HELP ON WHAT COMPUTER TO BUY

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by BIRDSHOCK, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BIRDSHOCK

BIRDSHOCK Member

OK guy i need help on what computer to buy> i have a bugget of 1100 and i what to get a gaming computer> now iam not specting to get a great computer with this much but if you guys can tell me witch one is best and my bugget can cover it>

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

is this dollars or what?

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You wont get much buying from a store, but you will get alot for that cash if you build it yourself. There are many threads about building here at Afterdawn, simply look over a few and see what type of hardware is being recommended then come back with any and all questions you have.

4. BIRDSHOCK

BIRDSHOCK Member

its US DOLLARS and thanks but if i try to bult it my self my parent wold kik my ass aim only 17,,, lol well so if u think there are eany computers outer bult alredy that are good under 1100 just tell me.. or if someone bults it for me and how much would it be>

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

If my 17 yr old wanted to build a computer, I'd be happy that he's trying to have a hobby that will be able to get him a job down the road instead of setting on his ass! Regardless, if thats the case and $1100US is your budget then look for a computer around $800-900, spend the extra 300 on maxing it out.
    99% of store bought machines dont have a proper graphics card, its usually integrated in the motherboard and sucks power from the rest of the system. Buying a dedicated card will not only look better but also free up resources that was being used to run the onboard video. Since buying from a store the OS will be Windows Vista, get more RAM because Vista is a resource hog, you'll need extra, most machines only come with 1GB you'll need at least 2GB.
    I'd say buy these 2 things with your leftover money and you'd have a decent machine and stay on budget. Are you ordering online, or are you going to buy this from a Best Bi- store or from Wallyworld MArt, something like that? Let us know your ideas.

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

this is a good thing to do, but the firs tthing to up grade will have to be the PSU. if you dont upgrade this first, you can forget it.

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Normally I'd totally agree, but many lower to midrange video cards dont have an extra power connection, so its not much of an extra strain because the PSU isnt sending juice out of yet another lead to new components. If the video card is high powered enough to warrant the 6 pin PCIe connection, I'd say get a new PSU. But if buying a video card that strong, why put it in a store bought Dell, you'd put it in a machine where the other parts would match its performance and it would obviously have a better PSU than a Dell. There are many cards out there that beat onboard graphics that dont need the extra juice. Will an 8600GT play Crysis at max settings? No, but it does everything else OK and I'm pretty sure it'll beat most any onboard graphics out there and it doesnt need extra juice.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I built a PC at the age of 16, it's not as hard as you might think. If your parents aren't convinced though, there are places like IBUYPOWER that will build pretty decent spec gaming PCs for reasonable money.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I built my first PC at age 15. Honestly if you were to get my PC from bestbuy(from their gaming PC line) it would cost you 2 grand, and it only cost me 850 building it myself. So think about that.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's about the sum of it. For getting an uber-cheap PC, you'd probably struggle to beat the offers from Dell, Gateway etc. on bargain basement PCs by building yourself, but as soon as you get beyond $600 or so, building your own PC is very doable, and highly recommended. Contrary to what many might think, it results in a better made and more reliable PC 95% of the time.

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Helllllloooooooooooo, BIRDSHOCK are you still there?

12. BIRDSHOCK

BIRDSHOCK Member

ty guys for all this i told my parents all this but they said no. so they got me a dell 531

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Sorry you didnt get to have the fun of building your own, but that doesnt seem to be an altogether bad machine.
    Top of the line AMD is not as fast as an Intel but its not bad. Most models come with Blu-Ray burner I see. Blank discs are too expensive ($20+) but maybe you could hook this PC up to an HDTV and stream Blu-Ray movies and videos! That would be nice.
    ATI 2600XT video card standard with it should get descent framerates on most games, nothing spectacular but very playable.
    Hope you have fun with the new toy, let us know if you have questions or run into problems.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really a proper gaming PC, but you could have done far worse.

15. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

Same here! I was fun and scary in the beginning.

a prebuild computer from Dell, hmm...oh well its better than nothing.

@BIRDSHOCK why you parent won't let you build your own computer?

I help my cousin build a computer(good cpu, and the rest are crap) it was a piece of cake, and it worked plus i overclocked his E2140 to 2Ghz and running stable, it feel so good at the end

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Trust me I've been there, I had to get my current PC prebuilt when it first arrived (June 2006). After that I've been allowed to modify it and rebuild it as I please.

17. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol giving your age away there

You learn a lot building your own computer, and if your computer has a problem you'll know where the problem is.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well exactly, if you know how to assemble or replace parts in a PC, you're no longer at the mercy of the tech support company of the PC you bought.

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

thats 100% correct, sometimes it takes ages for them to find the problem.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I built mine at a young age too.

Also this thread is dead.