1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having problem with DVDShrink analysing and encoding twice (takes 1.5 hrs!)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rvoyles, Dec 7, 2003.

1. rvoyles

rvoyles Member

I've use DVDshrink (3.0 Beta 5) successfully to shrink about 20 DVD's so far. The last 3 or so times i've used it i've had this problem. I finish reauthoring it and hit back up....but when I click "ON" "analyse for better video quality" it goes throught the whole 45 min compression a encoding process....then when its done, it starts over and reencodes it for another 45 min.
    It doesn't do this if I don't click analyse. And it didn't do this on the first 15 or so dvd's I've used it on.

Anybody know whats going on?

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

Shrink 3.0b goes trough one pass of analysis then goes into it's encoding process. My 2200+ (~1.8MHz) AMD system takes about 45 minutes for both passes when I use 3.0b. I use 2.3 and reauthor keeping only the Main Movie, English soundtracks and English subtitles 99.9% of the time.

Tick of Deep Analysis to save time. -=I=- can't see a visible difference using Deep Analysis...but that's just me.

luck-
    RWG

3. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

the analysis feature is only needed if there is significant compression (?>30-40%) of the movie. DVD shrink uses a constant compression algorithm (unlike dvd2one which can be variable) which can be problematic for some titles. If it is a scene with a lot of motion and background changes, then the mpeg2 compression had to change too many things an you might get pixelation. This is going to vary depending upon the film, size of your tv, etc. Most people do not see a difference with up to about 30 or 40% compression with up to a 60" screen.

The deep analysis will "analyze" the movie to apply the compression in a ?more intelligent manner. (it does not become variable) It does improve video quality but is not needed if there is not a whole lot of compression. No matter what system you have, it seems to add 40 minutes to the ripping process, so it becomes a cost/benefit analysis to perform the analysis.

4. rvoyles

rvoyles Member

thanks for the help....I was using the deep analysis on every DVD...for some reason I thought it had only took 45 min WITH the deep analysis on before....Maybe I wasn't using it before...well, thanks for the help...

Rob

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

6. shape

shape Member

with dvd shrink deep analysis, if you select it from the menu before backing up, or check the box in the pop-up window after you hit back-up, does it make a difference?

thanks

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Using the Deep analysis button (or from the menu) will ensure you see a more precise estimate of the titles sizes and their corresponding compression ratios.
    It is recommended to use it this way if you do not have at least one title set to "Automatic" or if the titles have already reached their maximum allowed compression (which you can check by switching them to "Ratio" and see if the ratio can be lowered down).
    Using the Deep analysis checkbox on the backup window if the above conditions are not met can create oversized backups.

8. shape

shape Member

thanks. sorry but i misworded that. i just meant if there was difference between selecting it from the menu or selecting it in the checkbox.

thanks

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

There are no differences between the two.
    But as I said, doing it after having set the compression ratios can make for an oversized backup if the settings didn't allow DVD Shrink to make automatic adjustements. ;)

10. shape

shape Member

ok, thanks. do you know the max space on the output files is 4,464mb, and not 4,700mb?

11. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member