1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem How do I add a second device to the 5.1 analog inputs on my AVR

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by oppie2, Mar 11, 2020.

1. oppie2

oppie2 Newbie

I want to connect a second device to the 5.1 analog (6 RCA cables) "external inputs" on the rear panel of my old Denon AVR 3805. I have my blueray player (which I also use for CDs) connected in this manner and the sound is awesome. I'd like to connect a second device in this manner but there is only one set of 5.1 analog inputs. There are all sorts of switches made to connect multiple devices to one regular composite audio/video input (red, white and yellow) but I've found nothing similar for the 5.1 analog inputs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about connecting a second device to these inputs? Thank You. 5.1analog.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

sorry if im not understanding right but basically you want to take two ouputs off each jack?i think they are the same as computer speaker jacks no?you can buy those splitters in any electronic store if they are.

3. oppie2

oppie2 Newbie

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm looking to connect two cables to each of those inputs but each of those inputs is a channel in an analog 5.1 system so I need a way to switch between which device is sending the signal and they just don't make switches that can switch between two 6 panel RCA analog inputs and send it to the panel as in the pic above. The only thing I can think of is to use two 2-way composite a/v switches (red, white and yellow) each switch will send three signals thus covering all six channels. It's rather clumsy - but what the hell, so I have to push two buttons instead of one, no big deal really. It would be easy to make my own switch but I just don't have the equipment to do that anymore.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

this is not really my forte but if you only had one source on at a time you wouldnt need to switch between them would you?even if you happened to have both on at once you would ,i think,just get a mixed signal.as long a only one is powered up at a time i think you should be ok.

5. oppie2

oppie2 Newbie

They do have cables that will split one female RCS input into two (I use them on my subs) but used in that manner, you are merely sending the signal of one source to two inputs. You cannot use these cables in the manner you suggest because without some sort of switching device, you will be sending the output signal of one source directly into the input of the other device (and visa versa) which can cause serious damage to both devices. You wrote "if you only had one source on at a time you wouldnt need to switch between them would you?even if you happened to have both on at once you would ,i think,just get a mixed signal.as long a only one is powered up at a time i think you should be ok." I know that sound perfectly logical but it just doesn't work that way. Even if one source device is turned off, you'll still be sending the output signal of the device being used INTO the output of the other device which can fry the unit even if it is turned off. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  6. aldan

aldan Active member

thanks for the info.looks like your gonna need a little luck.lol.

7. oppie2

oppie2 Newbie

Well, I do have another option. I'm sure you've seen those switching devices where you can connect multiple a/v analog source devices (the red, white and yellow) rca composite cables to one set of inputs and choose which source device you want to use by pushing a button but each is only able to send three signals … but I can use two of them each controlling three of the six channels, I just have to push to buttons instead of one. I didn't want to do this only because it's a bit clumsy but it would work every bit as well as a six channel (which I guess they just don't make). Thanks