How do I wipe my hard drive clean???

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wrules, Nov 11, 2007.

1. wrules

wrules Regular member

I was wondering ow do I wipe my hard drive clean??? I want to do this so i will get rid of all the rubbish which is on my computer. After i wipe my hard drive clean how do i install windows xp onto it??

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

STEP1) a tool i would suggest is Mcafee shredder, it comes with any mcafee software, it does the job very well

this is a good one i have used, (the entire process of cleaning the hard drive then putting on windows)
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/faq.php -info
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php -download

STEP2)TO INSTALL WINDOWS ON A BLANK HARD dRIVE
    now turn on your computer
    Your BIOS is different then mine so can't give you specific information, but basically when you start your computer
    there will be an option to go to the bios or startup or something like that, you basically want to configure the boot to cd option, it wont boot the os (it should be wiped by now anyways), put in the windows
    install disc turn off the computer then start up and windows install will launch,

"Set your BIOS to boot to the CD then just boot the CD. Answer the prompts and it will partition, format, and install the OS for you."
    -QWERTY

3. wrules

wrules Regular member

thanks for that guide but i'm not sure what you mean by windows cd, my computer came with xp home edition but im not sure if i have the cd. What should i do if i don't have the cd?

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

He means you need to have a Windows XP Home CD. If you don't have one, get one, or use the recovery CD that came with your computer.

5. tripplite

tripplite Guest

wrules- I've done this to a thousand different computer types, so if you have any questions or problems during the process ask and I'll get back to you.