1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Copy Protected PS2 Games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Lucifer82, Aug 30, 2002.

1. kaushik

kaushik Member

hi, i am thinking about getting a dvd-rw and i was wondering that if i get an original ps2 game, would i be able to copy it onto a dvd-r and play it on my ps2, i have the new magic mod chip that can play dvds, can anyone tell me if i should consider buying a dvd-rw?

2. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

get a +rw (more compatible) of course you should buy one cause you can copy ps2 and movies, 4.4 GB of data- and cd-rs will be out of date soon.

3. gpbdkj

gpbdkj Guest

If anyone can help with this question I would be in your debt.... Can anyone tell me or does anyone know how To copy a CD in CDF file system format with out using linux?

Let me know Please..

mH249@EARTHLINK.NET

4. hm1

hm1 Regular member

I'm an Alcohol 120% fan myself

This software rocks

5. Phat_Man

Phat_Man Member

Hey I have back up games dvd and cd's and im trying to copy them are they ok to use? and if yes which is the best way as i seem to be having problems making copies and images of them?

6. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

can u take cd-rom based original ps2 games and put them on a DVD-R so that they would work with the magic swap and flip-top on a v9 since the cd magic swap doesnt wor kon this version

7. jjplapjnp

jjplapjnp Member

read my last post. The "updated" 3.0 version of SM works with v9 and v10 consoles.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]J[/small]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  8. 666Hate

666Hate Member

alright maybe someone can help me. I've got DVD decrypter, I've made back-ups of a few of my games, using DVD Decrypter to rip and write the ISO images.
    Vice City, no problems. Castlevania LOI, received errors after 100% completion of write phase on one try, and then another error the 2nd time around 95% completion but both discs will play in the ps2. My last try was Mafia, totally unsuccessful in the writeing phase, only got to 85% and then had an error.
    I use a UN-modded PS2 with swap magic & flip-top lid.
    I was looking around the web and it seem's some other people have had troubles backing up MAFIA also.
    Please, any help on how to resolve this error issue I am experincing with DVD Decrypter will be greatly appreiciated. If some one could at least direct in the right place with some extensive information on DVD Decrypter and how to resolve writing error's.
    Some help on burning MAFIA, if any one has done it, would also rule.
    [bold]EVIL ALL THE TIME[/bold]

9. JGmhz

JGmhz Member

jjplapjnp, thanks for the great info about the "updated" 3.0 version of SM that works with v9 and v10 consoles. I have a v9. Do you have any recommendations as to where to buy the "updated" 3.0 version of SM? I'm also looking for a fliptop. Any recommendations. THANKS!

10. jjplapjnp

jjplapjnp Member

666Hate, have you tried using Nero or Alcohol 120%?

JGmhz, I went with the slide-card as opposed to the flip-top, but both and the updated version of SM can be found at mod-chip.com. I confirmed with their guys that this is definitely the updated version of SM. I ordered it last Friday and should receive it anyday now.

11. JGmhz

JGmhz Member

jjplapjnp, oh you order it?! Cool, hope everything works out for you. Thanks for letting us know that you confirmed it is the updated version of SM. I'll check out their site, sounds great. Let us know how your updated version of SM works for you. Thanks!!! Why did you go with the slide card vs. the fliptop? I do not hear too much about the slide card. People seem to like the fliptop. I am trying to decide what to buy. The flip sounded pretty cool. OK thanks again!

12. jjplapjnp

jjplapjnp Member

Just a matter of preference why I chose the slide-card. If I experience any probs, I'm sure I'll be posting them someplace...

13. Yome

Yome Member

Hey guys, I am new to the playstation 2 modification ideas, I wanted to make sure that if I got a mod chip I would not need a slide card or a flip top, but if I got magic swap I would not need the mod chip but would need one of the other two, correct?

14. jjplapjnp

jjplapjnp Member

Just a quick note, the new Swap Magic and slide card work fine with my v10 PS2.

Yome, mod chips will void your warranty, just be aware of that. That's the main reason why I chose the Swap Magic/slide card combo because you don't need to crack the case. Grant it, you have to use the slide-card, but it's extrememly easy. Once you've done it once, it's cake. I'm not sure if you need SM with a mod-chip. Search around in these forums. You'll find it.

15. 2crucial

2crucial Member

What’s up All...
    I'm new to the forum... I've been reading over everyone’s suggestions and I’m full of questions!!! What I got out of it is basically your best bet of making a back up copy of a PS2 Game is to use Nero and DVD Decrypter.

Ok... I kind of have a problem. I use Roxio Easy Cd Creator 5 and you cannot have Nero and Roxio installed they conflict with each other. I have used Nero in the past, but I just prefer to use Roxio has anyone used Roxio and DVD Decrypter?

I'm assuming it makes no difference whether you use Roxio or Nero because you’re just using it as a burning utility to burn to the DVD, right?!?

Ok 2nd question… I understand that there will have to be some modifications in order to play a copied game in the console. From the looks of it the Slide Card w/Swap Magic 3.0 Discs is the Best Bet because you don’t have to open your console and VOID your warranty!!! After doing some research online I was able to find a few sites that sell it, but it says “The Slide-Card is an easy and affordable way to play your PS2 CD-R or DVD-R backups or original import games.” Does that mean that it will not work with DVD+R’s or was that a generic way of just writing DVD-R and not actually referencing to a DVD-R or a DVD+R??? Has anyone used this with a DVD+R Burner????

Ok now my final question, but I’m sure not my last. If in fact the Slide Card w/Swap Magic 3.0 Discs will work with a DVD+R Burner where is the best place to buy it or what is a good price?

16. KissMyAss

KissMyAss Guest

Two quick and unrelated questions:

1) Why does GTA3, which is 1 DVD, burn to 2 identical DVD+R's? I used Clony XXL to detect the Safedisc 2.51 copyguard, transfered that info to Alcoholer, and then finally to Alcohol, where it burned two DVD's from the same image.

Both games boot up and play successfully, but I just can't understand why there are two. Please, someone explain!

2)Is there a way to disable the parental control lock for watching DVDs on PS2? It's such a pain to have to enter in a password every single time!

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

17. jjplapjnp

jjplapjnp Member

2crucial, can't tell you why Nero and Roxio are colliding. I have both installed, along with Alcohol and DVD Decrypter. So far, I've liked using DVD Decrypter the best to backup games. Most of the time you'll only need to use one program. It appears there are some games out there with more intrusive copyright software on them in which case you'll have to search around for the fix.

Depending on your version of PS2, DVD + will work fine. I think from v7 and up will play +'s. I just bought through modchip.com and everything is good so far.

18. delusi0n

delusi0n Guest

<a href="google.com">google</a>

yea that will work too

19. tschoo

tschoo Member

I was just reading up on PS2 backup copies.

The GameShark 2 says you can play backup without a mod chip. Does anyone know if this will work? Does anyone have experience with playing backups on a PS2 using GameShark 2? The GameShark 2 also says it will allow play of any Region Coded DVD.

I don't have a GameShark 2 to check this out, but if it worked I would seriously consider getting one. I have already broke my Nascar 2004 disc by stepping on it(it was even in the case).

Thanks.

20. delusi0n

delusi0n Guest

i would believe it, because i had a Game Shark Pro for a ps1 back in the day, and i knew a trick that would let u play backed up games, which the game shark pro allowed. But the way it worked is, you put an original CD in there, then you do the trick and it stops spinnign it, then u would swap it to a backup and hit play and your done. It is possible to swap disks with PS2, but its a hassle, you have to take the fromof the cd tray off, and use some kind of a thing to pull the tray out. I think i would get the game shark and try it out.