How to backup games continued!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by akspud93, Sep 12, 2005.

1. akspud93

akspud93 Regular member

Hey got another question bout backing up my xbox games. I already tried backing up an xbox game demo disk I had on a DVD-R and it worked fine! :) Anyways this demo was only like 3.5 GB so it fit fine on a DVD-R but what about backing up bigger games like bogger than 4.7 GB which is the max size on a regular DVD. I got a dual layer disk drive and burned a DVD-R using the same xiso as the demo disk and it worked fine so i know that using this disk drive would burn games properly. But unfortunalty when i burned a DL disk the same way it didn't read in my box. It is a 1.0 with a Thompson DVD-ROM drive. I've heard that when actually producing xbox games companies actually use DVD-R9 disks which hold something like 6.7 GB or something like that and those apparantly will read but i have no idea where to find them as the dumb guys at best buy and comp usa have no idea what I am doing or talking bout. Wondering how u guys back up games bigger than 4.7GB???!!!!

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Well, if you have a DL DVD Burner you could use that. Other than that, there's only cutting out videos/Xbox Live files. Cutting out videos doesn't work all the time though. For example, Metal Gear Solid 2 can't be backed up on a regular dvd disc.

3. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I'll have to disagree with you there....I have posted a tool on many sites that will allow you to split metal gear solid 2 onto 2 dvd's. One for the game and the other for the VR missions. Mind you it isn't on ONE disk....but it can be backed up to disk. So far the only ones I've had trouble with are bards tale and the guy game....I know you can cut down the guy game,but if it means taking out the videos..[bold]it's not worth it[/bold].

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  4. akspud93

akspud93 Regular member

No see I think u are misunderstanding me i have a DL-DVD external DVD burner and It can burn DL-DVD but my xbox cannot read DL. like i said it is a V.1 with a xcuter3 chip and a Thompson DVD-ROM drive. But It can read regualr DVD-Rs and I have in fact burned a test of an xbox demo that was only like 3 Gb onto one using my new Disk drive and it worked but my DL's when doing the same thing don't so i was wondering if there was a higher capacty than 4.7Gb disk that an xbox can read?? From what i have heard the actaul xbox game disks are R-9 or DVD-R9 or something like that but no major retail store carries them as it is in very low demand and is not used often by the public. I just need some one to set things straight here. Also lets say that i don't want to cut files out of the disk (well maybe XBL files) but to keep matters easy lets just say an exact copy onto a burned disk and the game happens to be bigger than 4.7Gb which is actually bigger than most of the games I have.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  5. zarthis

zarthis Member

Im not sure but you might have to find a patch for certain games to burn them on a DL disk or you might have to tweak you xbox dvd drive to read more media. Also the xbox is really picky in what media itll except or atleast in my expirence so you might wanna look into getting other brands of media.

6. akspud93

akspud93 Regular member

Ya see this is the problem there are VERY FEW kinnds of DL DVD's ....and in fact it is likley
    none of them will work because my actual drive cannot read them....becaues of the
    laser.....I may be wrong and in fact there could be an app to make it read DL but i think
    not.....As for other options the only thing I can think of is to install a new drive that can
    read DL disks and then format it with my chip......not only is this time consuming but
    EXPENSIVE and I'm probably not going to do it. I guess my next question is what do u
    guys do when burning games that cannot fit on a 4.7GB on a DVD-R or DVD-RW??? other
    than crop out un nessicary files for it to fit?? Im trying to make this possible without
    buying new hardware in my box. Also does anyone know what are the actual disks that
    xbox games are on......if possible how can I get some to burn with the DL disk drive
    because I nknow for a fact that they use DL drives and big high tech duplicators but
    ultimatly my Drive will be able to burn them so i kinda need to figure out how to get my
    hands on some!!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  7. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

DualLayer burning is new and the discs are expensive but by default all dvdrom drives can read DL. What do you think dvd movies and original games are put on? They are all dual layer discs and all drives should read them. I'm thinking that the problems with DL is 1. that burning software isn't optimized 2. User error in fimiliarity with the burning options 3. Media is realitively new and isn't fullproof.
    Most xbox games are not bigger than 4.7 GB and if they are then usually there are things you can delete(without effecting the game) to get them to fit. You would be better off investing in a larger hdd and placing the few large games out there on it instead of making a bunch of DL coasters.

8. akspud93

akspud93 Regular member

Well see here is the thing I burned the exact same iso file to a DVD-R and it worked fine
    but when burning DL using toast 6 rather than a DVD-R (mind u toast is prob. the best
    burning programs for macs) I selected the external DL drive. And then mounted the iso as
    an image the SAME exact way as the one for the DVD-R which is why it seems weird that it
    didn't work. The only difference that there was, is the drive and the disk....and the drive is
    compatiable and the disk is too.....sooo i can try it again but likley the same thing will
    happen. Also I called microsoft because I was "having trouble with dirty disk errors and
    needed to know what kind of disks were standard for xbox games so i could clean the disk
    accordingly" Basically i just wanted them to tell me what kind of disk it was standard for
    xbox disks and i would buy those to burn....but what do u know they gave me a BS answer
    saying they are special disks only made by microsoft which os obviousally a lie cus they
    have my serial # redflagged for being banned from live so they don't tell me s*** anymore.
    So i'm just gunna have to try and use another game to back up to a DL disk and see if that
    works. Also another little side note I noticed that on my copy of SC CT it said 512141-
    DVD hummm not sure if this is a clue to the type of DVD or what or if its jus a standard
    DVD-R

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005