how to slow cpu?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hutc, Jul 26, 2003.

1. hutc

hutc Member

im trying to run an old pc game but the computer is too fast, how can i slow the computer , maybe by using less cpu?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Huh?? Slow it down. Thats the first time i've ever heard that asked.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I know I read and laughed since usually it is the other way around!

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You would understand if you tried to play Starwars (the arcade game -- that game was already WAAAAAAYYY too fast when playing on a P133).

hutc: There are several things you can do
    -Slow down your CPU (in the bios)
    -Slow down your RAM (in the bios)
    -Use the harddrive on PIO Mode
    -Disable video acceleation
    -Play the game off a floppy disc
    -Encode multiple movies in the background, running a virus scan, copying 100Gb back and forth, running a burn-in program AND having a couple windows of UT2K3 open at high resolution, windowed mode) .. your computer should be sufficiently slow
    -Or you could probably buy a 486 for $1 at a local university ;P

5. Dela

hehehe still cant get over that :D

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Me too Dela. Slowing down computers lol. What's next.....

Why not just buy the new version of the game or something. If a P133 is too fast, then the game is useless anyway. Pac Man quality or something. lol ;-)

7. Dela

Hey dont u dare diss pacman, I used to spend hours playing that game man!

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - sorry ;-)

9. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Load Runner and Sopwith, were amazing games. But a 386 is too much and with Sopwith you crash into the mountain when you take off.
    Hutc if you compurter has a turbo button on the outside, click it out. But only 486 and 386, I have seen still have it activated. What that does is drops the cpu to around 4Hz, instead of 25 for 386 or 66 or the 486. But if you have a pentium, it may not have the button. For Pentiums, I have had some success with about 20 to 25 Windows open. If you have internet access open up a lot of thread pages with Oriphus grim reeper, I notice with 20 pages open with lots of those images my P4 is really slowed down.

10. Dela

open windows media player and put on a file and put on visualisations, that will kill the resorces a nice bit!

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Heres another grim reaper to help you on your way lol ;-)

12. Jay1b

Jay1b Member

Its really not that much of a silly question.

I had this old space fighter sim, which i use too love on my old 386. I tried playing it on my P3 866, within a second 1 crashed. I tried it on my old P150 laptop, but it had the same effect.

The problems is because in the past programmers use to use clock cycles to measure timing events, as processors got faster this time period shrunk significantly. Now they use milliseconds to measure timing events, so you wont have a problems with games upto about 8/9 years old. But games much older than that will mostly run to fast.

You can get a program to run in the background that will let you slow your computer down to a 486 sort of speed, i did once have a copy, but not for a long time.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No one said it was stupid. We were just laughing because we had never heard it before

14. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I have heard of under clocking a processor to lower the necesity of cooling. Doing that people could have a computer in their living room with decent enough power to play music and surf the net, but it would be very quite. like it was said before, just lower your clock multiplyer. I suppose that in a pinch you could run seti in real time or set its priority higher than your game. On second thought don't run seti in real time, it'l eat your computer alive.

15. hutc

hutc Member

Thanks for all the answers.( I was happy to bring some laughs into your life (-:
    im running a P1000 with GforceII and 384 ram,
    and sopwith was great...

16. Xian

Xian Regular member

There used to be some dos programs that would slow your pc down, moslow was the name of one that I had used in the past. I remember trying to play the original XT Frogger on a 386 years ago. Since the XT ran at 4.77mhz and my 386 was 25mhz, it was way too fast. The cars and trucks on the highway had to have been doing warp 9 and only a suicidal frog would have even thought of trying to venture across. Moslow worked like a charm, though I had to play with settings a bit. I don't know if it would run on a modern OS but I am sure a quick search for it would find it on the net. I think Origin even included it on their Ultima 1-7 compilation CD a while back since you needed something like that to play the older ones.