1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Kamran, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I live in the UK and i currently play my games on a basic 14" tv, the games look good to me the graphics look good with my xbox. I am going to buy the xbox 360 soon as it comes out and i know it will look good on my tv but there is this big fudd about HDTV etc etc. will the games look alot better on HDTV then on my 14" tv probably yes but can someone confirm. also i cant afford to shell out £1000-£2000 on a good HDTV whats the cheapest option for me to experience hdtv that will look alot better than my 14" tv. get a monitor? lcd monitor? any ideas? cheap as possible please

2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

HDTV??? YES!!! If you can afford it, go that route. It does make a difference.

I have a 32" JVC I'Art Pro HDTV. I'd have to look at my manual for an exact model # but trust me...Get one. You'd even a big difference if you bought the HDTV plug for your current xbox. You see games in a whole new light. Did I mention, get the HDTV?? LOL!!

3. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

thats the problem cant afford it but theres no cheap way around it?

4. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Amazon usually has good deals. eBay has got everything you can think. I was able to find an HDTV for my bedroom by a company called Advent and I think it was a little over $300. Maybe $305-310) not sure.

5. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

am in the uk how big was that hdtv which u got for 300usd
    thats in my range

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As HDTV is still in its infancy in Europe, including UK, you must be really, really careful what you buy. Most companies advertise pure **it stating it as "HDTV compliant". What you need to look for is the native resolution of the screen, which must be 1920x1080 -- called also 1080i. Most plasma sets, etc still sold in Europe have lame 800x600 or even worse resolutions, thus providing only bigger picture, but not better picture quality.

First HDTV movie channel here in Nordic launches tomorrow, airing 3 movies each night with 1080i using MPEG-2 -- 25 gigs per movie if you capture them :)

7. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

understood ya mate but the prices here are like £2000 and they are massive tv's i need a hdtv for ma bedroom and i cant touch those prices

8. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

9. dRD

AFAIK, cheapest true HDTV (1080i -compliant) sets in Europe cost about 5000 euros. American models don't work here.

This is what I mean by false advertising:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-2242133-6879027

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-2242133-6879027

"widescreen HDTV ready", but the resolution is only 1365 x 768, thus true HDTV picture needs to be shrinked in order to fit, which always makes the picture quality to drop, normally quite significantly.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  10. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

was wondering how u lot were getting them so cheap guess am out of luck

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Very familiar with Europe, LOL. Was in Germany for 2 yrs (RAMSTEIN Air Base)
    That's why the world is tied together by forums like these. People can help one another out. Kamran, if you're really in the market I'm sure I could help you find one and server as the middle man for shipments for you. Anything is possible.

12. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

How much would that 27 inch cost though to ship here in the uk and wud it work as a hdtv in da uk?

13. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

NO CLUE! But I do know there are several companies that ship overseas. Mainly Europe and Asia. You just have to do some hardcore searching and hope for a little luck. Doesn't Amazon have a UK website??

14. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

thanx alot mate for all ya help il look more into this yeah they have but its uk prices again

15. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

np, Good Luck. And uh, well, Happy Hunting ; ).

16. TruthMan

TruthMan Regular member

i live in the UK and tranno find actual good HDTV's at cheap prices is VERY VERY hard. i just cant dam find one, but im still looking. any tips would be helpful :)

17. dRD

TruthMan: You can't find cheap, real-HDTV sets in Europe yet. I recommend you wait a year and I assume the prices would by them drop below £3000 for 1080i -capable plasma screens.

18. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@dRD

I'm just curious...Is it always the same type of scenario like you explained with the with HDTVs in Europe with other electronics and "technological advances" or has it been selective overtime? If it has always been that way, do you see it changing for the better or is it just one of those things?

19. dRD

uniique1: No, not really, it depends totally on the technology and its adoption rate. I think TV is generally less appreciated in Europe than it is in States as a form of entertainment, which might play a part in the decision. Another issue is that if you try to set a Europe-wide standard for TV, you have 35 national, government-owned public broadcasters for starters. Then add each country's commercial players and you end up having to make a compromise with 1000+ broadcasters, whom each have equal "size", whereas in States, it is really enough if the ABC, NBC and CBS set a standard, everybody else is pretty much forced to follow.

But then there are opposites of this -- mobile phones being a particularly good example. American market is full of "red tape" and its legislation resembles the former communist countries' "efficiency" and level of bureucracy. Did you know that U.S. is pretty much the only country where recipient for a mobile phone call pays the fee above local rate?-) In other countries, mobile phone numbers can be identified by their own, dedicated "area code", thus caller knows already he/she is calling a mobile and thus is responsible to pay full charges. The American scenario for current situation where some people who have phone, keep it turned off or screen their calls as they'd have to pay for telemarketing attempts, is made possible by "local Bells" who'd obviously lose millions of landline users if a) landline callers would have to pay the full rate for calling mobiles, when it would become cheaper to call mobile-2-mobile instead b) local phone line operators would be forced to offer DSL lines without forcing people to get a landline as well. Good example are Nordic countries where landline use been dropping 15-30 percent per year and phone companies seriously talk about possibility to scrap the landline system altogether.

Enough rambling. But hopefully illustrates that existing, protectionistic attitudes of companies/governments are, IMO of course (just my observations, been living in variety of countries in my life), the most important reasons for differences in technology adoption rates between Western countries.

20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I know exactly what you're talking about there. I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan in 1997 and after the first couple of months I bought my first cell phone. I thought not paying for incoming calls was the norm. I was young and I had never owned a celluar or beeper for that matter. Now I'm in Guam and being a U.S. territory they take on all the "find a good way to take your money" schemes that the U.S. has adopted in several instances. I'm very familiar with the call screening technique. ;)

As for the technology in question and dependence upon its adoption rate, that makes a lot of since. HDTVs in Japan were very easy to come by and in many areas well before some parts of the U.S. they were just extremly expensive. I guess that has to do with them being creators of a large portion of electronics technology as well. Which of course, and apparently unlike Europe, TVs are a big part of their entertainment and lifestyle.

Have you heard anything about Japan creating HDTV on the next level? I'm not sure of the name, maybe Super HDTV, but I heard it's supposed to be the NEW REVOLUTION in TV technology. OMG! Can it get any better!?