Hi-8 Analog tapes to computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by bmullenix, Jul 25, 2008.

1. bmullenix

bmullenix Member

I have tried every kind of search I can think of and haven't been able to figure this out. I have a friend's Samsung SCL860 Hi8 camcorder with a bunch of Hi8 tapes that I want to upload to my computer. Here's my setup. I have a GR-DVL805 JVC mini DV camcorder that I thought I might be able to hook up to the Samsung and copy the Hi8 tapes to but haven't been able to figure out how to connect them or what settings I would need both camcorders to be on in order to do this. I also have an ATI 9600 graphics card in my PC but also can't figure out how to connect the SCL860 to it. I normally use Pinnacle Studio Plus for capturing from my mini DV camcorder using firewire connections but I'm totally stumped as to how to get these Hi8 tapes into Studio so I can edit them and burn to DVD. As far as I can tell, the SCL860 only has two types of connectors, AV out and S-Video. There is no USB connector on this model. These are family videos and the only way they have been able to show them to people was to connect the camera to their TV. I sure would appreciate it if someone could give me some direction. I'm normally pretty good at this sort of thing but I guess I have a mental block because I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions as far as connections, programs to use, etc. would be appreciated.

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Find someone with a Sony Digital8 and then you can use firewire.

3. bmullenix

bmullenix Member

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried finding someone with a Digital 8 though and none of my friends have one.

4. lavet

lavet Guest

I don't know if this will help at all, but i have a Hi8 sony camcorder and i have bought a software called DVDXpress DX2 and hook my camcorder to the DVDXpress DX2 and with the software that comes with it watch and record to DVD or save it to my computer. I paid $150 canadian for it. But it works with my camcorder and it is a Hi8.

5. bmullenix

bmullenix Member

Thanks for the input. I will look into it.

6. davidand

davidand Member

Hi8 is an analog format. you need to convert it to a digital signal before you can record it to your hard disc and author a DVD from the hard disk. One way to convert the analog signal to digital is to use your Mini DV camcorder. Many of those camcorders can be used as an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). Consult the manual for the camcorder for how to do this. If your camcorder cannot do this, you will have to buy a video ADC. Pinnacle Systems makes one called the Dazzle. You plug S-video (or composite video) and 2-channel audio in one end, and out the other end comes a USB plug carrying a digital signal which you record to your hard disc using a video recording utility. i use Roxio Easy Media Creator but there are many others.