Help with website

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by cubs23, Jun 16, 2009.

1. cubs23

cubs23 Member

Ok, I am going to create an auction type website and as of right now Im at ground zero. Can you guys give me any helpful resources, tips or info about web hosting, domian names and anything else related to what I want to do? Im really a newbie at this sort of thing. So, thanks for the help. Also I did find a script that Im going to download.

(also if there is a better place for this I will try to move it)

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Hello there.

What you're looking to do is very ambitious, and will not be an easy task at all, but if you're serious, I can help inform you of what all you're going to need.

Because I don't know how savvy you are with computers, I'm going to word this so that even a beginner can understand the bulk of it. Please don't take offense if you're a computer wiz, I'm just doing it for the sake of readability.

First and foremost you're going to need a server. This is the machine that the website runs from. Your server does not have to be very advanced in the begining, just a low level server will do, you can always upgrade later.

You'll want your server machine to have FTP (File Transfer Protocol) access, POP3 and SMTP server software (The stuff nessicary to recieve and send emails at addresses like cubs23@yourauctionwebsite.com or such), PHP Server Software (used for presenting website data in a streamlined format, saves time of writing a webpage for every single item), and support for a good many SQL databases (where all of the information is stored).

There's no need to go out and buy or build this server machine, however, as there are plenty of affordable server hosts out there.

Once that's all said and done, you're going to need to begin working on the website itself. In order to do this, you'll need a DataBaser who's experienced in SQL. Next you're going to need a graphic designer to actually create the look and feel of your webpage. Often times the graphic designer will be able to make the webpage for you, but you're going to need a PHP WebDesigner to make sure it all functions as it should (searchable interface, easy to use, etc).

Once that's all said and done, you're going to want to purchase a URL (webaddress) from a site like godaddy.com or some other similar site.

Once that's done, the only thing left for you to do is advertise your website by placing it in search engines, exploiting local advertising methods such as radio, commercials, and billboards, and of course there's always spamming popular sources like craigslist and whatnot.

That said... I'll begin to list off places you could go for each of these services:

~For Hosting Donbiz.net is probably one of the best all around "Bang for your buck" packages that I know of. Before buying into though, be sure to let me talk to the PHP Webdesigner friend of mine who might just be able to get a deal made for you. He hosts about 4 websites from DonBiz and I don't think he pays too much for it either.

~For Databasing, you can turn to me, I'll create the databases for a low one time cost (after giving you a free sample of my work) and then maintain them for a low percentage of site earnings (lets say 3%? This means I'll basically be working for free unless your website starts making more than $100,000 a month -- at which point, I'll be happy, you'll be happy... Everyone wins.

~For Graphic design, while I have experience with it, you'd probably be best to turn to someone more experienced than myself, such as a Graphic Design company like Printing Panda (LINK), or paying a friend of mine (Link) to do it.

~For the PHP Webdesign, as I mentioned earlier, the absolute best person I know for the job is a buddy of mine, but he stays really busy with other work. If you want to get in touch with him let me know and I'll see if I can't send him your way.

That should pretty much handle it, I would think... Yep. With that sort of setup you could build any sort of site you want, but I make no promises of success because ebay is very hard to compete with.