HDD vs Mini-DVD? about to buy one

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by zombieman, Dec 29, 2006.

1. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

Hey guys.. Im about to buy a video camera and really don't know what to buy. I really like the HDD cameras and was debating on the JVC EVERIO GZ-MG21U, but the buttons feel kinda cheap. But I do like the thought of recording up to 4 hours of video on the HD. But another issue would be if I were on vacation then all i can record is 4 hours and thats it. Unless I had a laptop to transfer the video to and then format the camera to get more video.
    I also have heard good things about the Mini-DVD cameras. But exactly how much video can you burn to one of the Mine-DVDs? Someone told me all you could get on there was about 40 minutes? Is this true? Can someone give me the rundown on these two types of cameras..

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Indeed, HDD camrea's do have the disadvantage that you mention. Another one is also that they record in MPEG: lower quality and more difficult to edit. DVD camcorders have this same disadvantage of recording in MPEG, and editing can even be more of a problem because you have to "rip" off the MPEG streams. Another issue with DVD's while travelling is that they are vulnerable.
    My (and many others) favourite is still miniDV. Tape may seem a bit outdated, but they still offer the best quality, are less vulnerable and offer superb editing possibilities...