1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Homemade DVD plays few seconds and stops

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by crumii, Feb 15, 2020.

1. crumii

crumii Newbie

First I have to let you know that I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to this subject matter, so please bear with me. But here goes...

I have some home movies that I've recorded over the years, and have burned them to DVD. One DVD in particular will play for just a second or two, then freeze. I was able to use DVD Shrink and create a backup, and I can open the files and play them through DVD Shrink just fine. However I can't play the files using VLC or WMP...they continue to hang at the same place. I've tried creating an ISO (don't know why, it just seemed like something to try) but it also hangs at the same place. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I can try to do to recreate a playable DVD? I don't have the original files that I created the original DVD with. I'm optimistic that there's some way to make this happen since I can watch the entire DVD through DVD Shrink.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. aldan

aldan Active member

you may very well have a bad disk there.if the file itself plays fine my money is on faulty media.

3. crumii

crumii Newbie

The file only plays fine through DVD Shrink. If I try to play the very same files through VLC or Media Player, no luck. Would that still make you think bad media?

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

What is the format of the files?

Do you mind sharing one with us? If so, upload it to something like dropbox, wetransfer, etc. ; share it with everyone; get a link; and post the link here.

I can try to recover it using Nero.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

what kind of video files are these exactly? theres not much vlc wont play.

6. crumii

crumii Newbie

These are .VOB files created by DVD Shrink, within the VIDEO_TS folder. VLC will start to play them when I right click on the parent folder and select Play with VLC, but it only plays for a couple of seconds. DVD Shrink will play them fine.

I've uploaded the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and contents to Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h61TGzkTvNoT7UyxoD9AaAmH54xv5Tud (AUDIO_TS folder is empty). If there is a better way to share these, like Dropbox, let me know and I'll share that way.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

7. aldan

aldan Active member

if it was me i would convert the vob files to dvd and burn it then.there are a lot of programs out there to do this.more than i can type right now.lol.just google convert vob files to dvd video.

8. sikosrus

sikosrus Member

Hello I downloaded your files and created a successful dvd using Wondershare UniConverter. This program automatically repaired files and burnt to dvd. If this is not in your budget send me your address and I will mail it to you

9. crumii

crumii Newbie

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. If you have Venmo or Paypal, I will gladly compensate you for mailing the DVD. I'll message you directly.

10. crumii

crumii Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I found a program called DVD Decrypter and another called Handbrake. I was able to create another VOB file. It played back, but had so many hesitation/skips, it wasn't really watchable. But when I used Handbrake to convert that VOB to mp4, the mp4 plays fine! That is great! I'll try making another DVD from that mp4 and see what happens. Thanks again!

11. aldan

aldan Active member

handbrake is a good program.good you got it sorted out.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A DVD is in the MPEG 2 format, and VOB files are supposed to be in the folders, they're "Video backup" files. I'm including a screenshot of the structure that will show you the files contained in a Video_TS folder. If your files are encoded properly, and DVD Shrink should do that, and then recorded to DVD Media, and you get a skip. Then the problem is likely to be with the discs, the burner, or the DVD playback player. Handbrake cannot make a compliant DVD recording, but DVD Rebuilder can with an original copy. Handbrake is best used for making MP4 or Matroska files, that are stored on a hard disk or a large capacity portable thumb drive.

Attached Files:

13. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

The vts............vob files are the video streams. The backup file is the .bup.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes I know the difference, notice the quotations "video backup?" The actual physical video backup is in the VOB file. You can't play a BUP file, it's set of instructions a back-up of the IFO "information files." An individual VOB can be removed from the folder and transcoded to other formats without the need of a BUP.

aldan likes this.
  15. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I agree.

16. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

back to the first problem?.. I'm thinking a broken index in original media causing confusion? does vlc still have the "repair index" option when presented with a partly broken file? (haven't run with vlc in years.. deprecated in my os repositories now even.. only use I can see for it is stealing livestream video from youtube ;) )

17. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Sometimes, video has dropped frames which are not visible during playback but will show up after you burn it to disc as a DVD-Video or similar. Converting the .vob to a video format may remux the file and eliminate those problems. I don't see any index repair in VLC Player but I don't think the index, if there is one, will be in the .vob.