1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Download Files Via Newsgroups.*UPDATED 8TH FEB 07*

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by JParkes, Sep 2, 2006.

1. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

[bold]Hi, I keep getting people asking about the best way to download games, movies, music and pictures. Your answer is newsgroups.[/bold]
    [bold]Required programs[/bold]
    News File Grabber: http://www.rsbr.de/Software/nfg/download_eng.htm
    winRAR: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    NewsRover: http://www.newsrover.com/getit.htm
    find your broadbrand internet providers newsgroup on this link:
    http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
    A brain
    Main Tutorial

Step 1: After installing News File Grabber (Now NFG) a window will pop up enter your server
    ISP. If you dont know your server address check the link ^^.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: A new window will come up with loads of binaries. Just Click OK .
    [​IMG]

Step 5: Go to Newzbin.com find something that suits you to download and click it.

Step 6: It will show you the name of the NFO that is in the files you want, copy the main bit, eg. allstars.nfo - simply copy allstars.

Step 7: Go to Binsearch and paste the main bit of the nfo (without .nfo on the end!) and search. When its found the files you want, simply check the box next to it and click 'Create NZB'
    [This Tutorial Continues After I explain what an NZB file is]

[bold]Part 2: What the Hell are NZB. files?[/bold]
    Tutorial using NewsRover:
    NZB Files are a very useful extension invented by UseNet Newsgroup.

Step 1:find an NZB file that it says contains a file you're interested in and download it.

Step 2: When its finished the download simply double click the downloaded file in the Newsrover file selection window.

Step 3:It will come up saying something like Download all RAR files contained in NZB select yes.

Step 4: If you take a look in your download queue the RAR parts will automatically start downloading! leave there for a couple of hours. And save all parts on your computer.

Main Tutorial Continued

Step 8: Once you download the NZB in NFG click the 'NZB Files' tab and click 'Add' at the side of the drop down box. Add your NZB File you just Downloaded from Binsearch.
    [​IMG]

Step 9: Once Files are loaded, select them all and click 'Download Selected Articles Now'This will download the articles. Duh!

Step 10: Your Files may have came with Par2 files. Once you have downloaded all Rar parts simply run QuickPar with these files.
    [Main Tutorial Continues After Explanation Of Par2 files]

[bold]Part 3:What are PAR2 files and SFV files?[/bold]

A: SFV Files.
    SFV files are very helpful files that allow you to observe how many RAR files are in a file and if you download them all you can find out if they are corrupt or not - this is where PAR2 files come in.

B: PAR2 Files.
    PAR2 files are the most helpful files of all. If you have corrupt RAR file/s you can simply repair them by downloading the PAR files that come in the file package. You need to download quickpar to do this and for SFV files.
    QuickPar download link: http://www.quickpar.org.uk/Download-0.9.1.0.htm

[Main Tutorial Continued]

Step 11: Once you run a Par2 file that comes with the RAR files you downloaded simply run one with quickpar, once its loaded all parts if it says repair on the window simply click it then wait about 5 mins.

Step 12: Once it's repaired simply extract your file with WinRAR.

Done!

Easiest way to download files.
    Here is a guide to easily show how to download NZB's.
    Sites Needed:
    NewzBin:What files have been uploaded e.g. Movies, Games, Apps, PC Games and more.
    BinSearch:Where you download the NZB files from.
    Step 1: Take a look at Newzbin and see if theres any files you fancy.
    Step 2: If there is click it and have a look at file size. E.g. I fancy Resident Evil 4 PAL for PS2.
    [​IMG]
    Step 3: This file doesnt have an NFO, this could be a problem as if it does you can narrow down the search more in BinSearch. I go to Binsearch and search 'resident evil 4'.
    [​IMG]
    Step 4: Save NZB to your HD and simply import to your newsreader.

