help installing windows 2000 pro

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by amrit01, Apr 13, 2004.

1. amrit01

amrit01 Member

hey i am having trouble installing windows 2000 pro right now my operating system is windows xp home and i would like to change it over to windows 2000 pro buut it wont let me cuz when i instaall it it says u are running a later version of windows 2000 pro so we can not install this os HOW DO I INSTALL WINDOWS 2000 PRO

2. gotisos

gotisos Guest

If you want a clean fresh install, (Ie: you are not upgrading or don't car about what is on ur comp) You can go into ur bios when ur computer is booting up, then set the boot order to CD-rom, cd-rom, cd-rom, then when it reboots and asks you if you want to boot from cd, press any key and presto

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

When you start installing Win 2K -- the program evaluates what is presently on your hard disk.. and sees Win XP...-- then refuses cause Win XP platform is a derivative of Win 2k.

The solution is simple -- do a clean install. -- Use your BootDisk and reformat your hard drive . Then if your bios is set up to boot from the CDRom ; the win2K installer will start the installation from scratch.

This by the way is what is called a ""clean install"" -- means you have emptied and cleaned your hard drive of all the data that was there previously.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

oh yea..
    be sure to have a copy of [bold]smartdrv.exe[/bold] on your boot disk and run it so file transfer goes faster in dos...
    also..
    to run the win2k setup in does, cd into the i386 directory of the win2k cd and type [bold]winnt[/bold]
    peace

i'll be posting an O/S clean install guide soon (xp version but same concept for any other win os)
    good luck!
    peace
    seamonkey420