1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To BackUP Your Store Bought DVDs ,New Releases ,Older Titles Etc.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ZoSoIV, Feb 1, 2008.

1. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I have seen it mentioned severeal times, that Recode does not have the Advance Analysis quality setting, in different forums, so I don't know if is something that older versions of Nero Recode did not have. I've been using it for some time now, and I always remember this setting.Nero Recode does have the Advance Analysis option for higher compressions.
    I have seen in many threads(especially in those silly, pointless ones like "Help me, Nero does not autoburn when I use DVD Shrink"!!!). Tons of people have Nero and have no ideea on how to use it, they just use it to burn music and maybe convert an Avi to DVD using Nero Vision(which we all know what a pain in the arse can be, and even to this day they did not figure out how to make it handle subtitles on its own!).
    Nero Recode works excellent, DVDFab HD Decrypter and Recode is all I use. Nero Recode is actually I think the only application worth purchasing from the entire bloated Nero package. I use Recode to convert my videos/movies for phone format, mpeg4 for standalone DVD players, backup my DVDs. Although we're talking about a Nero application, I can actually give Recode a 5 star rating out of 5!

[​IMG]

Edit: I am using Nero 7.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. Amanita54

Amanita54 Member

Thanks for the info cyprusrom. I'm using Nero6. I've just been reading various Recode2 articles and they all show it to have Advanced Analysis checkbox in the Burn page. If so you can bet I'll use the 2-pass option. Any idea what "High quality mode (slow recording)" is about? I wonder how it differs from "Advanced Analysis" 2-pass in terms of quality. I guess I'll have to read the Recode .pdf and see if they explain.

If you have been using DVDFab HD Decrypter and Recode with good success, have you thought about writing a quick tutorial on the process? I haven't found one here written for these two apps used together. (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I haven't found it yet if it does.)

Have fun.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

There isn't really much to write about it, everything is already done. The process is exactly the same as if one would use DVD Shrink, just the interface is different. Same features, main movie, re-author, full dvd...

4. Amanita54

Amanita54 Member

cyprusrom,

"The process is exactly the same..."

True.

I've read the .pdf and the "High quality mode (slow recording)" option is described thusly:

"7. The files are recoded after analysing the original material. If the check box is activated, the recording is done in 'High-quality mode', which improves the quality, but takes more time."

A rather obscure description, but I take it to mean that the program is doing error checking against the original source. The .pdf shows both buttons checked. I guess it can't hurt to recode in 2 passes with error checking turned on.

Thanks for the help.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I use the "Slow Recoding" very seldom(for example "The Transformers", movie only and still required high compression). Other than that, I use the "Advanced Analysis". I cut the studio intro logo at the bebining of the movie and the credits at the end(sometimes adds up to a couple hundread MB).

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good info cyprusrom i don't use recode 2 much and forget it had a Advance Analysis setting i will remember that now.

and Amanita54 if you want really good quality you have the option to use DVD Rebuilder , its an encoder vs a transcoder but it does takes longer

7. Amanita54

Amanita54 Member

Thanks ZoSoIV, but I think I'd better stick with conventional copying for a while. Maybe in a while, but so far I'm relatively happy with the results (see the following).

Success. Just letting you know that DVDFab - Recode worked for me.

The first project:
    1) DVDFab --> HDD taking only "Main Movie"
    2) Didn't use FixVTS
    3) Recode2 --> DVD using "Advanced analyses" 2-pass.
    Funny thing is, I missed the Burn Speed setting and burned at Recode's default which was "Maximum". Recode used 20X with a Samsung 20X burner and TY 16X +R media. Watching this I thought - "Well, first try, first coaster", but the thing plays great in a Sylvania stand-alone.
    Recode also automatically set booktype to DVD-ROM.
    Recopied at 8X and I can see no difference.

The second project (different movie):
    Same settings only I made sure to stay at 8X. This one I played around with cutting the intro to the start of the actual movie and the credits to after the actors/characters. That reduced compression by about 3%. Good results I think.

