1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do u make BitTorrent download faster? i have been searching the answer for days.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by mindy2004, Jun 12, 2004.

1. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

alright people this is it, this is the last time i'm gonna say this, i'm gonna try to be as clear as i possibly can to explain "how to make bittorrent downloads faster" since it's the name of the thread:

-The best way to get faster downloads on bittorrent is if you have your ports open. How do you know if you have your ports open? Well, if you're using Bit Tornado or Azureus, there's a light that tells you the status of the download (in Azureus it's a round face, a smiley or whatever). NOTE: if you're still using the basic bittorrent client, please download a better one, like azurues or bit tornado.
    -Anyway, if you have a yellow light, that means your ports are NOT open. If this is your case, then how do you open your ports? I don't know, it's different for every firewall. Do a little research of your own on a search engine like "google.com", type something like the name of your firewall and the word "ports" or "forward ports", whatever, there's bound to be a website that explains how to open the ports on your firewall.
    -when you open your ports and get a green light, ur done, there's really nothing else that can increase ur download speed as much as by opening ur ports, u can try tweaking the client settings, but that usually doesn't really help much.
    -so that's it, i know this isn't very helpful, but thats all i know. if there's is someone out there that has more knowledge then me on this, they probably not going to respond, at least i did.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  2. Chunyu

Chunyu Guest

I am currently a newbie at BitTonado, and i am downloading some huge files around the 3000 MB and i am really having a slow donwload rate...it takes me around the 500 and the 1000 hours to download!! And often there is nothing going on: "0 KiB/s" both the download and upload rate..

I am using a EDIMAX broadband router, i live in the netherlands, using a cable provider named Chello , (no data limits) and i have WIN 2000 PRo, with no firewall installed, i supose.

The speedtest
    Communications 782.5 kilobits per second
    Storage 95.5 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 10.7 seconds
    Subjective rating Good

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2004
  3. true_n00b

true_n00b Guest

hi, im using abc as my bittorrent client. my os is win 98 se and i also hav norton system works. i hav sbc dsl that goes at 1200kbs but abc dls at 0.2kbs and the text is yellow. i hav a firewall in my router which is a belkin wireless. all my ports show up as stealth, and i need help on turning off my firewall.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2004
  4. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

For people who wanna inscrease their bittorrent download speeds you may want to download BT Engine. It's a program that's supposed to do exactly that, increase the bitttorrent download speed. I tried it, but like everything else i've tried it didn't work for me.

5. JStraw

JStraw Member

Hey,
    I'm still a bit new at this but I have a question about ports. I have cable service in a house with several PC network. I was getting OK speeds after forwarding 6881-6889 on my router, but everyone else in my house was getting extremely slow browsing. I found a FAQ that showed me how to change my btdownloadgui settings to 6000-6100 (This range is perhaps too large and is making me nervous so I may cut this down soon) and then I updated the router's ports. My speeds are OK now (typically 20-60 with peaks of 200+) and everybody else browsing isn't as slow anymore.

My question is this; Do 2 BT clients have to be on the same port to create a connection? I know everyone seems to tell eachother to forward 6881-6889 (or 6999 for 3.2), but does this only because everybody else uses those or because its just the default. When I start connecting using 6000-6100 does that mean that everyone I'm connecting to is on a port in that range and I can't connect to everyone on 6881-6889? Did I happen to hit upon another popular port range or am I also connecting to the 6881-6889 guys?

My secondary question is: Is it possible to split the port range of the BT client. I know how to do this on my router and I'd rather not leave a large consecutive range of ports open there, but I want to be able to align the client to a more "random" set of ports for my own sanity even if it doesn't make much of a difference.

6. Chunyu

Chunyu Guest

peaks of 200 kb/s? OMG! mine was 32 or something. My average rate is about the 5 and 15 kb...i have cable too and no router now and the lights on bittornado are green...

7. JStraw

JStraw Member

Yes. 200+ is not uncommon if the torrent is very active. Generally if there are 20+ seeds and 100+ peers then someone at some point will connect to me at ~100kb/s alone. The more uploads you allow the more connections it seems you make and the greater chance to hit one of these big fish, and hopefully that guy has a big chunk that you ain't got!

8. BarFight

BarFight Guest

Hi, I'm using Bittorrent for Mac. Info says that the version is Bittorrent OS X, and my download speeds are alright, at about 30kibps, but I think that they should be faster. The uploads are almost always twice as fast, usually around 100 kibps. I have an ethernet connection that usually gets like a meg a second, and I've tried to run a program called Carrafix to limit the upload speed, but that didn't seem to help. What's wrong?

9. NyC_Venom

NyC_Venom Guest

yea i have the same problem plus i have dsl and i do have a firewall(dont know where it is) but when i went on another site it took my ip and it said passed also sayi ng shealth and i dont have a lock on my connection plus i have a router so plz

also i have xp on my laptop and nt on my desktop

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2004
  10. hongwon

hongwon Member

hi -- i've been looking through these pages, but most people are fixing things without firewalls -- i have norton security so i think probably everything IS firewalled, but i do'nt know where to go to change settings in order to allow for more ports (like people were doing 6881-6889?).
    also i'm kind of concerned because i want to make sure that i'm not opening up my computer to the world if i open more ports -- how do i both open ports to get faster downloads while keeping my computer safesafesafe?

thanks!

