1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you label your DVD media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by drudo, Sep 15, 2005.

1. dvd_craze

dvd_craze Regular member

nevermind got it working now woohoo!!!!!

2. puds1970

puds1970 Member

I use printable media with a Epson R800 doing a very fine job in printing on them, I would highly recommend this printer costly but a super performer.

3. buckysabi

buckysabi Member

I got my Epson R200 last week and just got my hub printables today.

Does it matter if I print before or after writing to the disc?

Thanks.

Bucky

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You need to print on the disc after your burn it. It is recommended that you let the ink dry for 24 hours on hub printable media prior to playing so the same would apply to burning.

5. dmk_911

dmk_911 Member

i've been using the stick on labels, no problem playing in my dvd player, but my mother wanted to borrow some of my movies and she had trouble with a couple of them in her dvd player, i decided to get the epson r200, for this reason and i don't want problems down the road if i get a different player, plus i like the way they look a whole lot better than those cheap lookin stickers

6. sunnysgr8

sunnysgr8 Guest

Thank you aabbccdd.
    I Appreciate all the help I can help I can get and thats why I joined the fourm.(sorry about the new thread ,Still new and feeling my way around things)
    Is there a differefnce between doing music DVD's or just regular movies? is so what and how do I overcome the dfficulties ?
    You guys are thr greatest!!

7. alsie

alsie Guest

Well got my R300 refurbished unitlast week and yesterday got my white inkjet hub TY printables (8X) and gave it a shot. Nice machine and it does a good job but will have to experiment a while for the best print. I did as Mort81 suggested and got some ink from Abacus. Have done a few covers using Matte HD paper and print came out awesome (made the mistake of using glossy paper which blotches under the plastic wrap.R300 purchased is actually the same price as the R200 if you count the rebate in when getting from Epson and free shipping (came FedEx in 2 days. The machine sounds solid and is extremely quiet when running and is a good looking unit also.Seems like a well built strong unit and by no means looks like a $79 machine. I am using the software that came with it and would like to know what print settings others use and any suggestions would be appreciated. Only drawback I worry about is that it could be a ink hog but using Mort81's ink source should make it affordable or keep it in reason. I have gone from Sharpies (and nothing wrong with this method at all) to stick ons to this - getting to be a lot of fun. Thanks for all the help guys.

8. buckysabi

buckysabi Member

I have been playing around with the print settings and have tried a couple of things to conserve ink. I am not certain if this actually helps, but it seems logical that it would.

After you have imported a picture, right click and select properties. I have clicked on the "whiten" box and also gone into image adjustment and changed the brightness setting to lighter. I did this for a cover that was almost all black.

The image printed out to be more grey (it did look a little washed out), but if you are not too picky I would think this would be saving some ink.

After further consideration, if I am such a dork (my wifes words) to buy a special printer and special media to print a cover to look good........well long story short, I want it to look like the real thing. If any adjustments are made they won't be drastic.

For the Verb printables, I set the inner to 20 and outer to 120.

Bucky

9. dvd_craze

dvd_craze Regular member

I have the epson r320 and I would like to know if the epson r300 ink cartridges from abacus private store would work on my r320 or do i need to stick to the r320 cartridges?thanks

10. alsie

alsie Guest

craze - do a search on abacus - looks like the same as I got for my 300 at $16.95 for a full set + shipping.I have not tried replacement set but Mort81 likes them and somewhere in this thread he orders a xtra black and something else when he gets his ink.
    doing a cut/paste from abacus I got this for you. (6 replacement set)

6 PACK - 1 Full Set - 1BK 1C 1M 1Y 1LC 1LM
    eR300VP6

$16.85

11. eric545

eric545 Regular member

drudo

You need two things. First: Purchase an Epson R300 Direct to CD/DVD printer. You can get one this week from CompUSA for $79.99 which is less than most have paid for their R200 printers. Check it out at:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=307127&pfp=srch1

Second: You need some really good 8X White InkJet Hub Printable DVD-R meida. You can get them at:

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allme...0-300-and-600-pack-in-cake-box-group-1666.htm

for about 25 cents each. Although they are listed as: High-Speed DVD-R (DVDR) 8X 4.7GB White Inkjet Hub Printable Blank DVD Media

DVD Identifier v4.2.0 identifies the discs as: Taiyo Yuden TY02 which when sold under the Taiyo Yuden brand name run about 65 cents each.

I have been using the High-Speed media for about 6 months and almost never create a coaster.

Eric

12. kevings

kevings Guest

hi guys,

im new around here,but wanted to chime in real quick. over the last week ive discovered dvd shrink, and decrypter. i also bought a epson r340 from costco for 189, and some printable media.

ive gotta say i have been having a great time making my own backups and then printing them. the epson printers are amazing.

i never though i would get into backing up dvds. i usually just purchased my dvd's from circuit city every tuesday. ( collection is at over 1400 and going strong :) )

also, fwiw, what i do is print the dvd here at home, but i save about 10 covers at a time for the cases onto a cd-r ( usually im getting these from cdcovers.cc ). i then go down to my kinkos and they print them on a nice xerox laser on high gloss paper for a 1.20 a piece. I know i could print these on the epson but i figure since the covers are much larger and more ink intensive, ill spare my epson's ink just for the dvd's.

anyhow, nice to meet all you guys. this is a great forum. and if anyone needs a hard to find cover send me a message and ill see if i have what your looking for in my collection.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
  13. christ93

christ93 Regular member

fine point Sharpie!

14. sunnysgr8

sunnysgr8 Guest

Double tipped fine point and extra fine.Two great pens in one.

15. newgene2

newgene2 Member

Since a bunch of folks are using the Epson printers, does anyone know if you can network them? It appears the printers do not have a cat5 input, but can you hook them up with a print server without any problems? I would really like to get the printer, but I don't really have a space to put it where it can be connected to the PC. However, I have space in the room by my wireless router. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

16. alsie

alsie Guest

alkohol - saugmom - or anyone that has printed on these disks. Maybe you can help me with the settings on my Photo R300 when I do my Ty silver inkjet disks - seeing they do not go up to the hub what inner and outer settings do you suggest. I have used the Ty white hub inkjet printables but have some silver inkjets printables coming in 3 days from supermedia and would like to know the correct settings. thanks for your help

17. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Paper labels are OK for CD-Rs, but paper expands and contracts as it absorbs and releases moisture. That change will alter the tilt of a DVD disc sooner or later; so paper labels are not recommended for DVDs. Since all DVDs have a dummy blank on the upper half of a disc, it makes little difference what kind of marker is used on the top. CD-Rs, however, only have lacquer covering the silver reflective layer; so it's better to use markers like Sharpies and use very little pressure writing on them to prevent damage to the silver and dye just below the lacquer.