The third project (different movie - The Silence of the Lambs):
    Same settings. On this one there is a slight but noticeable degradation in image quality on the copy. The image is darker and there is less detail contained. Still not bad.

All played with no problems on a Sylvania stand-alone. This is essentially the sequence that cyprusrom related, so for those with Nero6 (or Nero7 via cyprusrom) all you need is the Recode2 package and then install just one extra piece of software - DVDFab and you're all set. It worked for a total newbie like me.

Thanks guys.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

great glad everything worked out for you Amanita54

you won't as far as picture quality as long as it plays back ok BUT if you would to do a quality scan in nero 8x vs 20x you should get a much better scan with the 8x burn compared to the 20x burn give it a try and see

9. Mahra

Mahra Member

Hi!

Every time I try to back up my DVD-R copies I receive a message that there is no VOB file: VTS 01*. VOB. VOB SET 8 10 227905622792112279154TCE. I use CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD with no result.
    I can easely watch the movies but I can not copy them although the copy protection has been removed by some other person.
    I am a beginner and would like to know if there is any solution to this problem.

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

so there probably downloaded movie files? which could be MPEG-4/DivX/XVID/AVI/MP4 files that aren't compatible with clonedvd.

have you tryed just using a disc copier like nero or imgburn etc.?

11. Mar000

Mar000 Member

i use AntDVD (latest version) to rip to hd then shink then imageburn works grat

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

let me correct that for you

I use anydvd (latest version) to rip to the HDD then dvd shrink then imgburn works great.

is that better ^^^^ lol

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Zo, I have to admit, that was good, I was having a cup of coffee when I read your reply I almost choked.

14. Mahra

Mahra Member

I tried Nero I still receive the message: could not read the disc. Could not read VTS 01 0.BUP file and that the files in the catalog are damaged

15. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Thanks for translating Zoso!

Lol.

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

then you're out of luck the DVDs you have will have to be re-rip from the original source. crappy media could be the problem or the files are corrupt, use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim burning at 6x to 8x max for best results

17. Mar000

Mar000 Member

i stand corrected sorry about that.

18. Amanita54

Amanita54 Member

Unfortunately I think a Samsung SH-S202J doesn't allow Disc Quality Scans with Nero (or any other program). The Disc Quality test is greyed out. I'm sure you're correct that the errors are much greater at 20X and it's just error recovery that hides it visually.

Now that I've done a few and it was so straightforeward I'm reading the forums/guides here about the use of DVDRebuilder (as you suggested) for improved quality. Heck, it's not my time, it's the computer's time.

Thanks again for your and cyprusrom's help. This thread should actually be in the DVD+/-R for newbies forum since you present a basic, concise guide to get the newbie backing up DVDs quickly. Excellent thread for newbies, and I speak from experience.

Have fun.

19. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I think thread placement is nearly moot considering most of the regulars frequently link it to those in need.

It is a good guide, and we've used it often and will continue to do so, methinks.

20. sheenobi

sheenobi Member

I am using AnyDVD + CloneDVD program. The movie WAR is the only dvd I have trouble with. As soon as the dvd is inserted into the drive, a warning message appear up on the screen (by AnyDVD):
    AnyDVD 6.4.6.9

Failed to read DVD!

This could have several reason:

1. DVD Media is dirty, you can try to clean it.

2. DVD Media is damaged, you have to replace it.

3. Your drive is a region locked RPC2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and you try to read a DVD from a different region.

Known drive having this problem are RICOH/PHILIPS DVD Writers and Matshita/Panasonic DVD reader and writers. You can try to find a RPC1 patched firmware at http://www.rpc1.com

4. Your drive is an RPC2 drive that has not yet been assigned a Region. Try to assign one, or try to find a RPC1 patched firmware at http://rpc1.com

[OK]

I was able to watch the movie on a dvd set-up player and on my PC normally. Other original dvds went smoothly with AnyDVD and so happen WAR dvd is my first encounter to have a challenge. I haven't try using FixVTS or VOBBlanker as I don't know if I should. I checked out www.rpc1.org website and um, I will have to dig more into it.