1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you label your DVD media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by drudo, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You can get a complete set of cartridges for the epson r200/r300 here http://private.abacus24-7.com/home.aspx? for $16.85 + $4.95 for shipping and they are every bit as good as the epson genuine cartridges. They're all I use.

2. alsie

alsie Guest

Mort81 - that site is not the easiest to use - what I found was 8,7,7,7,7,7 for making a kit for the 300 - am i doing something wrong. I take it that you have a 200 or 300. how long does your ink last?

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

4. alsie

alsie Guest

Mort81 - thanks-I couldn't find them,getting old I guess. Think I will phase out what media I have now (Ty's 4X & 8X) using Sharpies - I have to use minus discs so will look for the best price at superm or meritl for Verbs or Tys media white inkjet printable ones and switch over. Will get the 300 refurb for $99-$20 off= $79.And if that ink works for you it should work for me also. Have a friend with HP printer and he couldn't use aftermarket ink because it clogged his printer and I didn't want to fall into that trap. I like burning at 4X speed (get better quality burn). I use Shrink & Any DVD or Clone DVD2.Thanks for your input - it helped me make a decision.

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Mort81

Just out of curiosity here bro. I remembered you used TYs hub printables right? Once I run out of my Silver inkjet printables (I love these dearly though), I think I'm going to try them TYs hub inkjet printables and see how it looks.

So what's your inner diameter settings? Can the Epson Print CD/DVD software let you print as close to the hub as the hub printable discs?

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

alkohol,

I use verbatum datalifeplus dvd+r hub printables. The software will let you print clear to the hub. I set it as small as it will go for inner setting (20 mm) and they look great. I had some prodisc hub printables and I set the inner setting to 22 mm for them. It varys on the manufacturer of the disc but the software should work for all hub printable media. The verbs used the smallest inner setting of any media I've tried and they worked good with the software. I'm guessing the setting on the ty hub printables will be between 20 - 22 mm.

Correction: I tried some benq (daxon) hub printables and there was a small inner white ring around the hub where the inner setting wouldn't go small enough to cover all the printable surface. It was crap media anyway and the printable surface looked like it was stuck on to the disc like a label.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  7. alsie

alsie Guest

OK - both mort81 & alkohol I am thouroughly confused on media you are stating. Whats the difference with silver inkjet and white inkjet media? Does hub printable go all the way to the (hub)hole and other stay well before it like a memorex stick on label? In other words to go up to the (hub)hole buy???? and buy ?????? to stay away from the hub.Don't know if I can buy a 5 pack of each and try but I usually order 100 pack of Ty's or Verb's. On alk's Final Fantancy it stays well away from the hub and the same on his Fighting Spirit and seems like a silver not white background. If I download a cd cover from CD covers.xxx to use what would the best be -silver hub or white hub or just inkjet printable discs to use??

8. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

TY hub printable (white inkjet) scanned example...

22 mm inner, 119 outer

[​IMG]

9. gear79

gear79 Guest

as always, excellent looking disk alkohol !!
    my patience is wearing thin with my current non working printer, that epson is looking better and better by the day, i just wish that epson made an all in one printer with disk printing abilities.

10. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Excellent price on these Verbs from SMS ...

http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-16x-dvd-plus-r-media-95145-100-pack-cake-box.html?WT.mc_id=051025superemailserverdvdonly

There is a rebate involved and I don't think that they're hub orintable ... but an excellent price for excellent media ..

11. bucknaked

bucknaked Member

Hey everyone
    I used to use Ritek and I used to use labels and then I used to print directly on Ritek printable’s but discovered like many people Ritek were failing after a relatively short time. I remember Ritek was the people’s choice a few years ago now all you hear are horror stories.
    I found a list of the top grade A brands that I now stick to

Maxell
    TY
    Mitsubishi
    TDK
    Sony

After having to reburn quite a few movies I'm reluctant to print on the discs in case it affects them later on, which drives me crazy as my Epson 310 does a great job
    1. should I be worried or is using the better media, problem solved?
    2. Is burning on DVD+R just as good? (I just scored a 50 x spindle of TDK'S :))

I read somewhere that the DVDRW was the most stable of all DVD media.

Appreciate any input
    Cheers

12. catfreak

catfreak Active member

TDK is as bad as Memorex

~ do I hear crapola?

YES!

13. buckysabi

buckysabi Member

I am in the process of switching from paper labels to wanting printable discs and am looking for a good printer. Can someone provide a list of printers for direct to disc?

I have read this thread and see all of the good word about epson. Am I wasting my time to look any further?

Thanks.

Bucky

14. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Member

Bucky... I was doing paper labels for 3-4 yrs.. This weekend I purchased an Epson R300 from CompUSA ($150-$50 rebate) and I gotta tell ya..... It's GREAT!!!!!! I recommend it!!

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

circuit city and comp usa have great closeout deals on the epsons, you can get the 200 for bout 70 bucks after rebate. even go to the website, you can find a higher up refurbished model for less too...

16. buckysabi

buckysabi Member

I just ordered the Epson R200 from Staples. After tax it was $94.50 with free shipping. There is also a $20 mail in rebate. Total price of $75.

Look forward to no more labels.

thanks.

Bucky

17. clu05

clu05 Regular member

sharpies all the way. fo life.

18. sunnysgr8

sunnysgr8 Guest

Catfreak,
    I am new to this and have been useing memorex. What In your opinion is bad about them?
    I do not use my computer to burn but ILO DVD recorder and GO-DVD and have had good results with memorex DVD+R.
    Now my sister was able to play one DVD without problems, but another "skipped" on her. I don't know if it was the media or because i was copying VHS tapes. Would that make a difference? ( to anyone who knows the answer to that question)
    Thanks,
    sunny :)

addition:
    I have been using Sharpies as I have plenty in my line of work and am wondering if spending the money on an epson is worth it if I put at least three movies on a DVD and most of the label would be text?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sunny what makes memorex bad is cmc mag makes most there media which is just plain low grade product. you can read on the fourm all day and see all the problems people have with this media. all though SOME memorex will code out as ritek which is pretty good media but its a crap shoot getting them so i would stick with the better blank media out there which would be Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim or stuff that codes out as Taiyo Yuden (Sony and Fiji Film dvd+r 8x media)

also to remember to burn at a slower speed to help your problem 4x max.

20. dvd_craze

dvd_craze Regular member

@teflonmyk
    i recently purchased the epson r320 and i did my first print on my taiyo yuden's hub white printables. They printed out as if they were the non-hub ones and a very small section of the disk still shows some white even though i entered the setting you mentioned. So my question is where do i insert the settings? In the print cd software or some place else? I also get "error inner diameter is under 40 mm". Is that normal?thanks