1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you play backup discs on softmodded 4.2 u wii

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by jay10, Jan 9, 2010.

1. jay10

jay10 Member

please help. im new to softmodding wii 4.2u. what is needed and how do you use the apps to be able to play games from a disc loader like neo gamma. iam totally lost. my serial starts with lu1. anybody out there smarter than me, i could really use some help. thanks in advance.
    jay10

2. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Well assuming you correctly followed the guide then all you need to do is pop in a burned game and start neogamma. There should be a neogamma channel on the main menu.

If you're having a specific problem then try to explain it. With enough details we can usually troubleshoot whatever sort of issues you encounter.

3. jay10

jay10 Member

when i launch neo gamma it says disc read error on any game i try to play. its not the media i play them all the time on a 4.1 softmod. hope you guys can help. also what is all this talk about preloader and cioscorp what do they do. thanks
    jay10

4. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Neither preloader or cioscorp are necessary to play backup games. Need a little more info to help you out.

Did you follow the entire guide without skipping any steps?

Is the 4.2 wii new? Some new consoles have a new drive that cannot read burned disks. If you have one of those wiis then your only option is to use a USB loader to run games from a USB drive or the SD card.

5. jay10

jay10 Member

what about uloader iuse that on my 4.1 to play rockband but i play it with the disc. could i do the same to the 4.2. uloader has an option to use the dvd and not the usb port. thanks jay10

6. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

I haven't actually encountered any of the new wii drives yet, so all I can tell you is what I've heard about them.

As I understand, these new drives cannot read burned disks. What programs you try to use don't matter because it is something in the hardware that is preventing it.

And the configurable USB loader is recommended over uloader. It has more features and better compatibility.

7. jay10

jay10 Member

this might be a dumb question but with configurable usb loader do you put game on usb drive then onto hard drive of wii or do you need to buy like a 16 gig usb loader and then after a while buy more usb drives

8. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

With USB loaders you put the games onto any old USB flash or hard drive and then play them directly from there. You don't move them onto the wii's hard drive because... well the wii doesn't have a hard drive.

You can take games on and off the external drive whenever you want by just dragging them on and off with your PC.

I have a 60gig external drive that currently has about 25 games on it, with room for a couple more.

9. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

I just recently softmodded my wii u. I formatted my usb flash drive to fat32, I downloaded wii64 and copied the apps folder and wii64 folder to the flash drive. I downloaded the roms and put them in the roms folder. Then when I put the flash drive in the wii u and go to the homebrew channel the wii64 is there but will not open the roms, I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Please help? Do I need to use usb loader?

10. xbox09

xbox09 Member

all current wii's can no longer read burnt discs.
    you would need to softmod your system.