HELP ON MY GUITAR

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by okan00011, Mar 30, 2008.

1. okan00011

okan00011 Member

I was think about changing the stock pickups on my dean vx, because there too noisy. I was going to go for the EMG 81/85 set, what do you guys think?

I guess the real question is, will they fit?

2. varnull

varnull Guest

How do you mean "too noisy"?

3. okan00011

okan00011 Member

hum of course, my style requires alot of gain. The stock humbuckers give off a noisy hum

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

what amp are you using? you may be pushing it to hard or check your connections

5. blu3man

blu3man Member

What type of guitar do you have? Noisy humbuckers are usually signs of bodgy cheap guitars (as they were designed to eliminate noise and "hum").

If you have a cheap guitar just save up for something that is a bit better as the wood quality/type also has an effect on the sounds.

Yes they will fit but if your humbuckers are noisy i would first try and see why they are noisy.

6. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Give the make and model of your guitar, and amp.

Also, if you're using a pedal or processor, tell us what that is as well. Too often i've seen guitar players using a jimmy-rigged set up for their pedals and processors that would cause noise.

I use a Zoom 505 on my practice setup, (i know, i'm dating myself with that tid bit of info) and i hate chewing through batteries, so i snagged the first a/c adapter that seemed to be right, which came off of an old answering machine. It caused all kinds of noise through my Line6 practice amp, even on the clean chanels.

There's a few different things that could cause noise is the point here.

You go swapping out and putting some humbuckers, which are usually a higher gain than standard single coils, and you'll make the noise worse without adressing the proper issue.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  7. okan00011

okan00011 Member

its a Dean vx, Deans are awsome guitar in the first place. I have the standard humbuckers on, the pedal i use is the digitech death metal distortion, and the amp i use says spectra 125 on it, idk what company that is lol. But it cant be the amp, because the hum only goes on with i put the gain into it. When the pedals off my tone is great but im a metal guitarist. And anyway, i tried my setup on my friends line 6 spider, and i still got that annoying hum, but his shecter classic has no hum using my pedal. Ita definatley my pickups, but i dont have the money to change them. I was wondering aout buying a sound gate (noise supressor) but idk which one to go for.

8. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Does the hum go away if you put your fingers on the strings at the base of the neck? If so, you've got an internal ground issue somewhere.

What's your power source for the digitech pedal? Batteries, a/c adapter?