1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to backup WII GAMES.(guide)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by bunny_c, Feb 21, 2007.

1. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Kraproom
    No multi posting - stick w/ the thread you started on this.

2. Kraproom

Kraproom Member

Binkie,

sorry man, after I had posted this, I had the great idea of started a new thread. but I will keep it in mind for future concerns.

3. brightspk

brightspk Guest

hexxxxxx,

Can you tell us the drive you've tested that have failed as well as worked?

I've just tried the BDV316G, dumps 100% but doesn't work in a modded wii.

4. kenbot

kenbot Member

Hi All,
    long time reader, first time poster here! ;-)
    ps - be kind on the technicalities of posting to me, I'm sure I won't mean it!

Firstly, I need some more info on the drives (especially people who know a good CHEAP option in Australia (Sydney).

Yeah so.. to hexxxxxx & others,
    I agree with brightspk, & I bet there are many others out there that want to know your findings of the drives you've tested. And if there's any truth to some of the others' claims of drives? Such as: sammizon's claim of 'BENQ/DVD DD DW1620/B7W9' (tested on wii yet?) etc.

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE?!
    has anyone out there tried the different types of backing up? compared them which is the best? I'm currently trying to decide between:

1. DVD-ROM - installed in PC, backup direct to PC, buying a drive (if I can find a decent 1 in Australia).

2. SD-GECKO - using modded gamecube memory card (SD Gecko etc.) that uses a standard sd card. The wii game is read by the wii console & dumped in parts (as big as your SD card can hold) & then going back & forth between the wii console & PC to dump the parts & then re-join them. So like 2.5 trips with a 2GB card I'm told. SD-GECKO setup also good for homebrew & backup gamecube games, ROM's etc. Also use SD-GECKO & SD card combo for gamecube game saves etc.

3. USB-GECKO (new) - same setup as the SD-GECKO (GC mem card etc.), but instead of having the SD card at back of gecko, there is a mini-USB port where you connect the wii directly to your pc (update coming for Linux & Mac). Gets done in 1 go similar to DVD-ROM method. Only downside is that the wii has to be within USB cable distance of your PC. The company is also apparently working on a way of making this setup work without a chip installed.

So, sorry it's a bit long, but I (along with many, many others I'm sure) would love for someone/s to review/test/whatever these 3 methods & give decent feedback on which one/s are best & why. Many will appreciate!

Cheers,
    kenbot

5. brightspk

brightspk Guest

FriiDump is truly amazing.... !

The BDV316'G' still dumps whist the drive door is open, with no disc in.
    as long as you start the operation with a disc in.....

I do think we'll get alot of red-hearings from FriiDump...

The BENQ drive looks as promising as other's, but that's a long dump time...

Think the best bet if for people to dump wiiSport's and exchange image hashes to confirm 'success'

Anyone who tests a drive that fails, please let us know, i've bought so many.. it would stop us all repeating the same mistakes and allows us to combine the effort...

I know of several drives that a re-badges of the BTC BDV316 drives... if this drive really works then maybe other models/brands come into play...

I'd love to get my hands on one, simply for testing purposes... and to compare with the bdv316'g'

6. brightspk

brightspk Guest

Couple of other drives that don't work with either RAWDUMP or FriiDump

SR-8586-C/3G15
    BDV316C/C007

7. thehopper

thehopper Member

Hey nani3004...ive read ALL 90-odd pages of this forum, and let me tell you, nothing works better than the LG GDR-8162B / Rawdump / ImageBurn / Verbatim DVD-R package..PERIOD! From what i understand the 8162 reads the wii disc at a faster rate than the other LG roms.I've read up a lot on this issue, and thats the combination i chose, but thats my choice..Ive backed-up over 25 games in 1 month since receiving my LG rom ( $60 on eBay ) and only had ONE error..Thats it, and that was one of the FIRST backups i tried! You might think $60 is a pretty penny for a basic LG dvd-rom, but for sheer ease of use with the software,i havent read of any issues with these drives.If worst comes to worse you guys, just buy the LG dvd-rom, and stick it in an external enclosure to run with your lap-top or whatever, if it isnt viable to swap/add the rom to your existing set-up. Too easy!!
    If your in OZ nani3004, try this site for mods....
    www.micksxboxmods.com
    his work is LIFETIME guaranteed!!
    Cheers

8. brightspk

brightspk Guest

sammizon

If you want see if the dump has worked, here is a quick check...
    dump wiiSports, let it get to 1%, abort the dump....

