Help with winrar , extracting...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pblank12, Dec 18, 2007.

1. pblank12

pblank12 Guest

Hello,

Say i have a split volume, like part1.rar ---> part8.rar I have have downloaded up to say part4.rar, or just not the full volume. Well i can start extracting the files and actually watch what has been extracted so far. You get that warning prompt box that tells you it needs the next part etc.. and if you cancel that prompt then what has been already extracted is deleted etc... anyway so if don't click cancel and open whats been extracted it works well apart from (if it was say a movie) then i cant fast forward the movie, as the player doesn't give this option, only when the full thing has been extracted.. etc..

Is there any way around this... ? Quite a specialized question...

thanks

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No, in short, I very much doubt it.

Rar files are a like a jigsaw puzzle; if you're missing a few you can see the picture but you need all of them to complete the puzzle.

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You can get to keep the partly extracted file(s) if you check the "keep broken files" box in WinRAR.

You can view them and in many files seek as well in VLC Media Player.

You can load the part files into Virtualdub and get it to repair/recreate missing index blocks. There is an option in the open files dialog.