How to crop an mpeg, make it smaller on the screen

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dchbbcya, May 7, 2009.

1. dchbbcya

dchbbcya Member

Hi
    I want to know if there is a way to make an mpeg smaller on the screen? I know how to compress it's file size and make it shorter, that's not what I need.
    I'm making a video for a presentation at a theater and I was there today to see the equipment. The projector and screen are fixed in place and the smallest the projector can be adjusted down, is to throw a 12'H x 16' 6" W image. It has "barn door" adjustments to make it look smaller (which I want, it has to fit into some scenery), but that will crop out some of the image. So I'm trying to make the video appear more at the center of the projected image. I can crop my jpegs to be smaller and that will work, but I don't know if it can be done with a mpeg movie. I have Adobe Premier Pro CS3 (that I just started using and don't know much about) and I have Ulead Video Studio 11 and Ulead Video Editor. Any help? Thanks.

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Hi David!

If are playing them thru a windows computer try playing them with Media Player Classic as you can use the Number Pad keys to zoom out, giving you a (for example) 1/2 size video picture that sits in the middle of your screen with out cropping.

hope that helps!

Regards
    Nick

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. dchbbcya

dchbbcya Member

Thanks. What I really needed was a was to shrink the picture so it would be in the middle when I burn it to a dvd. I did find how to do it with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. There is a option to shrink it by any percent and move it anywhere within the screen. Then save it as an Mpeg and burn it so it plays back that way. Thanks again.

4. Gurenn

Gurenn Member

Are you trying to change its resolution or just crop it? If I were you I would reencode it to a resolution that is viewable on your projector using opensource encoders. There is a lot of good ones on this forum.