hi all need adivice on good gaming latops

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by reader34, Aug 29, 2008.

1. reader34

reader34 Regular member

2. reader34

reader34 Regular member

Sorry for spelling.. you wouldn't of thought i got a gcse lol

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Of course you can't go wrong with alienware but then again...you pay big for alienware gear.

I was reading the the gateway notebook is kickass and you can get it at bestbuy gateway notebook

If you want to customize what you want in it the check out cyberpowerpc.com

4. varnull

varnull Guest

You can go very wrong with alienware.. especially with laptops. There was another thread all about one which has turned out to be impossible to repair without manufacturers type hardware to flash the bios on a non-boot hdd failed machine !! AVOID!! Alienware machines are off the shelf systems (usually hitachi type mid band) tarted up to look good and sold at way over inflated prices. They aren't good value compared to a top end home built system... the only serious gaming choice.

The two words gaming and laptop aren't compatible.. laptops are really built for low power consumption and low heat output with no way to upgrade graphics hardware.. gaming rigs eat juice and often run on the hot side but you can install anything you want. My $0.02 on the subject.. laptops look pretty but cost about 2X the price of similar spec desktop machines.. and for gaming you will have to upgrade graphics every 12 months or so to keep up with the stupid requirements.. new machine needed.

5. reader34

reader34 Regular member

Okay that is fair enough. Let me explan my situation a little bit more... I have a Rig, very up 2 date and very juicy!!! When i say juicy the bills go sky high since i have had it. My mate had a dell laptop not a realy expenisve one but i saw cod4 and it looked pritty good to me.. im not really Fused that i cant really upgrade my hardware, probs apart from ram and batts! Its a shame i liked the look of the alienware laptops, what xps from dell? are dell apart of alienware? if that the case should i stay away from a xps?

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I cant speak for alienware about manufacture repair as I've never owned an alienware notebook, but I have heard good things from people that have owned there notebooks personally.

I will disagree on this totally! I own a notebook that pushes a dual core 6700 2.66GHz overclocked to 2.929GHz FSB 1171.7MHz, an 80 gb Fujitsu 7200rpm HDD, 2gb ram Mushkin and a 8600M NVIDIAGT PSI-E 512 MB ram, overclocked Core clock 715 MHZ, Shader clock @ 1425 MHZ and Memory clock @ 600 MHZ...and I know I can push it even further!

I have no issues running Gears of War and Fear at highest settings, haven't tried COD4 yet but im sure it can handle it with ease.

Just adding an extra penny to the thought.

To say the least, there are gaming notebooks that can game and do everyday desktop works.

7. reader34

reader34 Regular member

So.. really they are woth every penny then, they are designed to run games such as the desktops do? only thing i dont wanna regret is paying nearly £1000 for a laptop where i could get one for half price?

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Your best bet is to research a bit more and make your decision as it will be alot of money invested.

Remember..research.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Hey geestar.. so next year when COD5 comes out with minimum specs that make crysis look like duke nukem will your $3500 machine cope or will you be off to the shops for a new one? ;)

10. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

My notebook costed me around $1400 and I am very satisfied! And im not talking about next gen games. My notebook will obviously not cope with COD5 or the likes of Crysis. As you know the day you buy hardware its already obsolete by months or even years. The new notebooks are already coming with newer better faster hardware.

The casual gamer knows that we will have to upgrade our rigs if we want to play next gen games...notebook or rigs.

The gateway notebook I posted already out performs my notebook by miles and so will the next notebooks in months to come.

Thats why I stated "Research"

11. reader34

reader34 Regular member

Okay guys will get researching :p, when i have found the one! I will update you with what i want.
    Reader

12. reader34

reader34 Regular member

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

buy from dell directly.

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

i would do a custom built laptop getting exactly what you want

15. reader34

reader34 Regular member

That is a good idea, i see dell do this with there laptops.. do any other places give you the options for that?

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

your local indie PC shop can do that also, that would be better than a dell (no preloaded software) building your own loading a clean OS system windows XP home or pro