how long till our government cracks down on our hobby of dvd burning?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by THEZAMMAN, Apr 17, 2004.

1. THEZAMMAN

THEZAMMAN Member

anyone know how serious this issue can get like what happened with the music industry? isnt this worse by decrypting movies then copying them? and how about these sites with free serial #'s for programs that you should pay for? is it dangerous to use?

dont get me wrong im burning away and using free software but im wondering how long till they crack down on this? how vulnerable are we?

anyone know???

2. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

as of burning dvd's not much they can do...i mean they can shut down dvd x copy. but for the most part there always will be programs to burn them...and any making backups of dvd is legal

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I went to one out of curiosity and my antivirus went beserk. I'm not curious anymore.

The media industry will [bold]never[/bold] quit trying to take away our fair use rights. Take that as a given - they've been trying for decades.

They seem to think their products are a necessity like food but the reality is it's a luxury item bought with disposable income. If they go the way of the record industry, more and more people will get sick of their crap and spend their money elsewhere.

I've been buying used CDs since high school (I'm 32) and have been getting into indie music in a big way. I have no need for overpriced junk from people that sue their customers.

aXidburn is right on as well, they won't be able to stop the dissemination of freeware and I doubt a jury would believe some fatcat lawyer trying to tell them that someone protecting their paid-for DVDs is a criminal.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  4. Xian

Xian Regular member

I heard the same arguments in 1994 when I got my first cd burner. Just because a technology can be used to duplicate copyrighted material doesn't mean that it should be banned when there are many legitimate uses for it.

For example, my parents do not own a computer. Since they do not have a computer they can't view the pictures I take of my kids with my digital camera. I use Ulead DVD Picture Show and create a slideshow on DVDR where they can view the pictures of their grandchildren with their DVD player.

5. gotisos

gotisos Guest

I think the (US) government has other things to worry about, there pockets are not affected by the "fare" use of intellectual property. They won't start caring until companies start lobbying more for a stop to the piracy in the us, they tend to care more about foreign countries using and selling backups because they use nothing but illegitmate software.

6. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

Actually, the recording and movie industries are lobbying the American congress HARD, to get tougher penalties, and easier access to users. In fact some Senators like Orrin Hatch of Utah, favor the development of "Search and Destroy" software, wich is supposed to do what i sounds like, find your PC, and delete your HD. However, i do have an interesting story about senator Hatch and i recommend you visit the link.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,59305,00.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Kids, you tried, and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try"[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2004
  7. THEZAMMAN

THEZAMMAN Member

figures, he's a republican! what is up with these guys more interested in censoring radio programs and topics like this instead of getting important things done like our economy and foreign policies! our country needs a desperate change!

8. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Not to try to turn this into a politcal debate, but wasn't Clinton who signed the DMCA into law and isn't he a democrat? Just curious.

9. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

Both republicans and the democrats are in with the recording industries, it makes no difference who's in power (on that issue).

10. THEZAMMAN

THEZAMMAN Member

damn politicans! now they are trying to outlaw dvd players in cars especially on the front dash! :(

11. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

uh... why? :)

12. THEZAMMAN

THEZAMMAN Member

accidents duh! :)

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

DVD Player In The Dash - for those who just don't feel wreckless enough reading newspapers or doing makeup while driving!

14. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

I'd rather have a PS2 in the dash, that way, i can play Midnight Club: Street Racing, and confuse the game screen with the actual road ahead.