1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdd TO dvd

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by rtrg, Mar 30, 2020.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

how do I copy a saved video in WINDOWS EXPLORER TO a recordable dvd?with or without free software. WE has a BURN tab and can burn ISO,data, and videos to dvd using the drag and drop method. the issue is that the VIDEOS library and the BURN dialog do NOT appear side by side on the same page. when I open the library, then the burn tab the library disappears and the sample videos ONLY in the same library appear. that is the only videos I can drag and drop. I have videos saved in the videos library I wish to record on dvd. these were recorded using a screen recorder. I can open these from the recorder app which takes me to WE. but I have not found a way to display that library and the burn dialog on the same page so I can move one or more files from one to the other, the burn to disc. there is no issue recording to hdd using this app or playing a dvd using other apps. but I cannot fig ure out how to record DVD FROM HDD. I can record the reverse using POTPLAYER or VLC. solutions please? free apps if needed to bridge the gap please.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hi rtrg-

Which OS are you using?

Right now, I'm on Vista. If I click on Burn in WE, it asks me to insert a writable disc if one isn't already inserted. I can then browse to a folder containing my videos and select one or more to burn. I can then, right click on one of the selected files and select Burn with X, where X is Nero in my case. The only thing I don't think one can do with this method is select files in more than one folder.

I'll have to change some settings to try your method.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have discovered by accident that if I open a saved recording using my screen recorder the recording shows up in WIN EX as it should in the videos folder. the BURN button is at the top as it is if you open WIN EX alone, in my case from the tray. insert a recordable disc in my case a DVD+RW, the burn dialog appears, burn as CD, then burn. works perfectly. I missed the BURN button on that screen. that is why drag and drop does not work since only the sampl videos are in the folder. only the screen recorder moves those videos to WIN EX. select one and burn. no drag and drop needed. I feel stupid.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I frequently feel stupid with Windows and I've been using it for 30 years. :oops:

I'm glad you have the solution.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

nice to know I am not the only one. while I got you here, is there an open source reversed engineered or windows like OS for download as an ISO or a cd I can buy that supports windows apps/.exe files? the closest I came to was REACTOS which does not really exist. the others are mostly LINUX builds which does not work for me. also is there ANY win7 FREE word processors with built in OCR that does the following--- open app/ open scanner/scan document into app/ edit it freely within the app/ save and print the changed doc and/or send it to my active email or open email and import it? I can further edit in email before I send it. I use OPEN OFFICE as opposed to WORD. I refuse to pay when free is good enough. I tried many OCR apps and none work as I want. Any ideas? I have been at this longer than you. I should know more than I do.

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

yes and many others. NONE do what I need. I was looking at EB just now looking into various MS office/word apps. 2 choices, buy a CD WITHOUT key but WITH a lifetime subscription for up to 5 computers using the same key, OR buying a key for a specfic app, the download that app and use this key for installation. I posted this just now for other users to read.

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In regards to scanning, I just looked at how it's done in Word 97. In short, you select Insert, Picture from scanner and this opens the Photo Editor from which you then scan your picture from the scanner, edit it and save it. After saying that, I looked in my copy of Word 2007 and there's no option in Insert, Picture to insert a picture from scanner. Turns out one has to insert the picture as clip art which, for this case, is the same as a picture.

I just found a photo editor (PhotoPad) which will import a file from a scanner (you don't have to physically open the scanner software, it does it automatically). Works like a champ. You can send the photo via e-mail or share it to a number of websites from within the software. You can save it in all the common photo formats and even as an icon. Of course, this doesn't meet your criteria for opening the file directly into a word processor.

Are you using Apache Open Office? It has the same capability to insert a picture from a scanner.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Have you found anything that will work for you?

10. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

yes I use OO to scan a text doc into OO. it is NOT editable. I can only edit SAVED docs within OO, reopen a doc, edit, and re save the new doc under the same or new name. I tried many OCR apps. ALL lost the original documents formatting to the point of being useless. does your recommended app solve the scan/edit, issue?

11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

We were talking about scanning a Picture. Apparently, that's the type of format that OO is scanning. I have two scanners and if I want to scan a text file as an editable file directly to editing software, I can select Word or WordPad in the scanning options of the scanner software (you might be able to select OO in your scanner software) and, when done, the scanned document is opened in the selected software. I can also have it save as a text, pdf or rich text file which can be opened in editing software.

12. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

OO only offers its own format, ODT, to save documents to in the program itself. there is no way to scan a text document into either MS formats. OO CAN open such documents but not allow scanned documents to be saved in those formats. nor can I find a FREE app of any kind that allows this. I have tried any number of OCR apps but none are useful. they ALL lose the original documents format to the point of needing to retype the document. ideally I need a FREE app that allows a scanned document to be turned into editable text while retaining the text format as it does when producing a "picture" of the text. I cannot find such an app nor am I going to spend $$$$ on such an app only to find it fails as well. this also is not a necessity but it too is irritating.

13. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Doesn't your scanner software have the options that I mentioned mine does? I realize that it's an extra step in the process you want.