How to find signal for MMDS

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by BoxedOut, Sep 22, 2008.

1. BoxedOut

BoxedOut Member

I have got TheBox-T and a MMDS aerial with power downverter and I used a compass at a mates house a few miles away to see what way his is pointing and I'm pointing mine the same but how do I know if I'm getting signal, in the manual scan there is 2 bars with % will that indicate if I'm pointing the right way?

2. satguy99

satguy99 Member

this method will not work, imagine you are in cork and i am in kerry and we both look north, we will not be looking at the same point in the distance will we,

3. BoxedOut

BoxedOut Member

Ok well my mate s nearby and I found another house very near and I'm pointing it in the same direction but the signal stays on 0, I have the panaorma aerial with discs on it, if I am too low by 5 or 6 feet will I get 0 signal???

4. BoxedOut

BoxedOut Member

5. satguy99

satguy99 Member

are you in a c*oru$ area or a NThell area

6. BoxedOut

BoxedOut Member

Ch0ru$

7. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The aerial has a other downconverting frequency than a ch*rus thingy.
    You should get the first valid frequency at 682 or 690mhz.

8. satguy99

satguy99 Member

c*oru$ down converters output at 214 to 400mhz but as you have a generic integrated aerial/ down converter the output will be different, that said as long as you are ligned up in line with your neigbours aerial and at at least the same height, remember do not go higher than your neighbour as your signal may get swamped by the local main transmitter or beam bender, try the manual scan and let us know how you get on.

9. Milner2k

Milner2k Member

aerial is fine, make sure its setup correctly for v or h polarization

10. BoxedOut

BoxedOut Member

how do I change v and h ?

11. Milner2k

Milner2k Member

look at the back of the aerial, you'll see markings for V and H. Depending on whether your pointing at a main broadcasting site or a beam bender will depend on wheter you should have H or V pointing up.

Look at aerials around you, the bar in the center has a rectangle piece at the top, if thats horizontal then on the back of your aerial the H's arrow should be pointing up (sorry if this is hard to understand)

once you've the aerial level and pointing in the general direction, see if you can do a manual scan starting at around 682 (as said below) and keep going up in jumps of 8mhz until you come accross signal strenght/quality tuning in, then you just need to move the aerial around till you get the best signal

12. BoxedOut

BoxedOut Member

Ok the penny has dropped now, I need to a manual scan with my aerial as it won't pick up anything on auto scan.

If I can't get this to work I was told an aerial with a downconvter of 222-408 will work better and I will be able to autoscan.

I'll try manual scan tomorrow evening and report back, thanks a million for all the help so far

13. bosco2909

bosco2909 Member

Hi BoxedOut, I also have TheBox-T and a MMDS aerial with power downverter (same aerial as you) and I have the same problem as you, I can not get a signal at all, I know TheBox-T works because I have tried it on a current ChXXXs user and it works fine.

Have you had any joy setting it up ??

14. glog

glog Member

Bosco2909,
    Interested to see if you got your kit working ?
    I plan to do similar install in next week or so.

Any hints/advice/pitfalls you know of ?

Thanks in advance,
    gLog

15. bosco2909

bosco2909 Member

Hey glog, got it going alright last week, works perfectly ... done a manual scan starting at 682, added 8 each time and done another manual scan, ie at 690, 698, 706, etc.. I also went down from 682 in jumps of 8 and it picked up a few more channel. I then followed the rest of the instructions with the box and it worked perfectly.

Lining up the aerial is no big deal either, does not have to be exact, once its pointing in the general direction it woks fine.

good luck !!

16. glog

glog Member

Hi Bosco,
    Thanks for that.Gives me some confidence.

Couple of further questions:

- During the initial set up of the aerial is there some way of
    of scanning the box/TV to quickly home in on the rough positioning of the aerial ?

-After a rough positioning is attained is there some way on Box to fine tune or tweak to get optimum signal ?

Thanks very much in advance
    gLog

17. bosco2909

bosco2909 Member

Yes, if you go in to the manual scan menu and select the correct freq to scan the box displays signal strenght and quality, you can also use this to fine tune if you like ... I have a direct line of sight to the transmitter and it works perfectly, pointing the antenna in the general direction of the antenna picks up a sufficient signal, you should have no issues once you are scanning the correct frequencies.

18. glog

glog Member

Thanks Bosco

19. irishman7

irishman7 Member

Have been following this thread is this option available in Roscommon area

20. glic83

glic83 Regular member

it all depends who your cable provider is if its chorus then yes its available if its ntl than provide then you will need a c tunner as ntl mmds uses c, chorus mmds uses t,but as far as i know its chorus where you are mate