11. Shadow305

Shadow305 Member

redscorpi,

I forewarded the ports in my Westell modem, however, its still being read ad "CLOSED". Is there a way to actually have them read as "OPEN"? I know I disabled the firewall because my ports aren't being read as "STEALTH". Any ideas bout this. Thankx

12. Wicked101

Wicked101 Member

Hi,

I hope someone can help me, I´ve read through this whole 3 page forum now and I´ve tried everything but my downloads does not get any higher than 5kb, most of the time its about 1kb - 3kb. I´ve opened all my ports both ways from 6881 - 6999. I dont know how to change the upload speed either, I´m using BitTorrent v3.4.2 and I have DSL (T-Online Teledat 300 LAN) and I use a WLAN D-Link Dl-624+ Router cause my PC is upstairs. But even without my WLAN Router the download speed is the same and nothing I do seems to work. Could anyone please help me? Thanks

13. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

Ok, another trick I found that's supposed to increase your bittorrent download speed is to use a different port range. They recommend any range between 49152 and 65535 (NOTE: this is not the range itself. Im talking about any range BETWEEN those two numbers).
    Why does this work? I don't know here is what they said: "it is a common practice for ISPs to throttle those ports [6881-6999] (that is, limit the bandwidth, hence the speed)" I guess that makes sense. It doesn't matter which range you pick, they say the more random the better.
    Now im no expert but I recommend that for your own safety you choose a range that's not too large, maybe 5 units long. Don't quote me on this, but i don't think bittorrent uses the other ports in a range anyway, it only uses one most of the time.
    Also, you have to change the BT client's listening port. In Azureus it's on View-Configuration-Server.
    I can't really say if it has worked for me because i'm having problems forwarding a port that large. grrr. But, nevertheless, i think it works because i'm using ports from that range, and eventhough they are not forwarded yet, they go like 60-70kbs, can yall imagine if i had the ports forwarded, muhahahaha...

14. Shadow305

Shadow305 Member

Ok, i've done everything from what this thread told me to do:

Disables all Firewalls
    Open ports of my Westell modem by using NAT connfig
    ECT.

This did make my ports read as OPEN instead of STEALTH. HOWEVER, when I tried a different client, AZUREUS, Port 6881 finall OPENED! But thats the only one that opened. Any ideas on how I can get the rest of these damn ports open?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I'll be in the darkness,.......trying to fix my PS2[/small]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  15. ImL8

ImL8 Member

It is my understanding that each instance of a torrent you have running uses one port. Opening more then a few ports will not increase download speeds, but open those ports to the world to get in. If you are downloading torrents on different computers on the same network, then forward say five ports to one computer, make sure those are the ports the your client on that computer listens for, then forward five different ports to the other computer, and, as before, make sure your client is listening on those ports.
    There are several FAQ's out there that explain in step by step detail how to forward ports for bittorrent clients. If you are unsure of how to forward ports for your specific router, try a google search for port forwarding "model name of the router" (replace the text in quotes with the right information)
    I did find http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=1531 to be very informative with some great information. It answers many of the questions I have read in this forum. Most of the questions asked here can be answered if you just would take the time to read the FAQ's on the various sites that you downloaded your bittorent client (why would you install something that you don't know how to use anyways????)
    Torrents can and will saturate all of your bandwidth if you allow it. If your upload rate is too fast, your download rate will significantly drop. Part of the tcp/ip protocol is to send an acknowledgement, so your computer has to say hey, i got that from you and I'm ready for another. If you don't have any upload speed left, it has to wait in order to send that out.
    If you max out your bandwidth, it will effect every computer connected on your router. You only have so much comming into that router, so it will slow down all of your computers. Since many ISP's use shared bandwidth, you can even slow down the performance of the internet in your neighborhood, depending how your isp sets it up.
    I recommend people set their computers on a home network connected to a router to have a static ip. That does make port forwarding so much easier, and it avoids the chance the the dhcp server on your router does not give a different ip to your computer. This process can be very different depending on your router, some routers you have to have an address reservation for each computer you have a static ip, some routers you simply make the static ip outside of the addresses that you have set up in your router for dhcp. If you do not add/remove computers from your home network regularly, you can just turn off the dhcp server on your router and give all computers a static ip. To set that up is complicated, but can improve your home network speeds.

16. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

shadow305, you don't have to have all the ports in your range open. It only has to use one of them. Shield Up says that 6881 is OPEN because that's the one that the BT client (azureus, bittornado, whatever) is using.
    hey, since you have westell modem too, can you go to your NAT settings and forward a large port like 49999? I just wanna see if you get the same error message as I do, which is: "Your Base Host Port plus End Port in your range exceeds 65535".

17. Shadow305

Shadow305 Member

I was worried about that port, but now my dl speeds increased dramatically. Thank you guys so much for all the help.

Oh yea, Red, I got the exact same error message as you did with port 49999. Maybe theres some other way around it.

18. Wicked101

Wicked101 Member

Hey, guess what, my problem has been solved, this is great, I get speeds of around 80kb now. I tried everything in this forum, opening ports and the speed tests and so on, then I updated the firmware on my WLAN router and bang, bonus speeds. Thanks for all the help.

19. jroyale

jroyale Member

Okay, new problem...not related to speed. I'm on Rogers Cable with McAfee firewall shutdown and windows xp firewall off or allowing bittornado to run.(check beside it as an expeption) My problem is I'm green, and downloading and after about 30 minutes it freezes and stops downloading. I lose my connection but once I shut tornado down, I'm good to go again. Everything stays the same, it even changes how many seeds I'm connected to, and my download rate and upload rate freezes...my mb downloaded obviously doesn't change at this point. Does anybody have a clue what could be causing this...it's not a torrent downloading client issue as I've used both tornado and the bittorrent 3.2.1. Any ideas....it would be greatly appreciated.

20. redscorpi

redscorpi Regular member

download and upload rate freezes? hmm never had that happen to me before. Maybe it's your internet connection people. Or it could be some type of bittorrent malware; I heard there was something like that roaming around.