1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I find a specific media type?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by VOLmaniac, Feb 20, 2010.

1. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

I have a factory installed DVD player in our Honda Odyssey that seems to be extremely picky in regards to which media will work. I had some old blanks laying around I burned that worked. These were Verbatim Datalife DVD-R (RITEKG03) and Memorex 4X +DVDR (RICOHJPN-R01-02).

After using all of these, I bought some Verbatim 16X -DVDR (MCC 03RG20) and some Memorex 16X -DVDR (CMC MAG. AM3), but neither of these two will work in our Odyssey's DVD player after burning DVD backups. The do work in our stand alone DVD player inside the house though, so I know I have good burns.

I really do not want to buy a bunch of blanks as trial and error, yet I'm hoping to find some type of media that will work in our Oydssey's DVD player as well as in the house. Is there a way other than trial and error to know which media will work in our Odyssey's factory installed DVD player knowing the above?

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Use 8X media, seem to work very well with my wife's old MiniVan. Option 2, try using DVD RW disks whicj usually are 4X. These seem to work as well. Just buy a 15 pack or so and re-use them on trips.

4. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.

5. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Regular member

If the player refuses to see Verbatim 16x DVD-R, then your player is probably near death. Those are easily the most reflective and cooperative of DVD recordables since 4x Verbatims.

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Some of the older mobile DVD players don't have the firmware to read some of the higher speed disks, the DVD player in a Chrysler Mini van didn't like nything faster than 8X, 4x DVD RW disks work flawlessly.

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The DVD player in the Chrysler minivan doesn't care about speed ratings or has firmware that can distinguish them. If it can't read discs that are rated faster than 8X, there is something different about them that it doesn't recognize--signal output, jitter, or something else to which it can't adjust. The problem, or limitation, is likely to be in the DVD player. Any DVD recorded in the DVD-video format, no matter what speed, dye, or type, is supposed to meet the same specifications as that for a pressed DVD played back at 1X. If all other players can read the recorded high-speed discs, the problem points to the car player.