correct that there's no longer a forum. On the right hand side of the Home screen, you can click on Latest and things like latest posts and it will say there are no posts to display.

Found this- https://confusedbird.com/thread-174.html
    which substantiates it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It does seem as though cdfreaks/MYCE is now a part of Internet History. Doom9 is still there, and jdobbs is still active supporting BD Rebuilder.