1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to backup WII GAMES.(guide)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by bunny_c, Feb 21, 2007.

1. mcapache

mcapache Member

Ok, I bought and installed an HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4083B and updated the firmware to 1.19 as recommended by hexxxxx. I downloaded rawdump 2.0 and WinRAR. In Rawdump after I click "start dump" I get the initial message of "Wii disc detected", but when the program is searching for "getting DVD name", I get the following message: "Error!! You might have a faulty drive!!" Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm running Windows XP. Thanks for any help.

2. kenbot

kenbot Member

@ mcapache,

ok, the drive seems to be the same, but he mentions updating to firmware 1.15, and the other main thing (I bet is the problem) is that he uses "FriiDump 0.4.0", not rawdump. Rawdump seems to be known to only accept GDR-8161b/2b/3b/4b, while FriiDump seems to be accepting a few more random drives.

Good luck, & please post us your results & method/s, esp. if it works! I have just acquired a "GWA-4164b" and haven't been able to install & test yet, so would love to find out how you go! ;-)

@ hexxxxxx,
    any findings/info on the "GWA-4164b" yet? The drive seems to be on firmware: "1.01", and the only other firmware out there on the net seems to be "1.05". Any info on this drive would be helpful. Also, I am happy to help try out any modded firmware etc. or other ideas you may have in the works (especially if you have instrustions to get me back to old firmware if it fails.) ;-)

also, @ tsoutsoul, please read the start of the thread/guide and as much as you can first. The main answers are there! & it would help if you told people what your computer setup is, we use computers, not crystal balls!

Thank you to all,

3. me1928

me1928 Guest

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    ok this is an easy question: Will my DVD-R disks work for burning games on and if so what speed should I do it at or any other settings changes?

I did it regular like I would a DVD+-R but it burned like 800 kb only.
    /
    /
    /

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  4. mcapache

mcapache Member

I downloaded Friidump, but when I open the program and then click on the .exe file, nothing happens. Am I missing something?

5. brightspk

brightspk Guest

You need to run in via command line...

e.g. friidump -d f: -a

f: being the letter of your drive....

The iso is created in the directory friidump is in

6. me1928

me1928 Guest

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    ok this is an easy question: Will my DVD-R disks work for burning games on and if so what speed should I do it at or any other settings changes?

I did it regular like I would a DVD+-R but it burned like 800 kb only.
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

7. Dman125

Dman125 Member

First stop with all the "///"
    Second try reading the guide posted on page 1

8. nannygege

nannygege Member

Just in case your trying it, and its not working, you may want to switch to Sony DVD-R's, I read somewhere these were the best to record on, and for me, that is absolutely true. I used a Sony DVD+R and it didn't read.

9. QuickLrn

QuickLrn Member

I have same "faulty Drive Error" as well. I have a DGR8161B that I've updated the firmware to 102 but still get same error. Been googling for the latest firmware on this drive but nothing telling me that there's not a later firmware. Does anyone have GDR8161B running firmware 102 that have dumped SSBB? If so, are you using Rawdump 2.0? Thanks for the quick response everyone.

pdq12345

10. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Hello,
    How many ways can you dump a Wii game, what is the newest prog what is the oldest. I've heard of WiiDump, FriiDump, RawDump, WiiKey memorycard adapter dump (only for wiikey modchip?) Then there was one that dumps to SD card without LG drive? Also what is the best place to get Wii dumpers, emu and stuff? Normally i would search for some info, but i spend the whole day getting my LG Drive to read disk by tweaking the laser and had to figure out how to change a hacked XBOX firmware flash from 8163B to original 8163B fw and im tired. Finding LG firmwares were a pain in the a** when LG removes their fw.
    thanks

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  11. driller66

driller66 Member

removed

driller66

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  12. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

driller66 - post that at aD's marketplace - link.

Please read the rules first for Marketplace.

13. zoner88

zoner88 Guest

Just a quick note, in case nobody mentioned this (there are 91 pages of this post!). HP used a lot of LG drives in their systems and I think still do. I don't remember of the claimed compatible SATA drive, but I haven't had any luck with it either. I pulled a GDR-8162 from an HP D530 or dc5000, I believe. Pulled a GDR-8163 from a dc7100 and an 8146 from a dc7600. So if you're shop is an HP shop and you work in IT - swap the drive! :)

I'm currently running the 8162 as it seems to have the fastest rip rate. Most games are a shy under 2 hours each. Oh, and the drives will be rebranded HP, but they will be HP GDR-8162B, etc. which is essentially LG.

14. thehopper

thehopper Member

Geesuz you people...why are you buggerizing around with drives that "may" or may not work?? As ive said before, use the 8161/8162/8163/8164 drives ..FRIKEN period!! Use RAWDUMP.....IMGBURN....and Verbatim DVD-R discs...you will never have a problem....put the rom drive in an external enclosure if you have to..for gods sake save yourselves the bloody headaches!! At 2hrs or less, you'll have a perfect copy for your modded Wii...I have done just on 40 copies of Wii games now ( thanks Video Ezy ).. and ALL of them work!! So what if the drive costs you $70 bucks on eBay?? Dont be such tight-arses!! You only have to copy TWO games and you're in front!! Simple!

15. 1234aaron

1234aaron Regular member

Hey im curios here, why cant we burn wii games with just a plain DVD burner, whats so diffrent to the factory burners? or is it the discs they use?
    aaron :)

16. Dman125

Dman125 Member

You can BURN Wii games with any ol' DVD burner, you just cant "Rip" the game with any DVD drive. There is nothing special about the disc's themself (except that it contains a Wii game, and Wii games are awsome). Its the information thats on the disc, and how it is stored, it takes a special laser to read the information.

17. cambochan

cambochan Guest

hey, i was reading up on your response about burning the games and it doesnt seem to be working for me. I downloaded mario galaxy, its iso and everything checks out but when i would go to burn it using my sony burner it doesnt seem to work, now is it b/c of my burner or the iso file. please help, my wii is modded and everything, i have one burn mario kart game works fine, i burn a copy of that on a Dynex DVD-R, but that didn't work please help me.

18. thehopper

thehopper Member

hey cambochan...i would try a more reliable media like Verbatim or TDK "Gold" DVD-Rs..ive even burnt backups with Ritek G0-5s and they seem to work just fine.In reference to media, you get what you pay for... you CAN burn your backups onto, say, a Princo disc, but the life of that disc will be limited because of the quality of disc itself, as theyre not a very robust disc, and tend to scratch and "go off" after a while.For more detailed info,backtrack through this thread on Media info.
    Cheers.

19. Dman125

Dman125 Member

I would also ask if you have patch 1.9g or 1.9s?
    Also is the game the same region?
    Did you BrickBlock and/or wiigion free?

20. cambochan

cambochan Guest

hey thehopper, yeah i actually work for bestbuy so i decided like today i was going to buy verbatum, so bought like 50 pack for 12 bucks, so tried it and works just fine now, thank you for he advice. I would like to have the LG dvd rom drive so i could back up my games but everything seem so expensive.