1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey dRD, maybe you could work this out. Really would apreciate it.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Mayes, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Mayes

Mayes Member

You might have read my last posts, but have not received an answer so far. My problem is the following:
    I have ripped an original movie DVD-9 to HD using SmartRipper (all files mode) created new IFO with IfoEdit 0.87 (VOB extras) and stripped only the movie (remux) to a new folder. Corrected IFO´s and BUP´s (Get VTS Sectors) and Burned it to DVD-r (DVD-5) with Instant VOB CD/DVD (UDF/ISO)included UDF and checked Joliet options, Also Made it Region Free with IfoEdit. I am able to view movie in PC/DVD and two or Three Stand Alone Players (mostly APEX and Daewoo) with no hassle (the DVD runs the movie directly). Anyone has an idea why am I unable to play those DVD-R´s in other stand alone players (like Pioneer 414, Thosiba, Samsung M203, etc) FYI I have succesfully burned (Pioneer A03)and played on all the above stand alone brands several 1:1 copies to DVD-R(5), from movies DVD´s less than 4.3GB. The only problem is when trying to backup a bigger size DVD. Any ideas what I´m doing wrong? Big Thanks.

Not know what I´m doing wrong, have followed the guides posted here, and everything seems to work when copying 1:1 Dvd´´s, but fails when extracting only the movies (couple of audio and couple of subtitles). Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sorry man, no one hasn't been nice enough to send me free DVD-R yet, so I actually don't have experience with DVD burning, I just try to assist people based on other people's comments and guides in this issue. I would suggest that you check Doom9's guides for DVD->DVD-R backups and see if those help you figure out what went wrong.

3. dRD

4. Mayes

Mayes Member

Thanks dRD, Don´t know how could I had offend you with my post, if so, one big sorry for you. And forgive my english.
    "El hombre sabe cuan inferior es, hasta que baja al nivel de otros".

Cheers.

5. dRD

You didn't, my humor is just rude as always :)

6. dRD

Tell me if you get it working and what helped you, I'm interested to hear, ok?

7. Mayes

Mayes Member

Ok, of course a will tell you how it worked out, as soon as I get it done, as I remember thats the forum goal, to share isn´t it?

By the way, the link you posted, is ok, but I don´t want to reduce image quality, I´m pretty sure there is a way out there couse 1:1 copy turns out fine, I´ve done it with more than 30 diferent movies by now using Doom9´s guides, and also made like 8 succesfull movies extracting menu´s and extras, but can´t make them work on a couple of brands (and they work on 1:1 copies)

8. dRD

Cheap players, like Apex and Daewoo, shouldn't be really considered as stand-alones because they use PC's DVD-ROM as an internal drive (I know, I have Apex and I've replaced the drive twice now) -- so if your discs only work with those "cheap" brands, you definately have some issues with the burn process or IFO creation -- Pioneer is the best brand to try if your DVD-Rs were successful, it's The manufacturer that complies with all the standards and if your DVD-R works with Pioneer, it's ok -- if it doesn't, you have made a mistake somewhere.

9. Mayes

Mayes Member

You´re right about those cheap PC-DVD players like APEX, every DVD i have acomplished plays on APEX and of course in PC-DVD´s.
    What I dont understand is that I own a Pioneer 414 and a Samsung M203 stand alone players, and both work fine with a 1:1 movie DVD copy, but never with a larger one that I have to reduce size (cut menus and extras) with IfoEdit, although they play with PowerDVD and WinDVD. I found a place where it says my pioneer does not play DVD-R´s, but that isn´t true, couse I can play DVD-r´s done with a 1:1 doom´s 9 guide.
    I might try a diferent IfoEdit version to see if it works. Tell you later what I came with.

10. Mayes

Mayes Member

Hey drD, finally did it!

As acorded before, I finally made a movie to work on my pioneer 414, here´s what I did, not sure the method is already listed before:
    Movie: Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.
    Region: 4
    DVD lenght: 5+ Gb.

a) Ripped with SmartRipper in files mode (all files.
    b) Copied *.ifo *.bup and *.vob files (only those of the main movie) in these case _02_xx.vob files to new directory.
    c) Renamed _02_0x.vob, ifo and bup files to VTS_01_0x.vob, _01.ifo and 01_.bup (only those in new directory. Also renamed
    d) Created new ifo with IfoEdit (from the new directory *.ifo file and saved it into that new directory
    e)Open newly created ifo file and GET_VTS sectors corrected, saved (also bup file) procesed all ifo files. Done.
    f) Burned with Nero as UDF/ISO level1, no Joliet option checked and burn at 1x. Presto

It works on the Pioneer 414 Stand Alone Player, All audio/Subtitles (English, Spanish, Portuguese) included. Of course no Menu.

Only one problem, it´s not working on my PC-DVD, but I suppose that is because of the UDF Nero´s option, It never works on my PC-DVD unless burned with Vob Instant CD/DVD, Joliet option checked and using UDF 1.50 version. Not sure why. But I think I´m making an advancement here. What do you thinh?

11. dRD

Mayes: Cool info, let's see what other (lucky bastards who already have DVD-R drives ;-) users have to say about your method, but I guess if it works with Pioneer, it should be OK with all the other DVD players as well.

As far as PC playback is concerned, did you try PowerDVD or...?

12. Mayes

Mayes Member

Forgot to Specify. Uh.

The method described above does not work on another PC-DVD when using DVD-RW, but it does work when burned to a DVD-R.