Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by adamryer, Jun 16, 2004.
No matter what hd you have, you can't put games on it and play them online off the hd.
well heres another question
how do i save my loaded games on to the hard drive instead of useing my memory cards i cant get that to work at all. i have been istalling games and they work but it does not see any memory space to save the games. do i have to turn on some thing for this to work or am i sol
can sombody help me out?? I PURCHASED A NETWORK ADAPTER,100G HARD DRIVE, AND HD LOADER. eVERYTHING IS HOOKED UP. Every time i load up hd loader i get hardware error. It cannot dectect my hard drive. I can hear the hard drive working and wheni take it out it is still making noise. How do i get this hd loader to work. I have ps2 serial number scph39001
did you set the hd to master?
sly how do you config your hard drive to ps2
there are no jumpers on the hard disk drive. i think master is the standard so yes it is on master
There should be jumpers on every hard drive. Usually there are 3 settings: Master, Slave, Cable Select. I've been a service technician for 8 years and have never seen a hard drive without them.
Also make sure your hard drive is supported by PS2. Virtually all Maxtors are supported. This site lists them all:
Does any one know a way to play games online with a harddrive if you do plz tell me.
you cant play games off the hd online.
And why is that.
i don't know exactly why, but you can't.
i just got the final fantasyxi game and hard drive today and i cannot get it to find the hard drive at all do i have to do something so it reconizes it or should it automataly find the hard drive but this is driving me nuts. CAN ANYONE HELP this sorry oerson
it SHOULD read it on its own. how strange.
i know thats what i thought bec the first time i did it, it loaded up and then it fail then i tried it againand would not find the hard drive i am so lost with this hard drive stuff
MINE STARTED TO READ IT RIGHT AWAY(MAXSTER 40 GB)
i only found out about this whole ps2 hdd stuff this morning, i have a few quesions, but please answer me if i'm wrong.
1. you don't need a chip, unless you want to transfer backup games to the hdd.
2. i only need a maxtor hdd, a network adapter & a hdloader or hdadvance disc.
3. games copy just fine from originals but require a swap magic or modchip to transfer backup games.
4. it mentions all games have to be in a certain mode before they will boot from the hdd, but can they be set just the once, or do they have to be set every time. cause i have young kids and i think it will be quite confusing for them to have to swap the mode every time a game with a different mode is to be loaded, so can it be set to 3 for a certain game and say mode 1 for another. what i'm asking is can the mode be master set for each game or does it have to be set each time i play it. ?
5. also no support for dual layer games, but can't these games be ripped from a dvd drive in a pc and stripped of all the bollocks, like we used to do with the dvd games that were burned to cd-r ? i'm aware a chip or swap magic is then needed to transfer the game to the hdd. has anyone tried this ?
6. can the hdloader or hdadvance be removed from the ps2 disc drive after it boots the game, does the laser stop ?
7. i read that ripped from a pc it is faster than being ripped from the ps2 drive, can the pc be linked to the ps2 via usb as the ps2 has 2 usb ports, using a certain software ?
i like the idea of no discs for the kids to scratch, and faster loading times.
I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.
2.well, you need that and a ps2, a game to copy, and a memory card technically. Maxtor 40-120gb reccomended. Seagates usually work, Western Digital require modification
4. most games require no mode at all. Only certain ones require a mode change. And yes, once you switch the mode (say mode 3 for example) the hd loader will remember your settings. No need to change it ever again! Go here for a list of compatability and modes that I've also posted elsewhere on this site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.miller/HD Loader Compatibility.htm
5.correct. But I have no experience with this. WinHIIP is supposed to be better than PC handiness at doing this, I have read.
6. Yes, it can be removed or left open. I just never bother because I don't here the laser reading the cd disc at all during gameplay.
7. Depends on your dvd-rom. But yes, usually much faster. 20min rip can be cut down to 4min. I believe you have to take the drive out of the ps2, and connect it either to a external hard drive via usb 2.0 or firewire or directly to a hd port on your pc. Whatever is more convient for you. Again, I've yet to do this but I've read up on it.
I love my HD loader. Loads games faster and makes it quick and easy to find a game from the list. HD advance might be a bit of a pain since you have 2 discs to worry about. The only thing I worry about is scratching my hd loader disc! Now that thing is a pain to backup from what I've read.
One other thing, remember that you must take your hdd and switch it to master otherwise you will have problems like I did at first.
How do you configure the jumper setting?
I dont get what dat means?
Some one answer my question...
Friends, I have one big question, por favor.
Some people here have written that IF YA AIN'T GOT MODCHIP, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO INSTALL GAMES FROM BACKUP DISCS ON THE HARD DRIVE...
But!.. If I understood you guys correct, it is possible to install games on the hard drive even without a PS2. I mean through regular computer. Right?
So basically you can do following:
1)disconnect HD from PS2,
2)connect it to the PC,
3)install some games on HD using PC,
4)disconnect HD from PC,
5)connect it back to the PS2
6)enjoy da games
IS THAT CORRECT?
P.S. Can you use those PS2 ISO images (from Kazaa for example) to install them on the hard drive? And will you actualy need to burn ISO'z or not?
THANK YOU VERY MUCh, Comrades.
Separate names with a comma.