1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I crop an image to fit into cover of dvd case ??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dabig25, Mar 20, 2006.

1. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I'm looking into getting those new smaller size dvd cases....
    (NOT SLIMLINE)

This is the case, I'm speaking of......
    http://www.supermediastore.com/single-10mm-pp-poly-cd-dvd-case-black-100pk.html

It has a clear outside sleeve just like the standard size cases but, of course it's a different size.

I download all my covers from .......cdcovers.cc.
    When I do make covers for standard size cases, printer uses up alot of ink, for these big images.

How do I crop these same images to fit into cover......that is

10 1/2 inches wide(10.5)

by

4 3/4 inches high (4.75)

for these new size cases ?

not sure what these measurements would be in mm, or cm ?

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

The size of that case is 5.8" x 4.9" x .5". Just use a photo editing software like paint shop pro to load the images and do whatever you want to them. Realize though that the old covers won't just pop into a squarer shape without things being out of proportion. If you can deal with that, fine. If you want them to look "store bought" you are going to be spending a lot of time trimming and editing to make them work.

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

dabig25- If the cases you are using are standard size dvd cases & you want the covers to look Commercial/ professional/Cool ect. you could download your covers online then print them witha program Called undercover XP which works really well and allows you toprint all kinds of cases! on the using alot of ink question printing anykind of pictures will use up ink faster than text that's just how it is . You may want to find a aftermarket ink supplier instead of buying Name brand cartridges ! also Printers with individual ink Tanks = Epson /Canon allow you to just replace the color ink thats low like blue/cyan for instance whereas yhose all in one cartridges it's all or nothing they will usually continue printing when one color runs low but the output may not be what you wanted or expected ! Hope this helped somewhat Good Luck & happy Printing!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  4. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

are those the same size as regular plastic cd cases? if so there is a program called acoustica cd/dvd labeler. I use that for my dvd covers. there is a cd option and it will fill it in for you regularly and crop it with the fold lines and all. Anyway that is what i use, but then again you have to pay for it.

5. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

The outside is almost the same size as a cd jewel case.

I haven't been able to make it fit though.

Been using software that came w/ my Epson printer, MediaFace4 software,
    &
    Nero cover design, w/ no luck.

@bigtoxy69, is that cover XP, that your talking about.

The same one you see advertised on ..........cdovers.cc website ?

6. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

??????????????

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

http://www.undercoverxp.tk/- Just google it ! I'm not sure if it's the same software on the CD covers CC site but you could check that too !

8. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

I use that undercover XP all the time, and its great. It has a pulldown option to print slimline DVD cases (7mm i think) and it can do CD cases also. Its an easy to use program, and free from what i can remember.

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

MaxBurn- Yup That's it ! I agree with that ! & the 7mm setting works just great with the verbatim Slim line DVD cases ! The Dvd Sized soft plastic 1/2 as thickas regular DVD cases - Not the hard plastic Cd style cases that crack if you look at them too hard ! Works great with fullsized regular Dvd Cases too but you know that too ! Good luck & happy printing !

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  10. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I went to undercoverxp, but how do you download it ??

11. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Sorry, I figured out how to download it.

Feel pretty dumb.

Thanks MaxBurn & Bigtoxy69.........

This site looks like the same folks that do coverxp, that's on the cdcovers.cc site.

I can't get the half-sized dvd box, or cd cover front+back to fit the dvd case I'm using. Here's the case I'm using.
    http://www.supermediastore.com/single-10mm-pp-poly-cd-dvd-case-black.html

Is there a way to edit the size ??

I need it a few mm wider . I need dimensions to be......

120mm high & 285 mm wide.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

dabig25- Not sure how to do the editting you need as I do mainly The fullsized DVD Box & 7mm slimline dvd cases 1/2 as thick & other than a little trimming up here & there that's all I need to do using that program . You don't have to apologize for dumb questions afterall if you don't ask your questions how do you know if it's dumb or not ? Just remember dabig25 That there is no shame in saying I don't know - That is ignorance - and everyone is ignorant about one thing or another ! There are so many things I learn from the Great Afterdawn.com Community everytime I read a post or try and bennefit someone with my meager & very limmited knowledge ! & No one can know everything ( well maybe God !) but were talking humans here are'nt we ? Anyway perhaps one of brother-or -sister members is using the same cases & program you are & can be of more assistance ! Good Luck & hang in there - Welcome Aboard !!!! Happy burning!

13. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

@Bigtoxy69

Thank you for the kind words.

Also AD has been such an awesome & useful site .

Especially the very knowledgeable, & helpful members as yourself.

I finally figured out the editing, but not by using UnercoverXP.

I've benn using another software that's been on my PC for awhile.

It's called North Cardinal
    http://www.northcardinal.com/index2.html

They also offer a 30 day FREE TRIAL.

I've been using it for a long time on my stardard size covers.

It costs $12.00 to buy. I didn't realize that w/northcardinal you can CUSTOMIZE covers yourself, to just about any size you want in inches.

I created another cover template......(half size dvd cover)

& put the exact measurements I wanted.

BAM !! got the exact size I needed.

Guess that $12.00, I spent about 2 years ago paid off.

They also have great technical support.

My PC crashed about a year ago. After I got it running again, they resent me my reg. code again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

dabig25- Glad you got it sorted out ! & sorry I could'nt help out more ! Yes These Guys and Girls are A good bunch ! We get an occasioanl Knucklehead or 2 every now & then ! Someone who thinks this a Fightroom or a Flamer's lounge ! But for the most part this is a good Neighborhood ! with great & helpful people ! and more than the occasional clown & joker too ! but all in the spirit of Joy & fun ! not hatefulness or spite ! And the greatest thing is no matter how big afterdawn.com gets there 's always room for one more ! Also Thank you for the info on that other program ( never haerd of it ) See you taught me something new ! thanx ! well Good Luck ! happy Burning ! TooT ! toot ! Happy Motoring !

15. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Thanks again bigtoxy69

Good now that , I've got the croping figured out.

I just ordered 100 pack of those poly dvd cases
    w/ clear plastic outer sleeve.

$23.00 w/ FREE shipping.

Any suggestions on what kind of paper to use for the outer cover ?

I've just been using normal legal size copying paper, but images come out very faded.

I know it's because of the paper. Would like to find something w/ a matte or glossy finish.

16. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

I ordered some DVD inserts from http://www.supermediastore.com . They are perforated, and of a heavier stock than regular paper. Sometimes you have to trim a little, but most of the time everything fits fine. The perforations are of the micro type. I believe these are the ones i ordered. (im at work, so i cant check the invoice)
    http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-case-inserts-matte-.html
    They work fine, and the colors come out better than when using stock paper.

17. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

got my mini poly 10mm cases in mail.

Pretty sweet, ordered a 100 pack. Think I will stick w/ these instead od the normal size cases.

18. milfhuntr

milfhuntr Member

I use ACDSee to print and organize my DVD covers.
    All you do is add a print size in the case of full size DVD cases I use a custom print size of 10.6 x 7 this is done on a Canon printer with quality brilliant white presentation paper I use edge printing and then trim the sides with a paper cutter. You can hardle see the difference unless you take them out of the case because the paper is not glossy
    but behind the plastic no discernable difference. The only ones that you can really see the difference is the holo covers like Butterfly Effect or anything with foils. I have over 1300 movies and have them all together on racks burns and manufactured DVDs and no one has been able to easily tell the burns from the store bought. Canon makes the most affordable printers. Expensive maybe on initial purchase but if u get a 4 5 or 6 tank ink system you can refill them quite easily. The nice thing is that you don't even have to take the cartridges out to fill them. All I do is pull the plugs fill the tank with syringe type ink bottles, replace the plugs and then close the cover. Job done with minimal mess. Maybe the odd bit of ink on the fingertips but that's it

19. milfhuntr

milfhuntr Member

Oh and if you are in the Vancouver BC area I found a place that sells the black DVD cases at 25 bucks for 100 single DVD or 28 bucks for the double cases. That's CDN money, so if you want the connection email me at i'manidiot.com edited by ddp and I'll set you up. If you are a dealer you can contact the dude direct if you are not you can use my Cash only account. The more you buy the better as it brings my discount up. :D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

milfhuntr, read the forum rules above about posting & advertising. also is not kosher about using your account to your advantage.