HELP phillips dvd5960/37 hdmi to dvi

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by MOBSTATUS, Mar 24, 2008.

1. MOBSTATUS

MOBSTATUS Member

I really need your help. i just purchased a phillips dvp5960/37 dvd player and i hooked it up with the hdmi to dvi cable. when i turn it on i get the main screen with black lines from left to right going up the screen then when i put a dvd in to play as soon as the dvd starts it goes to a fuzzy snow screen but there is still audio. when i hook it up normally with the regular cables it works fine picture perfect. i wanted to use the hdmi to dvi so i could use the upconverting feature. i have messed with it now for hours and i have researched it on the internet for even more hours but i cant find nothing about it. my firmware is 37.06.42.33 and i have a samsung TXN3098WHF television. PLEASE HELP.

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Sounds like your problem stems from the HDMI to DVI cable hookup. This may be a given, but do you not have and HDMI input on your display device?

Some of these upconverters may require you to use an HDMI cable to get a 1080i image. Maybe the fact that you are using a HDMI to DVI cable is the reason for the faulty playback? Try hooking it up with a set of component cables. Component should be able to produce a 1080i image as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  3. MOBSTATUS

MOBSTATUS Member

thanks for the reply. the player cant upconvert over component cables. the hdmi to dvi cable works just fine in my digital cable box.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

How do you know? Have you tried it?

Regular cables? Are you talking about the RCA cables? If that works, then the component cables should work as well.

I still think it's your connection.

Also, make sure all your settings match up on the DVD player as they are on the tv.

BTW, heres a region hack for your player

1. Turn on the unit
    2. Open the loading tray
    3. Press the "Setup" button on the remote
    4. Navigate to the "Preferences" page using the right arrow key
    5. Enter 138931
    6. You will now see the current region code displayed
    7. Use the Up/Down arrow keys to select the region required or "0" for all regions
    8. Press the "Setup" button on the remote
    9. Press "OK" on the remote

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  5. MOBSTATUS

MOBSTATUS Member

yeah im using RCA cables and i have also tried using component and it will not upscale. whats funny it wont even upscale with the HDMI like its suppose to. thanks for the region free hack. this really sucks.

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Maybe it's just the player then?

7. MOBSTATUS

MOBSTATUS Member

IM NOT SURE WHAT THE DEAL IS. DOES DVI TO HDMI USALLY GIVE ALOT OF PEOPLE PROBLEMS?