1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do u make BitTorrent download faster? i have been searching the answer for days.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by mindy2004, Jun 12, 2004.

1. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

rush, make sure the light stays green all the time,to make sure your port are not being blocked do this:

if you just wanna check if ur ports are open go here:
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    -click on "Proceed"
    -on the blue box there that says "ShieldsUp!! Services"
    type a port range like: 6881-6889. then click on "User Specified Custom Port Probe".
    -scroll down to the Port Table there, if the STATUS column say "CLOSED" or "OPEN" then you are good to go. if it it says "STEALTH", you need to configure your firewall.

i, for one, cannot give you any other tips other than by opening your ports. im trying to look for other ways myself. i keep talking about the green light and forwarding ports coz thats the only thing they keep saying over at the bittorrent pages when i try looking for ways to speed up my download.

chink, if that webpage said your ports where being "stealthed" that means those ports are being blocked by your firewall and its not accepting incoming connection; whatever that means. You have to configure your firewall to "forward" ports from 6881 to 6999. then it should say "closed" or "open".

2. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

oh, another thing, if your download speed is like really low compared to your upload speed, its possible you may be overloading your download speed. meaning you are allowing so many people to upload from you that you are leaving nothing to YOUR download. so if your download is like 7kbs and your upload is like, i dont know, 20kbs you should TURN DOWN your "maximum upload speed" a little. this option should be on the bittorrent cliet's settings somewhere. DONT turn it down all the way, thats bad too. remember this is P2P. u cant donwload if u dont share.
    if this is the case then doing this can increase your download speed a little.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  3. chink709

chink709 Member

Hm...put i had my firewall down the whole time. I am using a Window XP home and so i went to the control panel for the first time to see my firewall and the computer said i didn't even had it on the first time. red, you said i should tell my firewall to "forward" my ports to allow it to get more downloads, but how can i do that if i had my firewall down the whole time? thanks for the help people...

4. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

aight, are you talking about the firewall that comes built in with win XP? if you disbaled that, maybe you have another firewall runing. what type of connection do you have? maybe the modem that u have has NAT or something.
    i dont know anything about the firewall that comes with XP because i use windows ME. but heres a link that tells you how to configure that firewall that comes with XP:
    http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html
    (just scroll down a little bit till u get to the part about "windows XP firewall")

u can also try this NAT check:
    http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
    -type a port, like 6881, where instructed.
    (and if you wanna type in the hash id of the torrent do it, but you can leave it blank too.)
    See what results you get.

5. chink709

chink709 Member

Hey red...thanks a lot for your help but I tried both of the things that you suggested. But somehow after I forwarded the ports then went to your site, it just said that it failed. What is going on! Please someone help me

6. svntwosix

svntwosix Member

Okay I went to the Shields Up webpage and it says my ports are closed. I called my dsl internet company and to open the ports and they did that for me but the ports are still closed. My status for BitTornado is still running Yellow. I have a 2wire homeportal system can anyone help? I turned off my Windows XP firewall also.

7. cptmrgn

cptmrgn Member

Geetings oh wise ones in the ways of BitTorrent!! I seek your advice. I have had very slow download speeds for weeks now (.05-1.1kbs) with 596bs upload (notice that is bytes). I have tried litterally 20 different fixes and none have worked. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Here is what i have done so far.

1. Wiped HD. Formated. installed Windows XP SP/1 w/ no updates.
    2. Installed Virus protection and Azurues and Java. (nothing else)
    3. Bought brand new router (Belkin wireless F5D6231-4)
    4. Opened ports per portforward.com.
    5. www.grc.com shows 6881 open and others up to 6889 closed but not stealth.
    6. called suscom (isp) to verify ports open. all are opened except 6969. they will not open it.

Azurues shows port 6881...ok. and i get green smiley faces but speeds that really suck _less than 2k. FTP download is at 200k +. I did alot more configuring before i wiped the HD but since i started from scratch this should be working ...right? Thank You for your time!

8. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

svntwosix, if the shield up page states that the ports are "closed" then the ports are NOT being blocked, u should be getting a green light. if the page states that the ports are "stealthed" then they ARE being blocked. is ur dsl company bellsouth with a westell modem? try typing "launchmodem" (without quotes) on the address bar of an internet browser. that takes me to my modem settings maybe that works for u too.

cptmrgn, i would suggest LOWERING ur "max upload speed" a little bit, (this may help in the case that ur UL speed is too high compared to ur DL speed)to find this option go to View, Configuration, then click on Transfer. u can also INCREASE ur "max uploads" by 1 or 2, this ensures that u connect to more users. SAVE the configuration down at the bottom.
    ----remember the origianl settings so u can set them back in case this doens't work----

9. svntwosix

svntwosix Member

Thanks red for telling me that my ports are perfectly fine but I am still getting a yellow light on BitTornado. I am with SBC dsl. So now that I know it's not the ports fault, should I try Azereus?

10. vraptor

vraptor Member

Hi, I'm having some problems with my torrent downloads.
    I have ADSL and my ISP uses a router.
    About 4 months ago I forward my ports (6881-6889) and I began to download at 60-64 kb/s and it was great, but about a week ago i can't dl more than 10 kb/s.
    What happened?

I tried Shields up and the ports are closed. (the port 6888 appears closes but protocol/aplication says MUSE. What is muse??)

BTW I lowered my upload max speed without improvement.

Thanx.

11. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

I don't think we're supposed to be posting about bittorrent on here anymore, are we!?
    is the light (or the little round face) green?
    i don't know what MUSE is. i have that too. but i don't think it has anything to do with slow downloads and i don't think it's any threat either. I would recommend you to foward the ports up to 6999, some of the newest clients use those ports too, maybe that'll fix ur porb.

12. xkensterx

xkensterx Guest

hello can i get some help please ive been trying to download these inuyasha episodes for a long time 155 episodes (30 gigs) but ive tried everything except getting my ports to be "OPEN" or "CLOSED" they are ALL stealth but the problem is that i dont know how to get the ports to be opened or closed can anyone help me please!!! it would be of great help becuase most of the time its at 0kbs..or 1.1kbs..the highest it has been at was 20kbs but that was for about a second then it went all the way back down..PLEASE HELP ME

-Ken

13. xkensterx

xkensterx Guest

oh yeah by the way my Azureus shows that the download speed is yellow i dont know how to get it to be green...THANKS AGAIN

14. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

Forward ports 6881-6999 on your firewall. To do this u have to go to ur firewall settings. Your firewall is blocking those ports, forward them so you can connect to more users. The face will turn green and you'll get a lot faster downloads.

15. xkensterx

xkensterx Guest

the problem is i dont know how to access my firewall lol because this firewall was given to me by my cousin.

16. xkensterx

xkensterx Guest

how do i do that to my firewall is it through router or i can just do it on my computer...i think i got both firewalls on but i dont know how to access the router because my cousin didnt tell me what to do..when i seen him change settings on the router he would go to the internet explorer then type in the IP address...would there be any other way to access the router or would i have to ask him for the IP address

thanks alot

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2004
  17. xkensterx

xkensterx Guest

omg i meant that the router was given to me by my cousin

18. mark678

mark678 Member

hi. i am new to BitTorrent and i have poor download speeds (0-10 KiB/s) i used that one site listed above and it said i have a 3 megabit connection. i use the basic bittorrent app and i have 50% of a file downloaded and it took about 30 hours. my friend has a worse connection and he downloads a lot faster. I have a linksys router, norton personal firewall, windows firewall and the basic bittorrent client. can someone explain to me why my downloading sucks?

19. punx777

punx777 Regular member

i have dsl from frontier net is there anything i can do to make my torrents download faster? no router. no firewall unless something is already on my computer...

20. Boredstif

Boredstif Member

Hi, I have Abc for my bittorrent client. It's going like 30 kB/s but, i keep reading that peoples are going like 150 kb/s. I have sympatico high speed and it usually downloads at 150kB/s. I have a speadstream router. Can anyone help me?