how to copy xbox games?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by dzuldare, Aug 19, 2005.

1. dzuldare

dzuldare Regular member

hi, why won't my dvd rom detect xbox games? is there a way to do this. what does ftp stand for? does it mean i need to get a network cable and put in in the xbox to the network card on my pc? are there any other steps involved? i downloaded qwix and craxtion 4. can someone just tell me the very simple, but detailed explaination on how to do this. i have not yet got a mod chip, but i want to be sure i can copy them first. oh and is there a way to play them without a mod chip, like swap magic that ps2 has?

2. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Lets pick this apart...

When you ask "why won't my dvd rom detect xbox games?" Are you refering to the Drive on your XBOX™ or PC? 'Cause if you were refering to the XBOX™ then you sir have big problem. Given that your refering to the original Discs and not Backups that is.

But, lets assume for a moment you ment the PC. You can not read the contents of a XBOX™ Game Disc (or Native HDD for that matter), on your PC because Microsoft have developed a different File System for the XBOX™ that is not undersatandable to your PC. This File Format is calle the XFS or XBOX™ File System and Window can not natively read into such a File Sytem. Thuss you can not copy your Game Disc's on the PC.

FTP stands for 'File Transfer Protocal'. And yes it means that you'll have to end up connecting your PC to the XBOX™. Be this over a Router / Internet Switch, or a crossover NIC2NIC connection. You'll have to make some kind of connection between those Two devices. And that's all you are going to get from me on that topic Remember Google is your Friend!!

To answer your last question...

You'll need to 'Softmod' (in your case a poor idea), or either to get a Modchip (better idea). There is no 'Swap Disc' trick that I've ever heard about for the XBOX™. But, the procedure I use to copy a Game Disc for Backup (or longterm storage and playback from the HDD) are.
    to use a Program called DVD2Xbox which will bascly copy a Game Disc to the HDD either at F:\Games or G:\Games (is G:\ when F:\ is over 137Gb's in size). So you'll likey want to kick out that cruddy 10Gb stock HDD for something Beefer.

As for a Makeing DVD Backups something of a hobby for PS2 users I soppose. In that case I'd use Quix! there are some other Porgrams out there that could do the same thing I just like Quix! But in anycase you'd just insert the Game Disc after you booted into a replacement Dashbaord (i.e Evox or better yet Avalaunch) with a properly configured Network setup between your PC and the XBOX™. And then following the simple on-screen instrutions proceed to make what is called a XISO File which you'd end up burning to a DVD±R with your chiose of Software as a standerd ISO Image...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  3. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Here's some helpful links for you...

[bold]Learn how to FTP to your Xbox:[/bold]

http://webpages.charter.net/modchipzone/ftpingproblem.htm

[bold]Learn how to backup your Xbox games:[/bold]

http://webpages.charter.net/modchipzone/backupxboxgames.htm

If you decide to go w/ a modchip, in the below link you will find modchip guides to help you out. I suggest getting the Xecuter 3ce chip (you can get a solderless adapter for this chip if you do not like soldering) I always point people to http://www.mod-chip.com or http://www.modwhiz.com to order their chips.

http://webpages.charter.net/modchipzone/gettingstarted.htm

If you decide to softmod, check out this little guide:

http://minnwild.8.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=858

4. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Dang Pimp,
    Wish I had guides like that when I was starting out with mods. I had to claw and scratch to find my own fixes and what-not...

5. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

hahaha...

Well I know how hard it is trying to search for all of that information, so that is basically why I started that little site I have, to help beginners out.

6. chonki

chonki Member

Hey, I'm sorry for having to say this but... I am thinking of getting an Xbox, (i have a ps2 that i was just using swap magic with but its screwd up plus xbox is better :) and I am thinking of getting the Xecutor3, and thanks pimp for the site, now ill be able to know how to put it in, flash, etc. But my problem is I have a friend who got an xbox already modded and full of games from his brotherinlaw, and he can just put games or music cds in and rip them to his hard drive, also he has some kind of start up screen where he choses music, play games from hdd, etc. Now the ugly part: Just by doing all the stuff it says in the "Very Basic X3 Guide" will i be able to do that too?
    Sorry foir the stup questionand bring story, but if anyone has any tips or ideas id like to hear them, by the way im also tight on money, im probably gonna sell my ps2 at a gamestop to get some for the xbox, so any money savers would also be good. Thanks alot

p.s. Also i know its a very easy guide, but I dont understand some things, mostly because of the technical terms (haha im stupid)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  7. CDRWWW

CDRWWW Member

im sorry but what the hell is a "dashboard?" i do not know what it refers to please help. big newbie here.

8. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

It's the screen you see on your xbox when it's at idle.
    Unmodded Xbox: would be the that displays the music folder, memory folder, etc.
    Modded Xbox: there are several available (i.e. EvoX, Avalaunch, UnleashX, etc.)

They serve as navigation through your system. Of course the versions for the modified xbox are more involved.

9. CDRWWW

CDRWWW Member

oh man, thanks. but hey unique1. may i have your aim or msn somehow so i can ask you a couple more questions? please please please. thanks a whole bunch.

brian

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  10. chonki

chonki Member

yeah, if someone would be willing to help a complete newb when i get my xbox that is, could i get an email?
    ThanX

11. dzuldare

dzuldare Regular member

oh my, i am sorry guys. after i started this thread, i found some info and realized i should not have asked here because there are other thread s that answered everything. i did not realize this thread was still here. oh well. i will read what you guys have said and get back to ya's. on another note. i don't know if anybody has heard of this, but under this website: http://www.howtocopydvds.com/ i see there is a program called "game switch pro". it claims to let you play xbox games on ps2 and vis versa and some other scheems. i did a search on game switch pro and i found nothing. now my big idea is this: copying xbox games is very complicated. it is posible but i am not sure i want to go though with it. so... why can't i just buy the xbox backups and play them though the ps2 using swap magic and this "game switch pro"?????

12. chonki

chonki Member

sorry dzuldare, but i really doubt any of that is true, its probably all a big scam, i read somewhere that the ps2 and xbox games have somekind of different coding or something like that, therefor making it imposible

13. dzuldare

dzuldare Regular member

hi again. ok i have a huge idea! assuming i get my xbox modded , it is possible to play ps2 games on it...i think. here is what i was thinking. now i know some mod chips for xbox( i am not sure all of them) will play roms. you can have snes and sega and some others on the hard drive or on dvdr. the mod chip loads the emulator and you can play them. well there is a emulator for ps2 , so why can't you get that emulator and put it on the xbox hard drive or dvdr right next to the list of other emulators. why would this not work?
    oh and i am not sure what mod chip to buy, any ideas. i do want a very good one and i want it to be able to use emulators . i don't want to spend too much money on it. i don't care how many wires i have to sodder as long as i have a diagram.

14. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

It may be possible but I doubt that you would be pleased with the results.Xbox [bold]is[/bold]
    more powerful than the PS2 but to emulate a console in software would require alot more processing power than an xbox could provide.
    A very simple ps2 game may run but the framrate and controls on a more complex ps2 game would probably be horrible.

15. chonki

chonki Member

yeah for roms on xbox n64 and down would be your best bet

16. jaehomo

jaehomo Regular member

the thing is when you emulate something your emulating the hardware and the software... so the real hardware must be many times more powerful than the actual system being emulated.

17. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@chonki
    In response yo your post a a few lines up...

When you get your xbox and decide to mod it, just post when you have problems you can't solve. I'm sure you noticed that no one put their email address in this thread like you asked; that's because it's against forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  18. chonki

chonki Member

right! how could I have forgotten, i knew that, well im gonna probably go to gamestop or eb games tomorrow and trade in my ps2 and all its junk, well see what i get from there, plus tomorrow i get paid! :) Ill probably be posting back though because problems are guarranteed he. thanks

p.s. im not really a newbie to this forum, just havnt posted alot, or in along time.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  19. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

No problem we all forget sometimes. Any way, you post when you hit dead ends but REMEMBER search first 'cause the answer may already be in the forum. Since you've been around, I'm sure you know what I'm getting at ;) Later.

20. chonki

chonki Member