1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a n00b to the PS2 scene

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by SirWhack, Jul 31, 2006.

1. paws613

paws613 Member

Another noob...I was browsing the internet and this thread was so helpful I registered just to post in it ^^.

I have a couple of questions:
    I got this service installed on my slimline v12 PS2:

http://www.modchipstore.com/Playsta...te-Pro-Mod-Chip-Installation-Servi-16164.html

(^I chose the 'Pro' chip to be installed)

So now I'm hearing I need to buy 1) a hardrive, 2) a 'laserfix' (where/how do I get/do one of those?), and 3) HD Combo?

Man...I'm dumb as hell. I thought this was going to be easy-peasy. Basically, here are my questions:

So I'm about to buy a harddrive off of newegg, and here are my questions:
    1. Is a game about 3 GB?
    2. If I just buy the harddrive, is that all I need to get this thing up and running? Or are there more wires/connectors/software that I have to purchase to make it work?
    3. Is it just going to be a plug-in-back job? I know that my PS2 was made to accompany the FFXI HDD, but what about a different one?
    4. Considering that the harddrive can't fit inside the system, it will be in the open air. Will this keep it cool enough? Or do I need to buy some computer fans?

This is the harddrive I'm thinking of buying:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16822152020

2. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

1) Games range from CD size (~700MB) to dual-layer DVD size (~9GB). However, most games are about 4GB in size and fit on a single layer DVD.

2) If you have a v12 PS2 & DMS4 Pro, then an HD Combo/laserfix/hard drive will finish off the needed parts.

3) Slimline PS2's cannot natively accept hard drives, hence the need for HD Connect or HD Combo. Definitely get an HD Combo. Any non-SATA hard drive will work.

4) The HD Combo has dual fans that cool the hard drive, so you're fine there. HD Connect does have the drive in open air - and I don't recommend it.

Your link to the hard drive doesn't work.

To connect the HD Combo requires a decent amount of soldering - I would be very confident in your abilities before installing the chip & HD Combo.

I've had excellent luck buying all my chips & related from www.mod-chip.com. Just ordered 3 DMS4 Pro SE chips and an HD Combo (arrived yesterday).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  3. BenJeremy

BenJeremy Member

Having done a ton of searching on the subject, I've heard that the Laser Fix really doesn't help (In other words, a "Myth Busted").

Apparently, the big laser killer is DVD-RW discs (RW, not "-R"), which require more power to resolve in the pickups, causing the drive laser head to overheat. I've never trusted Sony drives, and apparently they delved deep into the Sony cheapskate bag of tricks when they developed the Slimline (Which is apparently very notorious for laser failure, compared to the "Fat" PS2s, which already have had a problem).

At any rate, what Raderj said will work... the HD Combo box, as I've seen them, apparently will house any PATA IDE drive. Unlike the network adapter, which is looking for a specific form-factor with the power and IDE connector, I think the HD Combo just has regular PC-style cable-based connectors.

Good luck.

4. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

Any references to the laser fix not being useful? I was under the impression it was very needed for the v12 PS2 (but not later versions).

5. BenJeremy

BenJeremy Member

I wish I had bookmarked the article... what I remember was that they had a ton of rather impressive screenshots captured from a digital o-scope on the effectiveness of the "fix"

I don't imagine you'll see it linked on mod-chip sponsored web sites, given the conclusion.

Ultimately, I imagine it can't hurt, but I just avoided getting anything other than an old-style PS@, just to be safe.