How to make a ringtone for iphone or iphone 3Gs for free.

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by jonqwe, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jonqwe

jonqwe Member

I CHANGED SOME STEPS BELOW TO MAKE IT EASIER,
    I got my imformation from this site

Click here

Step 1

Open iTunes.

Step 2

Find the song that you want to make into a ringtone.

Step 3

Listen to the song and find the part of it you want to use.
    The chorus may be a good place to start.

Step 4

Write down the start and stop times of the clip.
    e.g.start 1:45 end 1:175, gives you a 30sec ringtone starting 1min 45secs into song

Step 5

Right-click the song and select "Get Info."

Step 6

Click the "Options" tab.

Step 7

Type in the start time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Start Time" in the minutes:seconds (i.e., 2:01) format, or minutes:seconds.milliseconds (i.e. 1:40.456)
    Remember to Tick the check box beside start and stop time.

Step 8

Type in the end time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Stop Time." Make sure the ringtone is no more than 40 seconds long.

Step 9

Click "OK."

Step 10

Highlight your song, click "ADVANCED", "create AAC version" Wait for iTunes to convert your song. It will create a duplicate version.

Step 11

Right-click the shortened duplicate song just created and select "Delete."

Step 12

Click on the "Keep Files" button.

Step 13

Find the file. It's usually in your User folder under "Music > iTunes > iTunes Music" and under the band's name, or in the Unknown Artist> Unknown Album. It will have an extension of m4a.

Step 14

1. replace the m4a extension of your ringtone with m4r. (Eg. On a Windows PC, I renamed the file ring1 then put it in the root dir of my drive (C:\), then went to "Command Prompt", (START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>COMMAND PROMPT) and typed the command;

cd\

(to jump back to the root of my drive (C:\))

and then changed the name of the ring1.m4a file using the following command;

rename ring1.m4a ring1.m4r

You may now close the Command prompt

Step 15

Double-click the ringtone file.iTunes will automatically add it to your ringtones folder in your iTunes Music Library.
    ( do not delete this file as iTunes does not move it or copy it)
    ( I found it helpfull to create a folder within your default iTunes folder and call it "Ringtones". Then copy your ringtone here before double clicking them to add them to iTunes).

Step 16

Connect your iPhone and sync your ringtones. ( click on your iPhone on the left menu, then click the "Ringtones" tab then tick the box "SYNC RINGTONES", now click the "Selected Ringtones" option. and select your ringtones to be Sync'ed up.)

Step 17
    On your iPhone, goto Settings>Sounds>Ringtone, your new ringtone should be here above the standard ones.

I Hope this helps everyone.

2. psy93

psy93 Member

an even easier way in Step 14 is to just right click, rename, *******.m4r