1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do u make BitTorrent download faster? i have been searching the answer for days.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by mindy2004, Jun 12, 2004.

1. punk82

punk82 Member

did the test there my average download/upload was 313/28 and my isp is sbcglobal.net

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

It seems as though you are getting inaccurate results from the speed tests.
    Those upload speeds are jumping all over the place.

What download speeds were you getting on torrents?
    The speed test result is in kilobits (kbs) and BitTorrent shows speeds in kilobytes (kBs).
    As 8kbs = 1kBs, that 313kbs = about 39kBs.

If you have a torrent that is actively seeding, it might be best to set BitTorrent's upload cap to unlimited and watch for 10 minutes and see where it settles in at.

I did not find anything on SBC being involved in bittorrent traffic shaping as of yet.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  3. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

Aye chinky you should try using a different client like uTorrent, you should have to put your firewall down and if you did just add your client as an exception. Are you you using the site to port foward or just check?

4. kilworthy

kilworthy Member

can somone help?????? i have had bittorrent for a week it was running fine but now i have downloaded panda the speed wont go past
    120kp/s i should be downloading at 715.55kp/s please help i think its to do with panda only letting a certin amount of download speed trough please help thanks

5. kilworthy

kilworthy Member

can somone help i have had bittorrent for a week now and im only downloading at 120kp/s when i should be downloading at 755.5kp/s
    i have just installed panda internet security if anyone knows please tell me thanks help help help help

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Don't know much about Panda now but just the AV was an incredible resource hog on my system. Have you set an exception in the firewall?

7. vikram316

vikram316 Member

i have a broadband connection..i use utorrent download speeds are very low..i dont know whether i have a router or not..please help

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If you don't know, you more than likely don't have a router unless your ISP gave you a modem/router combo. A router will have multiple connections for computers (uusally 4), the cable from the wall will connect to a small box (modem) with one computer connection in it. Check at Port Forward in case your modem has a firewall and needs forwarding: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Check ths list of ISP's that throttle torrrents, there are more that do too: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs Use a port over 10,000 and set utorrent as an exception in any firewall you use.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Forgot this, when you go to options>speed guide and do a port test, is it green?

10. punk82

punk82 Member

i have dsl with a router i use bittorrent. my firewall on my router and my computer have been setup to forward the port i use and on bittorrent the light is green but i still only download at around 30 or 40 kbps any way i can get it faster

11. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

punk82
    Have you taken a speed test and capped upload in BitTorrent at 80% of your connections's upload rate?
    Which version of BitTorrent are you using?

12. d4rkone

d4rkone Member

can anyone help me?

i just started using torrent recently and my downloads are going so slow.

any advice?
    i use a linksys wireless router if that matters.

13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

14. d4rkone

d4rkone Member

Thank you very much for the advice mistycat.

I really appreciate it.

15. jhan

jhan Member

I've done all the port forwarding... yes, it's done correctly.
    Yes, I've limited my upload to 80%.
    When I did the tweak that boosts the number the half-connections, my speeds jumped way up.

But they're still stuck at around 100k down, and I don't know why.

My down speed is around 11165kbps according to speakeasy.

Any thoughts?

16. mistycat

mistycat Active member

What port and client? Is UPnp disabled, does your client support Protocol Encryption (3 I know of do, Azureus, utorrent and BitComet), are you receivng a green port light or maybe need a static ip address? Your 11,165 kb is actually around 1350 kB, still off by quite a bit. If you use Cable, your speeds will fluctuate a fair bit but not that much. Here is a very accurate speedtest you can use to check whenever if you like: http://www.speedtest.net/

17. 68i

68i Guest

i have ethernet in my home and i want to download faster
    who i can do that

18. silver444

silver444 Member

i don't know if this will help anyone but if you want to see if it is a windows firewall port problem just shut it down and check your download speed. A good bittorrent manager is bittorrent 6.1.2 all you have to do to check for most problems is go to options, speed guide and its all right there. You can see your port, run a port check, a speed check and I found if you tell bittorrent your internet speed is faster then what it is you can download at a much higher rate also in windows firewall you can make a program exception start, program settings, windows firewall, add program, find your bittorent download program and last allow it to connect to all computers i have a 400kbps internet but am downloading at around 250kbps not braging just saying it worked for me oo ya the exception directions was on a computer using XP. hope this helps someone I know i had a heck of a time bringing my speed up good luck all.

19. rudie1977

rudie1977 Member

CAN SAM1 HELP ME TO OPEN MY PORT OF MY AZUREUS PLS

20. rudie1977

rudie1977 Member

MY DOWNLOAD, DOWNLOAD AT 682B/S KEN I MAKE IT FASTER