Other Newsreaders
    There is lots of newsreaders out there. The best ones are NFG and Newsrover. I like superNZB but it has loads of bugs. If you try a different newsreader that you think is better then these ones please tell me, as I've been looking for better ones recently. I wouldnt recommend using anythinhg where you have to handpick each part out of search results. I will list some newsreaders that are descent and i use.
    Newzrobot
    Newzbin
    News File Grabber
    SuperNZB
    Grabit
    Xnews
    thats about it. Like I said, find a newsreader you like tell me by PM or this thread.
    UPDATE 07/03/09: Newsgroups have recently become more trouble then they are worth. When I wrote this guide, newsgrouping was a lot easier, but recently newsgroups have become more trouble than they are worth. Newzbin have closed down their website to the public and i have found no other site that matches the quality Newzbin used to have. Everything in the guide is still valid, except Newzbin has closed down to the public.
    Thanks
    Jparkes

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Why would anyone want to go through this much work with a newsleecher ? Ever heard of nzb's ? :)

3. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

NZB's are files that allow you to download one file that downloads all the RAR parts for you. how longs does it take to download a game via bittorrent?
    UPDATE: PAR2 and SFV files added. Got rid of Xnews as it was a terrible reader.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That was a retorical question dude... I've been using Newsgroups since before the internet got big.. must have been around '93 :)

What i meant was that since most binary groups will have nzb's for their files, maybe you should include their use in your tutorial so it will be more complete, not to mention using nzb's is less work than selecting all the files by hand..
    And let's not forget sometimes people upload several objects at once, which means sometimes you'd have to manually pic the right files out of the list... not good if there are 500 rar files.

As for your question on torrents, my usual speed are around 6-8 mbit, depending on conditions and number of people connected, so downloading a game would take a little over 1½ hours or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
  5. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

So which one is the best to have Bittorrent or Newsgroups.Because i have Bittorrent and i like it alot eazy to use.

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I use both. There is no best, as you cannot compare them.
    Usenet is just downloading, no upload unless you chose to upload to a server/group, and will use as much bandwidth as your Usenet and internet connections allow.

7. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

damit, rogers doesent have a newsgroup.

8. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

well, there is other ISP lists out there - that's just one of them try searching.

9. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

most ISP newslist have nothing on them at all, mine has newsgroup stuff and on it is absoluting nothing just people ranting about tech help, most stuff is on alt.binaries as i undertand

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

My ISP has a proper news server, i've got all my favorite binaries listed, and i have my Usenext subscription for whatever my ISP's server doesn't have.

11. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Well, Can I just say whilst i remember u don't have to use Xnews as a newreader I also use NewsRover. My internet download speed is around 100kbps. I know - slow. Especially when downloading torrents as it is faster if more people are downloading so when i use torrents its like 50kbps. It takes like 6hours to download one game on torrents it took me
    3 hours to download a 3.8gig RAR compressed file, Also I hate torrents due to viruses some idiots put in games ect. and on newgroups you know almost exactly what your downlading.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That's a good point, however, there are of course tons of private torrent sites where you could get those things you want to have without getting virusses.
    As for newsreaders/downloaders, i prefer using Grabit, makes things so much less complicated.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006
  13. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

[bold]Update: NZB part 2 now added.[/bold]
    Yes I've heard of grabit is it any good?
    And by the way what do you think of my tutorial is it good, bad or just complet crap. please be honest.

14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Now that you've covered NZB's it's a lot more like a proper tutorial.
    It's pretty clear about what to do, so i'd give it an 8 out of 10.
    However, supplying the users with a bit more info about possible alternative newsreaders and payed newsgroups might make it even better.
    Then again, that's how i see it, and since this is your tutorial, it should be up to you what comes in it and what doesn't.
    If you want, i can write a bit about Grabit for you to add, and a bit about .PAR files so the tutorial covers a bit more ground than just the basics.

As for my personal opinion about Grabit, i'd say it's excellent, and if you pay for the Grabit search function *Only 2 bucks i think*, then it's
    so easy to use it almost rivals the ease of using torrents.

15. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

As for writing abit about PAR files and more newsreader sounds good mate thanks will u PM me the info or what by the way I will put down if i add it written by JParkes and The fiend so yeah by all means pm me the info.
    As for grabit sounds good gonna check it out thanx mate.
    Checked it out its excellent thanks.

16. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'll write a few bits later today/tomorrow, and i'll send them to you in a pm.

17. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Again thanx alot.

18. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

hello?

19. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Sorry, busy workschedule here, been working long hours... i'll try to get it done tonight.

20. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

ummmm..... I might just write it myself - could be quicker.