Open the file in notepad, what do you get ?
    In the first few lines, you'll get the title of the disc...
    with FriiDump, as a bad image, you often get nothing....

Let us all know how you get on...

Have you checked if your drive has any firmware with riplock removed... ? might help with speed... but if the drive works you might not want to risk it... ;-)

9. grubbie

grubbie Member

I used to post on PSXSCENE about DVD drives for Wii backups before it died. I have a lot of experience with these HLDS/LG drives being a seller of them myself and would have easily had between 100 and 200 of these drives pass through my hands. I thought I would just add my opinions to the thread for those that might be interested.

Of the 4 most popular drives my preference would be:

1. GDR-8161B
    2. GDR-8162B
    3. GDR-8164B
    4. GDR-8163B

Contrary to popular belief, in my own tests the 8161 is actually slightly faster than the 8162. The 8161 (FW:0043) was 2m:57s faster than the 8162 (FW:0018) at dumping WII SPORTS on my system (direct IDE connection).

Also, every single 8161 I've had has recognised Wii discs without a problem whereas I have had quite a few 8162's that will read normal CD/DVD's fine but will NOT recognise the Wii discs. I have not figured out why this is as yet but this is the main reason I favour the 8161.

Regarding the prices that these drives are being sold for - when you think that it is about the same (or less) than the cost of one new release game then the drive will pay for itself almost immediately and in my opinion is much more convenient than the other backup methods available. Obviously I am slightly biased here but even if I didn't sell them I would still buy one.

I've also got a big list of DVD drives that don't dump Wii discs which I will post sometime for the record.

Anyway, just my opinions....

10. brightspk

brightspk Guest

grubbie

I to used to post on psxscene, such a shame about the message base.

We'd all be very interested in the list of drives that you've already tried.

Afterdawn does have another forum, specifically about drive that support rawdump.....

I'd agree fully about the 8161 being faster.... the 8164 does seam more reliable though, some of the 8161's / 8162 seam very old...

11. Key4Wii

Key4Wii Member

Whats up with that Super Smash Bros. Brawl I can't Dump it with both RawDump 2.0 (Falty Drive Error) or FriiDump 0.3.0 Get up to 90% then Close Error.

12. Key4Wii

Key4Wii Member

I got it all by myself. It was just old software.

13. Key4Wii

Key4Wii Member

Yes, Once again i didn't need your guys dumb help. Like on page 48. LOL!

14. hexxxxxx

hexxxxxx Guest

Yes of course......

15. hexxxxxx

hexxxxxx Guest

Guess what all I have been away but as you noticed I stopped posting for little it is because Im coding a setup program that will brake the stupid firmware problem so you can flash your drive and force it to thinks its another drive alongs its a lg or so matching name and force a firmware that makes drive work with wii games in return opening a wide area for games to be backup much easyer this will force reprogram of firmware make it a old dribve but maybe brand new.
    Problem is if its lightscribe it will no longer work this way but in return will backup game disk of many many types with less problems.

:) Good day this will be posted when done. I would like a few donations as this has and is tasking many work hours from me to finish this and get on with my life as this has and will be the bigest brake through look out here comes HEXXXXXX the newest and will be one of the best wii coders :) .
    SOON GUYS - GIVE ME TIME SOON.......

16. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@hexxxxxx
    Do NOT solicit for donations here.
    Get your own website and solicit for them there. And yes advertising your website here for free isn't be allowed either.

17. buckduck7

buckduck7 Guest

scam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  18. buckduck7

buckduck7 Guest

scam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  19. tsoutsoul

tsoutsoul Member

could you plz tell me why my pc dvd doesn't read wii backup discs?

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  20. Dman125

Dman125 Member

Only a handfull of DVDRoms will read Wii discs, chances are you dont have the right one.