Home Networking Problem - Win2K and Win98SE

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Su-Z-Q, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Su-Z-Q

Su-Z-Q Guest

Could someone recommend a tech who is willing to consult on a small home networking problem and is reasonably priced? I'm a novice computer user with a home networking problem. It should be a simple problem but I've been trying to figure this out on my own for the last 3 months and still getting no where but frustrated. I searched the web for similar probs, checked the forum threads but nothing I tired worked. I think part of my problems is with my Win2K PC being in a workgroup vice domain but no matter how I change settings for DNS etc, nothing works. I'm trying to network 2 PC's at home. PC#1 Win98SE and PC#2 Win2K and both connected into a Belkin Gateway router. Both PC's can connect to the internet with no problem. PC#1 can connect to PC#2 with no problem and can access all shared files. PC#2 cannot connect to PC#1 and gets the following error when trying to access it in Network Places:
    " \\computer name is not accessible. The network path was not found". However, I am able to "ping" PC#2 by name as well as IP address. I've tried looking at groupmembers/domains and several other possibilities, and am totally running in circles and just have to start over again from scratch. If anyone has any advice or recommendations please let me know, and thanks in advance.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

I would check a few things on the 98 box since the other way is working.

1) File and Print sharing enabled on the 98 machine?

2) Do you have shares created on the 98 pc? Type net view //(computername of 98 pc) in a dos window on the 2000 pc and that should show the active shares it sees on the other pc. Going to start/run then typing \\(computername of 98 pc) should show the same too.

3) Are both computers in the same workgroup and do you logon with the same username on both?

The underlying protocols appear to be working fine since you can ping by name and ip. That shows tcp and netbios are working. I would suspect one of the above is preventing you from connecting.

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Oops, a typo in step 2. Here is the corrected one. Its confusing switching from the unix / at work to the windows \

2) Do you have shares created on the 98 pc? Type net view \\(computername of 98 pc) in a dos window on the 2000 pc and that should show the active shares it sees on the other pc. Going to start/run then typing \\(computername of 98 pc) should show the same too.

4. Su-Z-Q

Su-Z-Q Guest

Xian: I think we're onto something here and you're correct that the protocols seem to be working. Beginning to look like a sharing problem. I typed NET VIEW on the Win98 computer and it showed shared files on both computers. When I did NET VIEW on the Win2K computer it showed shared files of the Win2K computer only, and NET VIEW \\win98computer showed "system error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found".

I did some research on file sharing (see below text in quotes), but so far I can't figure out how to add or map the user names as described. thanks again.

quote:

"You need user names and passwords on the Win2K Pro PC which map directly
    to
    > the user names and passwords being used to log into the Win98 PCs. They
    need
    > to be added in Local Users and Groups under Computer Management on the
    Win2K
    > PC.

:end quote

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I had this problem a long time ago when i migrated to 2K... if i remember correctly the "problem" is on the W98SE end of things. This worked for me: use NetBeui ONLY to communicate between computers... once (if) that works, re-add the other protocols one at a time.

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

You need user names and passwords on the Win2K Pro PC which map directly
    to the user names and passwords being used to log into the Win98 PCs.

You can probably get around this on Windows 2000 by using the Connect using a different username option when you are mapping a drive. Try to connect to the 98 pc from the 2k pc using the same username as what you are using on the 98 pc. If you are not sure what username you are using, type nbtstat -n in a dos window on the 98 box. It should list several things, one of them will be the current user name followed by a <03>. Try mapping a drive from the Windows 2000 box using that username.

7. Su-Z-Q

Su-Z-Q Guest

Many thanks for everyone's input. This gives me a couple more things to try and hopefully get this to work. cheers

8. Su-Z-Q

Su-Z-Q Guest

It works!! Finally got this problem fixed. I tried enabling NetBios over TCPIP but that didn't work. I took drastic action and deleted and re-installed the network adapter and protocols and it works. Strange that it was the same configuration that I had and don't know why uninstalling/re-installing the adapters and protocols made a difference. Thanks for the help.

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Cool! You never know with windows tho hehe...